PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

Another work from home day today. I'm feeling much better but still sound awful. Piles of marking to get on with several lectures to write this week and then maybe a bit of research if I'm oh so lucky.

Karcher, keep going. You will get there. We've spend years with hot water bottles and jumpers, no car (for years we walked to Aldi with rucksacks every Sunday, rain, snow, hail, sleet, you name it and carried it all home). We lived in terrible houses to save on rent. I'm talking walls that literally dripped and ceilings that crashed down in the middle of the night. No one should have to do those things. I was often too harsh on us. I thought the fact others were able to buy houses and cars sooner on the same money meant we must be getting it wrong, I'm just admitting now that I was wrong about that. We weren't doing it wrong---just differently. If children were in the cards for us we'd probably be regretting not taking on a bit more debt now to start a family, but they aren't and we worked with the situation as we saw it, just as everyone does. Getting into debt isn't a character blemish, whether it was of your making or not. Sometimes it is the best way to manage. Striving to overcome overwhelming debt, particularly when it isn't of your making, is a testament to your character. Be kind to yourself, please. Once you get out of the habit of being kind to yourself it is very very hard to rebuild it.

Butha, the same goes for you about being kind to yourself, and that doesn't just mean going for a run and taking a bath. It means letting yourself off the hook sometimes and being ok with just good enough. Your children need to see that too, so don't feel you're letting them down if sometimes you have to let some things slide.

*Soapbox creaks awkwardly* Right, I'd better get on with my work and stop pestering you all.x
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OH and I once got a B for DS's art homework. We were really proud of that :rotfl: it was compulsory until year 9, which was ridiculous for a boy with no interest and less talent so we helped him out to free him up to do the more important stuff that he struggled with. Like maths...

We didn't do it all, but chose pictures, printed them and cut them out. He stuck them in his book and had to write five sentences about how he felt about them. ( with strict instructions not to just write 'boring') :rotfl:

Must get up, the builder is coming in to begin putting the study back together after the drains flooded back in September ....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lashing it down here this morning - my get up and go has got up and went! Small list of jobs to do, nothing taxing unless you count cleaning the bathroom ( who's great idea was it to have black floor tiles that show every splash and hair)
    Karcher and Burtha - I am in complete admiration of you both for your strength and fortitude in awful circumstances not of your own making - life really can be a b*tch at times. Please continue to post even though we can only offer virtual support you know it is heartfelt from us all Hugs x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quick note today. My brother rang to tell me that dad died this morning. His favourite nurse had got him washed and dressed, chatted with him and put him in the chair, when he came back 10 mins later dad was dead. It is the end of an era but he had a great life and knew he was loved to the end.
    As agreed we are remaining on hols and also as planned we shall have a memorial service in Spring (that is not because we are away! Lots of friends and family are distant and elderly so we all want time for them to arrange travel and we all want a service in nicer weather, not freezing rain). Cremation will take place shortly, the rest can wait.

So, on the basis that it is sunny on the beach, we are off to swim and sunbathe and talk about the mad things my dad did that made us laugh.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry for your loss MMF007 will keep you in my prayers. So glad he never got to the nursing home that would have been so difficult for your mum.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MMF007 So sorry to read your sad news x You made your Dad part of our lives too, thank you for that, he sounded like a right giggle - thinking of you and yours xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh MMF, huge (((HUGS))) to you all. It sounds as if he went quickly and peacefully, which is great, and I know you had the chance to speak to him recently. Enjoy the rest of your holiday as he would have wished, in the knowledge that you don't need to worry about him any more. A memorial service in the spring sounds a lovely idea. xxxx
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hugs MMF - and yes enjoy thinking about the good times!
    Must use my stash up!
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just dropping in to give some hugs to MMF007, thinking of you xx
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

• FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMF007 Sorry to hear the news, but glad you can remember the good times.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport