PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Casperthefriendlyghost
    Options
    hi everyone

I'm happy to be joining the April challenge, my how the year's speeding by! My month runs from the 25th March until 23rd April.

"Mrsmc Please could you put me down for £40 this month. Tx"

I've already spent £ 25.22 buying eggs, milk, chicken and more flour for making bread and biscuits, so not really planning on spending anymore unless I have to. Have got a healthy storecupboard and freezers so menu planning and using up stuff.

Cheers
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • Miss_Liquorice
    Options
    Reporting another NSD for me. After my big shop in Asda earlier in the week, I'm a bit disappointed as now I'm ill and have lost my appetite! And no room in the freezer for anything fresh - grr. On the plus side, today I've eaten two bananas, an apple, a carrot and loads of clementine juice - nice and healthy!
  • theskintfamily
    Options
    spent £12.65 yesterday, Easter eggs were included in that and enough deodrant to last me 6 months as it was on offer in Mr T's. I also got put on notice of redundancy yesterday, so I've got 3 months to sort myself out or my grocery challenge target will be a big fat £0!!!
    Jan GC £0/£200
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As you can see from my updated sig, it is fairly unlikely I will make this month on target :o My appetite really does continue to grow by the week and I am consuming salad and celery like there is no tomorrow - I even ended up having a bowl of crunchy leaves, shredded white cabbage and celery for supper last night :rolleyes: . I might actually try re-working the week-after-next's plan so that it uses up the small accumulation of stuff we have in the cupboards and freezer to keep the cost down a bit - as long as I have me salad to munch all day long I am happy :D

Our spend at Asda last night did however include £5 worth of dishwasher tablets which were needed, ingredients for my Simnel Cake for Easter Saturday tea, £1.11 worth of reduced bread which - kept in the freezer - should do us a couple of weeks hopefully, and the 3 bottles of wine for £10 deal which should last quite well as it is only DH drinking it at the mo :D So I don't feel too bad knowing it was on stuff that will be used anyway - trying to talk myself into that there ;)

ETA: Just came to mind on the mention of Easter pressies that our local £ shop had some great little token gifts - got DD sheets of springtime-like bubble stickers and a card making set complete with glitter glue/pens, card and safety scissors etc - she is only 2 but loves all that sort of palaver :) I also picked up a big multipack (x18 I think) of Easter jellies - about 4 in each little packet making up a whole bunny or duck. I'll be wrapping a couple up each, to hand out to extended family and friends' kids. Just thought the knowledge could come in handy ;)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Casperthefriendlyghost
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Today will be a NSD, I'm off to the gym and straight home. I'm leaving my purse at home so there is no temptation to spend money. The gym is a 20 minute walk from here, so will get plenty of exercise today lol.

Will be making my meals from the storecupboard and freezer.

Am still waiting for the sunshine they promised us for today x

Cheers
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Hubby will be home later this evening -hopefully laden down with UK bread flour, cheese n coffee :p ...
    I have had a great week of using up odds n sods -I do this anyway for the 2 of us -but this week has used up those itty bitty bits that keep getting missed ;) -so this week I have used
    • 1 roast chicken breast, the last portion of my own broad beans from last year, a small tub of HM cheese sauce(all from freezer) and 1'2 tin sweetcorn from fridge and made a great pasta bake that did me 2 days :D
    • Special fried rice using the last of the chorizo, a few prawns and odds n sods of veggies from the fridge
    • today Im using the last of the potatoes that are going a bit rubbery -so Im making potato salad nomnomnom
    So now I am 9 days into my month and only had 1 day where I have spent anything :j
    I have drawn up a list for tomorrow and it comes to a grand total of :-
    • 4 x 1lt milk =€2.20
    • cucumber -50c
    • 2kg onions -50c
    • 2.5kg potatoes 99c
    • 2kg oranges €1.50
    • 2kg apples €1.50
    • 1 tin tuna 85c
    so approx €8ish to spend this week :rotfl: ..I have plenty of lettuce, tomatoes and peppers in the fridge and enough white cabbage n carrots to make lots of coleslaw mmmmmm
    I can't wait until my veggies get going -we should be living on very little then :j-hence the using up as much as I can from the freezer -hopefully Im going to have loads to freeze:p
    Right enough waffling -again..have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    I need to buy bread & milk today. I also need some fruit. Tomorrow I will go to the butcher for meat. I will be baking this afternoon to stock up for the school holidays.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could I be put down for £200 this month please?

Totally over spent last month and the cupbards are bare!
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just on to update my sig.Spent quite a bit but the stores /freezer are bulging so should be able to cut back for the rest of the month.I'm off for the weekend like the forums so see you all next week.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good afternoon....its lovely here today...hope it lasts until easter...i have just had a cheap lunch mega small bit of cheese grated on toast....grated makes it look bigger (well a bit)...Mrs M mentioning coleslaw u reminded me i have a chunk of white cabbage lurking in my fridge...im going to make it in to coleslaw...i always leave out the onion...i hate raw onion but love it cooked:confused:

i am making stewed braising steak for tea...neede using up but not really matched to the weather....i got a bargain in the coop this morning...its fresh pasta ravoil and in a seperate bag tortellini ...with exotic sounding fillings...reduced to 30p a bag so i got 4 i thought it would make a nice lunch tomorrow (well some of it)...im not sure if the kids will go for it:rolleyes: but hey it was very cheap...should have been 2 for £3...i also got my mum a pork pie made by dickenson and someone who make the real deal in melton mobray reduced to 50p

i was thinking of buying a cadburys easter cake the big round one with eggs on top...then i saw they were £3 so im going to make my own...goodness im getting mean....no sorry careful

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills