PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

So tired of denial of the state of the housing market

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 June 2018 at 10:45PM
    Options
    There's something good about an "MOD vibe"??? T

Yes, it comes in camouflage packaging and you can pass it off an anti-personnel grenade. ;)

More seriously, there's a MoD facility within a mile of the Royal Crescent in Bath and it's Lansdown hinterland. I haven't noticed prices there being depressed.
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the end of the day I think it's the price.

We put our house on the market and wanted a quick sale. So we put in on at the lowest price 5 different local agents said it needed to be for a quick sale. After 2 months, viewings but no offers. We then reduced the price by 10%. 5 viewings the next day, and one offer received that evening. All viewers said they hadn't been round before because it had been out of their price bracket prior to the reduction.

And if the houses you want to buy in the West Country have been on the market for a year, you are in a decent position to make an offer with a similar price reduction.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    done another narrower search

£300-£325 3b+ 1 mile 8/17
    just 2 beds £300-£350 2/5

I did lift the price to any but that include those 2 bed apartments selling at £650k.

the 325-350 3bed 1m captures 9 and none SSTC

if we do the 350-400 and upto 3beds 4/10 so peopel are paying more for a 3bed have a look at those 6 sstc as well to see where you fit relative to them.

2 of those are Ashes road at £360k a 3rd not sold(listed Jan) is at 365 and terrible pictures.

BY now you should be seeing the sale through prices of the stuff that was SSTC when you did your market research back at the beginning of the year.
    How do sell through look compared to asking?
    eg this sell though in MArch at £318k what was the asking price?
  • Reds-on-Sea
    Reds-on-Sea Posts: 428 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2018 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Probably something ridiculous knowing that particular Estate agent!

OH and I have decided to drop the price. We haven't got a prob doing that.

Would've been nice to have got there without all the house-bashing, but there you go lol.

My personal fav was "put all your junk shop furniture into storage and replace it all with IKEA"... :-)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I quite like the stripped back look for a study/work area,

this shows a bit of price history
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53768034.html
    2018 £350,000
    2015 £275,000
    2007 £200,000
    1995 £110,000
    wonder how much of the work was done before/after the 2015 sale

Looks like it was the Pu55y's Palace business.
    (not what you might think, it's a cattery)

I see No. 11 have a licensing application in for an event capacity 100?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Probably something ridiculous knowing that particular Estate agent!

OH and I have decided to drop the price. We haven!!!8217;t got a prob doing that.

Would!!!8217;ve been nice to have got there without all the house-bashing, but there you go lol.

My personal fav was !!!8220;put all your junk shop furniture into storage and replace it all with IKEA!!!8221;... :-)

Just saying its lovely doesn't help you at all though, you'll never get feedback this honest from an EA or a viewer!

I'm 100% sure if I put my house up here it'd get absolutely slated, I've got blue kitchen cupboards and loads of sub par DIY, but I live here, I love it and I don't want to sell it so it only matters to me. You do want to sell so it doesn't matter if its right for you and you love it, it matters what other people think of it!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2018 at 9:15AM
    Options
    This is the case to some extent with anything in life - ie that phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

By and large, I've seen some pretty objective feedback when people have put up photos of their house for sale and we are, after all, trying to sell our properties (if we are) to Jane & Joe Public and chances are they will either have pretty "standard modern tastes" (puts my hand up here - as that's what I personally want/have done my house like) or they will have "individual" type tastes.

If they have "individual" type tastes - then there will be very few people that will share those particular tastes (whatever they are).

I think what's confusing people to some extent is the different eras of different things in your house - eg high toilets, outdated doors, outdated kitchen on the one hand. On the other hand - a bit of a current fashion thing for the "workings" of a house on show (ie the electrics not channelled into the walls on a couple of things). I think what we're saying overall is it's a bit of a mish-mash. Most houses are one thing or another:
    - standard modern/pretty neutral
    - tired probate house
    - very "individual" taste and the style is consistent throughout the house
    - "quirky"
    - "Agh! What a Wreck!"

and yours isn't any of those categories imo.

I've noticed opinions can vary in other respects too. Someone I was talking to and myself were both discussing a house for sale here. She called it "well-maintained" and I was describing it as "Old-fashioned and obviously needs a lot of maintenance work even". We were describing the same house...
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OH and I have decided to drop the price. We haven!!!8217;t got a prob doing that.

May I strongly advise that in addition to changing the price you do something about the photos? Have them re-taken, and use far fewer of them.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, I'd want to use an agent that has a clue about what they are doing and, to me, the devil is in the detail. If they can't get that right, how can you have confidence that they'll get the big things like the valuation right?

At the risk of being accused of being biased, Tepilo are not really estate agents, it is a pay upfront DIY listing service.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    I'm certainly not going to move my furniture out to replace it with some chipboard tutt from IKEA lol.

In general I would agree with you, but your target type of buyer may well like chipboard tutt from PIKEA than mid-century stuff. To people of a certain age the latter can resemble grandma's shabby and bitty-looking furniture in 1970 to an unfortunate degree, whereas PIKEA tutt is the absolute last word in tasteful yet cutting-edge modernity. Somebody buys that flat-pack junk, in frankly staggering quantities, and the question is not why, but where does it all end up? Very likely in the homes of your buyers.

The kind of thing I had in mind was this:
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/wardrobes/free-standing-wardrobes/hemnes-wardrobe-with-2-sliding-doors-white-stain-art-50251270/
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/chest-of-drawers/hemnes-chest-of-2-drawers-white-stain-art-80242627/
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/chest-of-drawers/hemnes-chest-of-3-drawers-white-stain-art-70242637/

which, astoundingly for PIKEA, is actually made of....wood!! I nearly fell over, I can tell you! Equally astonishing is that several of the rugs aren't made from petrol, eg this one
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/rugs/t%C3%A5rb%C3%A4k-rug-flatwoven-handmade-multicolour-art-10404487/

I digress - the idea is simply to make it look a bit styled, a bit less someone else's home so as to encourage the viewing billy bunters to see it as their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure