What are your 'honest' thoughts on First Direct?

Options

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    If you want the switching bonus/regular saver then I would suggest setting up a donor account to transfer.

I also have the 5% regular saver. Max is £300 per month for 12 months. After this I will be closing or switching elsewhere
    You can open a new regular saver @ 5% once the first one has matured.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    My honest opinion is to use FD if you like using telephone banking.

If you like online banking then look elsewhere - even try Starling you will love it.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ah23 wrote: »
    Hi all

Those who are banking with (or have banked with) First Direct, what sets them apart from the other high street banks? Is it worth switching to them (from Halifax)? I am looking to make First Direct my new 'long term' account.

Thanks
    They started off as a telephone bank and they still stand out in this one aspect. I wouldn’t call them a high street bank though as they aren’t.

Their online banking feels strange and takes a bit of getting used to, but does most things ok. I only opened the FD account to qualify for the regular saver.
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

Those who are banking with (or have banked with) First Direct, what sets them apart from the other high street banks? Is it worth switching to them (from Halifax)? I am looking to make First Direct my new 'long term' account.

Thanks

If as you say they would be your main, long term account. That would suggest all your main monies, namely salary will pass through them. Also any other accounts that require nominated accounts will pass their monies to FD.
    In that case I would say an unqualified yes to FD. I have a Midland bank a/c (now HSBC) for 50 years and 20 years ago opened FD as well.
    FD for service are head and shoulders above HSBC.
    The strong point for me is that you are answered immediately, don't have to navigate through menus or furnish any info until you are actually speaking to a CS rep. This I find important if you have a problem and want a quick response.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I honestly do not understand the negativity towards First Direct's online services. It does everything which all my other banking apps do and just as easily - both mobile and desktop.

However, I am wondering whether OP is an employee doing some market research?
  • ah23
    ah23 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    If you want the switching bonus/regular saver then I would suggest setting up a donor account to transfer.

I also have the 5% regular saver. Max is £300 per month for 12 months. After this I will be closing or switching elsewhere

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea. One question... how do you set up a donor account? Is it really as easy as e.g. opening up a basic account with X bank, then switching to FD almost immediately?
    bobobski wrote: »
    I honestly do not understand the negativity towards First Direct's online services. It does everything which all my other banking apps do and just as easily - both mobile and desktop.

However, I am wondering whether OP is an employee doing some market research?

Lol, I'm just looking to consolidate my accounts.

Thanks everyone for your responses!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Their customer service is brilliant but their online banking is horrible
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Got to agree with the comments re how terrible (OK awkward) their online banking is, which was the main reason I switched from them to Halifax.

But each to their own.
  • ah23
    ah23 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Got to agree with the comments re how terrible (OK awkward) their online banking is, which was the main reason I switched from them to Halifax.

But each to their own.

Did you manage to get the elusive £100 exit fee from them?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2017 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Did you manage to get the elusive £100 exit fee from them?
    Why do you term it "elusive"? I got it (years ago), and many more have got it since. In fact I'd go as far as to say I've never seen a report of someone being denied it (that had complied with the T&Cs covering it).

EDIT: Just in case you're aiming for both the regular saver and the £100 leaving present, you'll find they're mutually exclusive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure