Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    By happy coincidence I've just received EDF's annual summary of my consumption. Since I haven't given them a meter reading for 3 months (now due) I assume this has been based on "industry" estimates (Xoserve ?).

However, knowing my EDF opening meter readings and also the last readings, 3 months ago, I was able to establish the industry estimate of my usage over the final 3 months of the contract.

Fortunately, my actual usage in that time is well within the 2.5x allowable margin. I'm hoping there will be no problems with my closing reads - but we'll see.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • SarahB57
    Options
    Having compared prices and realising I could save over £300 per year, I recently switched from British Gas to EDF. I provided EDF with details of my gas and electricity usage for last year (the total cost of which was £1290.71) and sat back while the switch was organised.
    Today I received an email from EDF informing me that my Direct Debit was going to be one twelfth of their estimate of what I would use in a year - £5988.00! What??? £499 per month???
    They very kindly offered to make a refund at the end of the year IF I HAD OVERPAID.
    Well EDF, I’m very sorry but I would prefer to be making some interest on that money myself, rather than you having the benefit of doing this!
    Although the gent from the online help adjusted the monthly DD to the amount I requested, I wonder how many people are being caught out by this? How much of your money will be in EDF’s coffers earning interest for them instead of you?
    I’d really like to hear whether this has happened to anyone else and how others have dealt with the problem.
    Thank you!
  • Consumerist
    edited 2 May 2018 at 12:04AM
    Options
    SarahB57 wrote: »
    . . . Today I received an email from EDF informing me that my Direct Debit was going to be one twelfth of their estimate of what I would use in a year - £5988.00! What??? £499 per month???
    . . .
    Although the gent from the online help adjusted the monthly DD to the amount I requested, I wonder how many people are being caught out by this? How much of your money will be in EDF!!!8217;s coffers earning interest for them instead of you? . . .
    It seems that there was something of a hiccup in their system but you say they have put it right when you raised a query. It seems to me that such a large discrepancy wouldn't go unnoticed by most.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Options
    My experiences with EDF were that the website was good and they made contact easy.

What was not so good were the frequent notices on the bill of Direct Debit increases
    1) At tariff change times, it was expected that the higher new prices would trigger a D/D increase, but the demands notified were out of all proportion - A local low income family who's account I monitor, had a demand that would pay off their entire annual bill in just 7 months.
    2) A recent bill showed a £160 debt, which triggered a £13 D/Debit increase demand
    However this bill covered 92 days, but due to it's dating only two D/D's had been collected, but just 6 days after the bill date a further £80 payment was collected, bringing the debt down to Appx £80, which bearing in mind it is the end of winter is to be expected, and a deficit that will quickly eradicated over the Summer months
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    D'oh - missed the best offer yesterday. Today the saving is about a third less.
  • mo1960
    mo1960 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only been with EDF since May this year (I used Uswitch) and they are putting my direct debit up by £34 to £103 a month, if I hadn't gone onto my online account this morning I wouldn't have known, as I have not received an email or letter regarding the increase.
    They reckon I've used extremely more electricity with them since May than I did with British Gas for the same period in 2016 and 2017.
    I've had a problem with them from the start, where they've been trying to convince me there's been Economy 7 at my property, because they say they require two meter readings, when in fact this is due to me having a tariff with British Gas, that gave free electricity on Saturday.
    One of their telephone operatives told me if I couldn't prove there has never been Economy 7 at my property, I would end up paying more for my electricity.
    I sent proof of the British Gas tariff, which showed the two meter readings (one of which didn't change) and thought everything would now run smoothly, but I was very much mistaken.
    It's now going to cost me £70 in exit fees to leave them after just three months.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    mo1960 wrote: »
    Only been with EDF since May this year (I used Uswitch) and they are putting my direct debit up by £34 to £103 a month, if I hadn't gone onto my online account this morning I wouldn't have known, as I have not received an email or letter regarding the increase.
    They reckon I've used extremely more electricity with them since May than I did with British Gas for the same period in 2016 and 2017.
    I've had a problem with them from the start, where they've been trying to convince me there's been Economy 7 at my property, because they say they require two meter readings, when in fact this is due to me having a tariff with British Gas, that gave free electricity on Saturday.
    One of their telephone operatives told me if I couldn't prove there has never been Economy 7 at my property, I would end up paying more for my electricity.
    I sent proof of the British Gas tariff, which showed the two meter readings (one of which didn't change) and thought everything would now run smoothly, but I was very much mistaken.
    It's now going to cost me £70 in exit fees to leave them after just three months.
    You should ask them to justify the increase and if you're not satisfied then start a formal complaint. Simply switching, if EDF don't object to a switch, may not solve the underlying metering problem - it may just resurface with a new supplier
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I was with EDF for 6 yrs. Never had any problem. I only switch to Octopus for a cheaper deal. The switch was trouble free and the readings I submitted were used to close and open my account. Received a letter from EDF advising me that the account is closed and any money due credited to my account. I will not hesitate to go back with them if the price is competitive.
  • mo1960
    Options
    You should ask them to justify the increase and if you're not satisfied then start a formal complaint. Simply switching, if EDF don't object to a switch, may not solve the underlying metering problem - it may just resurface with a new supplier

Thank you for the advice, you are correct and I hadn't thought of it like that, too stressed at the moment :)
  • mo1960
    Options
    Turns out, EDF did not use the opening electricity reading given by me, they used one supplied by British Gas, which was 644 kwh out.
    So they are going to sort this out with British Gas and amend my bill.
    I'm not looking forward to a battle with British Gas in the near future.
    The process with EDF will take 32 working days, so get that sorted and start again with British Gas :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback