PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Store cupboard - in case of emergency

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    But when (if) we do get a power cut, that knocks out the freezer, breadmaker, slow cooker, electric kettle, water thermostat, phone charger, electric shaver, not to mention TV and non-battery radios.

It is not a situation I want to contemplate, as our whole lives depend on electricity. Oh and we won't even be able to get online to ask for advice. Plus the shop tills and barcode scanners won't work so we won't be able to buy any essentials. :eek:

Anyone for Spain? ;) :cool: :beer:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right lets see

Wind up radio
    One of those emergency mobile phone chargers (can charge up in car though whilst listening to cd and warming up)
    Flask
    Thermals
    primus stove

Now I know what to ask oh for this xmas

need to think camping in outer hebrides and of course we can all burn the excess packaging in the garden with the neighours and get the gas bottle bbq out from the shed for a snow party with those citronella candles we have left over from the summer....................actually thats a good idea for the festive season.

Beth
    xx

Beth
    xxxx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    it does make you think...about the things we take for granted...... and the thought of being without electric or basic supplies is a:eek: thought.......

as we have got used to our creature comforts....

we have a coal fire, so if power goes down we can use the fire to heat things up on...

but if it snows.. like they have mentioned... its knowing... how much to have in reserve.... so maybe from now to the spring it might be worth not going too low of food items......just in case......

someone mentioned in an earlier post that they normally got about 2 weeks worth of food......which has made me think.....about how much i should have at any one given day in my kitchen
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Years of living in the pennines has taught me to bulk buy as our winters are so unpredictable, my family could quite easily live from our stocks for about three weeks. We still have an open fire in the lounge so could cook from there and if the electric was out of action due to snow I would empty the freezers and stick the contents in bags and bury outside in the snow.
    Rebel No 22
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :wave: :wave: Hello Cooltrickerchick - I didn't know you were in the Swansea area...that's great. I'm up between Pontypridd and Maerdy....
    Can't say i'm looking forward to the snow then (sigh) I got snowed in earlier in March:rolleyes:
    Will def. be looking at a few extra supplies and stuff just in case
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I live in Durham, but in one of the villages and we've always been plagued with power cuts, NEDL have switched off the power 3 times this year to try to solve the problem, but we've had 2 cuts since. When it comes to snow it's back roads in and out, drifts off the fields, and the council rarely grit it. Bus company reularly stop services now as it's all hills and the council haddn't done the gritting one year and a bus went into someones garden (luckily only just missed the house)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just think of the money we will save not using electric if it goes out...............but I lived through the 3 day weeks in the 70's and doing homework in the kitchen with gas oven on for heat and candles so learnt the value of having options i.e. gas to heat water and cook and gas fires too..........heating will not work as electric pump but I should be ok and some heat from fire goes up chimney which goes through master bedroom and heats that a little too.......

Beth
    xx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    Tried several addresses - all say 45% chance of snow!
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    Options
    According to net weather just looked it will be the coldest winter since 1991 but not until end of january, i doubt.
    But didn't they say all this last year. It's to wet and mild for snow.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    scuzz wrote:
    Candles are always good
    Torches - wind up and/or batteries

Pasta
    Tins of veg, soup, fish, meat
    long life milk
    We had an 8 hour power cut the other day and found this was what we could have on a gas ring

We also have a gas barbeque - so can have any barbeque food too!
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure