PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style things that 'only you' do...

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    A friend's mum at primary school washed sandwich bags :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with that?:D I do it all the time,the kitchen is permanently festooned with plastic bags drying out.
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    What's wrong with that?:D I do it all the time,the kitchen is permanently festooned with plastic bags drying out.

My favourite thing to do with the sandwich bags my mum gave me was to blow them up and burst them just behind someone's head. :D

She switched to foil shortly afterwards.
    :cry:
  • SusanCarter
    Options
    I do most of the things which have been listed. :eek:

I don't do vacuum cleaner bag, tumble dryer and face wipe things as I don't have them. Also don't do sandwich bag thing as I get enough packaging for sandwich bags anyway without trying. Also our cooker belongs to the landlord and is going rusty so no point in trying to make it wear evenly.

Now I'll have to try and think of something no one else would do...

...I use stones in the washing machine to save on washing liquid.
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Mum used to put all the odd bits of soap into a foam 'fish' for us kids to uses in the bath. lots of soapy foam!!
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Am I the only one who alternates use of the rings on the hob so they wear out evenly :embarassed:

Fantastic!!! I can't beat this, but am proud at the length of time I wore foundation eked out of a cut open tube last week.... kept it in a sealed ziploc bag to keep it fresh. Didn't think to wash and re-use the bag after though..
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smashing wrote:
    My favourite thing to do with the sandwich bags my mum gave me was to blow them up and burst them just behind someone's head. :D

She switched to foil shortly afterwards.
    :cry:
    ROTFLMAO:)

And I thought I was the only one who re-used drier lint - for lighting the fire!
    We didn't have sandwich bags, mum used greaseproof paper.

I am trying to think now if there's anything else I do which is more weird than the cooker ring thing... I told you lot that! My dark secret LOL;) Not even OH knows.

I have upside down at the moment tomato ketchup and shampoo. And the shampoo was free from boots:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    When an electrical item breaks,I take it to bits for the parts.
    My garden has fridge shelf tents to protect the plants from birds.
    We have some huge magnets from an old microwave and the glass turntable is a serving dish.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I keep all my empty cereal bags for freezing bread and put a peg on the toothpaste as we're nearing the end so I get every last squeeze out. I also cut open my moisuriser bottle [it's hardish plastic] with OH's craft knife [shhh] and there's always loads more in there. When we have a hair cut I put all the cut bits on the compost heap. And how about this for the tightest....even I had to admit that I had rather overdone the rag bag where I've been shoving all our worn out clothes for the last couple of years as my cupboard was completely full. However, I still sat there and went through them all carefully before putting the worst ones out for recycling and I'm afraid I cut out the best bits from all the old pants as they're soft cotton and just right for polishing cloths for OH's miniature furniture. I looked like a rag and bone man surrounded by all my piles of cloth at the end of it!! OH just roared when he saw it and extracted the Michael somewhat. Must remind myself to get a life sometime!!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm a bad bad woman.....I cut all 4 of my kids hair......am improving now rofl
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    flufff wrote:
    I'm a bad bad woman.....I cut all 4 of my kids hair......am improving now rofl

Surely the future therapy bills will cancel out any moneysaving benefits? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure