Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 3:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 5
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 29th May 16, 2:48 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    So creation everyday credit is operating EXACTLY the same as Halifax claritycard ?

If it is interest they are referring to for “ … Low cash withdrawal charges “ then I think it is not accurate, charges is difference with interest and there are a lot of charges and loading might apply to creditcard for foreign currency.
    Originally posted by adindas
    What on earth and you going on about? The wording comes from MSE, not Creation. Speak to their copywriters. It's better than the Clarity, as the Clarity now offers 18.9% to new customers.
    http://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
    • EllieG63
    • By EllieG63 1st Jun 16, 8:45 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EllieG63
    Creation card feedback
    I have had this card for a few months now and the savings on Euro transactions are great. The account management pages on their website are a bit basic and its hard to work out the date for payments on there but they do send you a reminder email before its due and their customer services seem very helpful if you send an email with a question. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that goes into the Eurozone regularly and pays off their balance every month in full.
    • jonould
    • By jonould 2nd Jun 16, 7:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonould
    Creation Card
    Quick approval and good online site. Only drawback I've come across is that it doesn't link with my finance software for automatic balance downloads as no-one's heard of them - but no real issue.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 2nd Jun 16, 7:39 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I have had this card for a few months now and the savings on Euro transactions are great. The account management pages on their website are a bit basic and its hard to work out the date for payments on there but they do send you a reminder email before its due and their customer services seem very helpful if you send an email with a question. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that goes into the Eurozone regularly and pays off their balance every month in full.
    Originally posted by EllieG63
    Good not only in the Eurozone. Metro Bank credit(and debit) is equally good in SEPA..
    • heavenscanwait
    • By heavenscanwait 14th Jun 16, 4:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    heavenscanwait
    Clarity vs super card
    Hi
    I already have a Halifax clarity credit card and have now been offered travelex supercard, which created a lot of hype last year.
    Looking at the current article, I can't see any advantage in getting supercard over clarity. So I'm essentially looking for advice whether I should get supercard or not bother.
    Regards
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Jun 16, 5:33 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Will need to see the new term. Do they still treat the cash withdrawal abroad as purchase, like the old one did ? If so tt is better to have both clairy and Super card and then link your super card with clarity to get cashback of £5 for over £300 cash withdrawal.
    yes but with a 2.99% charge
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 14th Jun 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    dj1471
    So do you mean the new Travel card charge 2.99% for Cash withdrawal abroad now ??
    Yes.

Do not get it if you intend to withdraw cash.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Jun 16, 7:10 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    glentoran99
    The old one did not charge for cash withdrawal abroad. I had been using it.

So do you mean the new Travel card charge 2.99% for Cash withdrawal abroad now ??

Yes the new supercard will charge 2.99% for cash withdrawals
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Jun 16, 7:26 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Do you have any link about this new travel card or maybe discussion on MSE??
    FAQ in the new version of the app
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Jun 16, 8:45 PM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Thanks. So now this card can not be called travel credit card anymore.

If you are just using it for purchase. there are already quite a few credit cards are doing the same job or even better as some of them are Mastercard. Aqua, Capital one are a few to name.

The new comer Creation everyday Credit card is doing a better job. And It is a master card. I will apply in a few months time.
    It's a travel card that's ideal for purchases, especially if linked to a credit card with a reward scheme.

I can see uses for it. They don't involve an ATM though.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 14th Jun 16, 10:06 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    adindas
    It's a travel card that's ideal for purchases, especially if linked to a credit card with a reward scheme.

I can see uses for it. They don't involve an ATM though.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Of course they could call their card whatever they want but people could easily see that they are not attractive anymore like it used to be. Even just for purchase or cashback.

I do not see any use of to link supercard to other cards just for purchase and for reward scheme.
    For that purpose it is better to use that credit card directly without the need to get link from Supercard.

If people want to get cashback £5 on purchase equivalent of £300+ in foreign currency they are better off if they are using clarity card directly. For smaller purchase with cash back of 0.5% on foreign currency they are better off using Aqua or Capital one directly
    Last edited by adindas; 14-06-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 15th Jun 16, 1:42 AM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Of course they could call their card whatever they want but people could easily see that they are not attractive anymore like it used to be. Even just for purchase or cashback.
    Agreed.

I do not see any use of to link supercard to other cards just for purchase and for reward scheme.
    I have a credit card that pays me 1% cashback and charges a 3% currency fee. Linking that to Supercard ensures I get 1% cashback and no currency fee on purchases.

For that purpose it is better to use that credit card directly without the need to get link from Supercard.
    Unless I'm spending between £300 and £500 my plan is better value for me.

If people want to get cashback £5 on purchase equivalent of £300+ in foreign currency they are better off if they are using clarity card directly. For smaller purchase with cash back of 0.5% on foreign currency they are better off using Aqua or Capital one directly
    Although Halifax don't pay the £5 without a qualifying current account relationship and are reported to be ceasing paying the £5 on new cards according to a staff member on these forums.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jun 16, 7:13 AM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    adindas
    Emerging dodgy practice ???
    I have just observed emerging dodgy practice from non bank credit card. Learning from the past these travel credit cards issuer will give an incentive of fee free for foreign transaction, very good exchange rate. But sole interest is only to mine people data, with the possibility to cross sell or for marketing purposes or even sell your data ??

They will demand the people unnecessary procedure to download their apps to mine people data. Getting what they want, after they have got the people data, they will change the game (e.g. T&C) in the middle. Travelex, Revolut are just pioneers to name I wonder how many will follow the same track ??

IMO the watch dog should step up and ban this emerging dodgy practice.

People should be able to use the product irrespective their choice of accessing their account. People should always be given a choice to use or access the online account using any browser without the need to download apps.

If this trend continues without control and any bank, financial insitutions is demanding its apps to be installed to use its product, I wonder how many apps do you need to install on your phones ??? Not to mention the danger if you loose your phone with these dodgy apps with your sensitive financial information, cards, linking to this apps on your phone ???
    Last edited by adindas; 15-06-2016 at 7:36 AM.
    • Darian
    • By Darian 15th Jun 16, 9:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Darian
    Travel credit cards
    When abroad, I use Halifax Clarity. When paying for goods in shops or eating in restaurants the exchange rates are better than any rates offered at home or in the resort. I also deposit money to create a positive balance before going on holiday which means that interest is not charged for ATM cash withdrawals. With on line banking its easy to keep topping up the credit balance, if necessary, when you are abroad.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 15th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 14,739 Thanks
    jackieblack
    When abroad, I use Halifax Clarity. When paying for goods in shops or eating in restaurants the exchange rates are better than any rates offered at home or in the resort. I also deposit money to create a positive balance before going on holiday which means that interest is not charged for ATM cash withdrawals. With on line banking its easy to keep topping up the credit balance, if necessary, when you are abroad.
    Originally posted by Darian
    As long as you understand that this is in breach of the T&C of the account and have a back up plan in case your card is blocked.
    As you say, with on line banking its easy to make payments when you are abroad, so I will sometimes make an interim payment to cover the atm withdrawal once it hits the account, but I don't always bother as it is such a small amount and my holiday time is precious.
    Not worth the risk of having the card blocked to save pennies IMO
    Last edited by jackieblack; 15-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1073.85 (£700 offset), Oct £100.00

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jun 16, 11:23 AM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    adindas
    Just in case anyone want to know.
    The new supercard is Mastercard (not Visa) so slightly better exchnage rate then the expiry one which use Visa.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

But for cash withdrawal it is far from attractive considering the introduction of 2.99% for cash withdrawal in foreign currency in the new card.
    • clever_duck
    • By clever_duck 15th Jun 16, 9:47 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    clever_duck
    Quick question, is it generally better to take cash abroad or take one of these cards and use that to spend abroad ( I know it depends on the exchange rate you get on cash purchase that's why I'm asking generally)

Also second question Supercard or Halifax Clearity card?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th Jun 16, 10:06 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    adindas
    Quick question, is it generally better to take cash abroad or take one of these cards and use that to spend abroad ( I know it depends on the exchange rate you get on cash purchase that's why I'm asking generally)
    Originally posted by clever_duck
    Card e.g Zero fee for foreign transaction.
    But it is a good practice to have a small cash with you to be used as soon as you arrive before you could find a cash machine to withdraw cash.

Also second question Supercard or Halifax Clearity card?
    Halifax Clarity. But learn it how to avoid or minimize interest.
    • clever_duck
    • By clever_duck 15th Jun 16, 11:29 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    clever_duck
    Card e.g Zero fee for foreign transaction.
    But it is a good practice to have a small cash with you to be used as soon as you arrive before you could find a cash machine to withdraw cash.

Halifax Clarity. But learn it how to avoid or minimize interest.
    ah so go for one with no withdraw fees, then withdraw abroad. If you just want to pay via card only, then I guess the Supercard is better as no credit checks, etc.

And the Clarity card, to avoit interest, pay off in full monthly I guess.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 16th Jun 16, 3:56 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    ah so go for one with no withdraw fees, then withdraw abroad. If you just want to pay via card only, then I guess the Supercard is better as no credit checks, etc.

And the Clarity card, to avoit interest, pay off in full monthly I guess.
    You guess wrong. If you use it to withdraw cash, cover that with an online payment asap.
    Better still have one card for purchases and another for cash withdrawals.

Creation Everyday offers slightly better value than the Halifax Clarity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

2,981Users online

Martin's Twitter