We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing an neglected garden

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This larch gate appeared whilst I was away! :j

Gate_1.jpg Gate_2.jpg

The hinges are very old, even older than I am. There's a latch being fashioned out of ash somewhere near here, meanwhile the old bit of rope will do.

Now just the bigger table and benches to go. Raised beds can wait until next year so no real hurry.

I'm having a 'not-so-grand opening' in two weeks time - anyone passing??

:beer:
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 July 2018 at 4:01PM
    Options
    Don't run out of ice for your grand opening, that looks like a very blue sky!
    meanwhile the old bit of rope will do.
    Hmm, I don't see any need to be _too_ posh. :-)

Reminds me of an article a few years ago about the rubbish being left in the Himalayas by climbers, including hanks of climbing rope. I don't know about those mountains but, if it's anything like semi-rural Hampshire, decent left over rope would disappear in a flash!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't run out of ice for your grand opening, that looks like a very blue sky!

Hmm, I don't see any need to be _too_ posh. :-)

Reminds me of an article a few years ago about the rubbish being left in the Himalayas by climbers, including hanks of climbing rope. I don't know about those mountains but, if it's anything like semi-rural Hampshire, decent left over rope would disappear in a flash!
    Bit OT, but didn't Clarkson & co sell a couple of feet old rope on fleabay, proving money for old rope? Or is the heat getting to me?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Gers
    Options
    Came home after spending a few days in Glasgow to find these two items drying after a final oiling:

Table_bench.jpg

Love the split table top! Now just need one more bench to make the garden almost complete.

The two raised beds will now wait until later. I'm so chuffed with it all.
  • Gers
    Options
    With only small touches and tweaks needed -

Before - June 2017

Cows_30_June.jpg

After - July 2018

garden.jpg

Apart from the transformation of the space what strikes me is the condition of the grass. Last year we had almost permanent rain and this year none for about a month.

Anyway, the space is now being used and provides a lovely place to contemplate ones navel!
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gers, just caught up on this year’s posts on your garden and feeling exhausted by all the work you’ve [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] had done! It’s looking really good and I hope you are managing to spend some time out there with your gin bottle.

The netting over the gate really needs something growing over it, though... I’ve just bought a golden hop plant, having seen how well it is doing in wet soil near here - might work for you too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure