Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• Fi81
    Options
    yeah I think the 7th Jan is typo but it just speaks to the whole farce.

I'll call them tomorrow to get them to change my debit so it reflects my actual usage.

glad yours is to your liking
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    Did a webchat about what should have been my final bill, after explaining all the issues with the bill, there was no responce for 40mins!

When they came back 40min later they claim there system had crashed. Sounded like !!!!!!!! to me.

The person didn't really address any issues, but said I would be contacted about it soon. I asked what "soon" meant, and they said 4-6 weeks.

The latest bill didn't calculate VAT correctly, and they couldn't even add up the various subtotals correctly. This was not a minor rounding issue, but an error of more than £1 in their favour.

They really are the biggest bunch of muppets. I thought co-op, flow, ebico and robin hood were bad but this lot are so much worse.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the "system crash" in my chat about them taking direct debit payments after I had left too. Someone else suddenly took over and asked how they can help as if the chat is initially taken by a less knowledgeable colleague that isn't safe enough to discuss dodgy extra payments etc.
  • TransmitThis
    Options
    @bubieyehyeh

I'm finding it almost impossible to get an accurate account of the bill.

I can get precise numbers of KW used and time period.
    But the 7 different price increases . . . didn't happen on the days I did meter readings so my spreadsheet will contain some averages.

For you to get it down to +/- £1 is impressive.
  • Steve456
    Options
    Steve456 wrote: »
    I reversed the DD payment knowing full well that I would owe them money. However, I had told them via email that I would not owe them any more than £10 to £20 and that I would reverse the payment if they took the threatened £200. They did that, and so I reversed the DD. I would actually enjoy dealing with them if they now try to "fine" me for cancelling the DD. I very much doubt they will however.

In your situation, as they have not issued an invoice in a timely manner but have still taken a direct debit payment, I do not know why on earth you think they would be entitled to any sort of penalty payment. Plus, of course, once you have cancelled the direct debit, the only way they have of trying to recover any money they claim that you owe is to 1) issue an invoice and 2) if you don't pay it, take action against you. That would probably make front page headlines!

As you say, "not rocket science"!
    Anthorn wrote: »
    No it isn't rocket science: They are entitled to the penalty payment because it's in the Ts&Cs that customers agreed to. They also agreed to pay by direct debit and it is also in the Ts&Cs that the only payment method is direct debit. In the case of action to recover a debt due to non-payment well, there goes your credit history!

You still seem to think that OFTM are entitled to take money against a direct debit mandate to which they are not entitled! I would positively relish them trying court action to recover a penalty from me, as I stated previously.

So, please Anthorn, go and ROFL and this time don't stop rolling.
  • TransmitThis
    Options
    Reading what you wrote - they were entitled to take a DDebit, as you owed them money (£10+)
    Reversing that goes against the contract you signed, so technically they could levi a charge.

The fact they didn't properly work out how much you owed and reduce the DD to that specific amount is a totally separate issue, that just speaks to their lack of any proper procedures or professionalism.

They keep taking DD till you no longer owe any money then work out the final bill and issue a refund.
    No One is saying it's a great way of doing things, honestly in this day and age it's practically barbaric not to have a more streamlined system, but it is what it is.
  • Steve456
    Options
    Reading what you wrote - they were entitled to take a DDebit, as you owed them money (£10+)
    Reversing that goes against the contract you signed, so technically they could levi a charge.

The fact they didn't properly work out how much you owed and reduce the DD to that specific amount is a totally separate issue, that just speaks to their lack of any proper procedures or professionalism.

They keep taking DD till you no longer owe any money then work out the final bill and issue a refund.
    No One is saying it's a great way of doing things, honestly in this day and age it's practically barbaric not to have a more streamlined system, but it is what it is.

We will have to agree to disagree.

They may well be entitled to take money that is in accordance with the contract, but please explain how that could possibly include a payment in advance (which is what the agreement is for) including future energy supply AND "membership fee" when they already know that they are no longer your energy supplier.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Steve456 wrote: »
    You still seem to think that OFTM are entitled to take money against a direct debit mandate to which they are not entitled! I would positively relish them trying court action to recover a penalty from me, as I stated previously.

So, please Anthorn, go and ROFL and this time don't stop rolling.

I don't know why I have to keep saying this but here it is in a different way in the hope that it will be understood: If it's in the Ts&Cs which customers have agreed to then Outfox is fully entitled to it. It's a legal agreement.

To recap, the only payment method is Direct Debit and customers who don't pay by Direct Debit are liable for a fee of £25 and Outfox are fully entitled to it.
  • Steve456
    Options
    I don't know why I have to keep saying this but here it is in a different way in the hope that it will be understood: If it's in the Ts&Cs which customers have agreed to then Outfox is fully entitled to it. It's a legal agreement.

To recap, the only payment method is Direct Debit and customers who don't pay by Direct Debit are liable for a fee of £25 and Outfox are fully entitled to it.

A legal agreement which has ended (apart from any residual credit/debit balance). Where in the agreement does it say that OFTM can continue to take advance payments even when the contract has ended? I would love to see them try that one in court!
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You don't have to, and it's not true anyway.
    The T&C that we agreed to are not, for most customers, the ones currently available to view on their website. They were changed, and we were never informed. The 'your responsibility' bit in the last paragraph is BS. (if you found MSE had added a clause to their T&C saying that anyone using this site had to pay £25 a month for the privilege, along with an invoice for £50 to cover the period since it was introduced, would you pay?)

https://web.archive.org/web/20181008172806/https://www.outfoxthemarket.co.uk/Terms-and-conditions.aspx is an earlier copy but there is even disagreement whether those were in place at the time of joining.
    Notice the lack of clause 22.8 amonst others). How can we have agreed to something we were never told about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure