I think I'm being conned by Allay (PPI)

Options

Comments

• Saffy123
    Options
    Hi, many thanks. I'm pretty sure this one is correct. When I did one about 6 months ago, I couldn't find the boxes to put the various amounts so they wrote to me asking for copies of the documents. It wasn't a problem I just sent them and eventually got the refund. Lesson learned. I phoned them this afternoon as I still couldn't find the relevant boxes to put the figures, but after speaking to them, eventually found the correct ones - I hope ! If it's incorrect no doubt they will let me know again !

Saffy
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    If it's incorrect no doubt they will let me know again !

I very much doubt that. It's far more likely that you either get the wrong (or no) refund or be asked to pay a tax bill.

The have been plenty of posters on here who seem to have declared the PPI refund to HMRC when this isn't taxable income. And as a result HMRC will treat it as taxable and send you a bill.

The R40 is like a simple tax return. The statutory interest (and tax deducted) paid alongside the PPI refund is what you need to declare. Along with any other taxable income received in the same tax year.
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Hi, as said I have claimed PPI tax back before a few months ago successfully. I actually omitted to put the necessary info in the relevant boxes and as said, they wrote to me requesting copies of the documents which I sent them and thus received the necessary refunds. These covered 3/4 years the maximum you could go back.

So yes as said I feel that I have completed this R40 correctly and hope to receive another refund or correspondence hopefully sooner rather than later.

Saffy
  • Saffy123
    Options
    Hi just an update.....I must have completed the R40 form correctly this time - I filled it in online on 30th December 2019 - this morning my cheque by way of refund arrived !

Saffy
  • katnkrisis
    Options
    I havd finally received a response from Allay. After many emails with letters from Lloyds to confirm they had nothing to do with the claim.

Good Afternoon,

I'm sorry you felt the need to complain and our delay in responding to your complaint.

I have reviewed your case and supporting documents.

I can confirm our Head Office have made an error with processing and invoicing your case.

Please note I have closed your case and removed your invoice.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I am glad it is now sorted but also aggrieved that it has taken this long and the cheek they had in the first place.

Good luck to anyone else in the same situation, my advice is keep complaining to them along with any proof 😁
  • Saffy123
    Saffy123 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's absolutely brilliant, so pleased you have sorted it out, it's awful you had to go through this and sadly goes to show that you can't trust anyone these days...

Saffy
  • renegadefm
    renegadefm Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Forgive me if I have missed something or missread something, but Allay only chase you for their percentage if the claims money went to you, which in this case it did. So it sounds legitimate to me and no surprise.

I had a fairly long phone conversation with my insolvancy officer yesterday morning about my own situation with Allay. They basically explained to me stop worrying because in my case any claims on ppi sold to me before I was declared bankrupt which was incidentally April 2008 that it would now automatically go to the OR and Allay get their percentage from that, and that's straight from the insolvency officers mouth.
    But had the shoe been on the other foot and I recieved a cheque or money of any kind from a successful claim had I not been bankrupt then Allay would pursue a charge for their percentage fees.
    So if one slips the net and I do recieve a cheque for example, I have to notify the insolvancy service straight away, and send it to them, and definetly dont cash it in or anything as I'd be done for fraud.

So the bottom line in my case is I'm not going to get any money from claims Allay might be pursuing on my behalf because its ppi that was sold to me before I was bankrupt, so I will never get a fee or bill sent to me from Allay or the OR.
    That said I have a Littlewoods account and Studio which are both online shops that I have credit with since my bankruptcy which was set up a few years ago, so I'm not sure if theres PPI on either of those, but the deadline for claiming on them has passed anyway so its irrelevant. But I was just using that as an example.

So even though it sounds like you been conned. Its probably on Allays small print somewhere that due to you expressing in interest like myself in claiming ppi they somehow get the ball rolling and like my case I dont quite know how they did it. But in your case you did actually recieve the money, and are liable to pay Allays percentage which is actually 24% not 10% like I quoted before. I have since found that out today, so apologies for quoting 10, its actually 24% Allay recieve from each successful claim. But only if the money goes to you. Can I ask did you settle with Allay in the end? I'm assuming you still did alright out of it as you recieved the cheque.
  • leesaurus
    Options
    Same situation here, received a 3k invoice from Allay today and i havent even had settlement details from HSBC yet! I too had a pile of paperwork to sign after a free online check, but it all went in the bin because i am lazy. Im awaiting a copy of the letter of authority from both Allay and HSBC, which i suspect will contain a reused E-signature. I thought I was quite internet savvy so ill be very angry with myself if they tricked me here - but ill be more angry with HSBC for proceeding on the strength of an E-sig without consulting me. Im also angry with the FSA for allowing companies like Allay to operate this way, probably making a lot of money using methods which are undoubtbly somewhere between total deviance and fraud. However, lessons can be learned - stay away from Allay and other claims companies, do your own claims (dont be lazy like me!).
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In HSBC’s defence, the sheer number of LOA’s they receive makes it impossible to verify authenticity and they have to be trusted as being genuine.

if you think employing a CMC because you were lazy was worthwhile, you’ll have done more actually work going through them than doing it yourself. The truly lazy option is doing it yourself.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • r5401
    Options
    How can I stop Allay Claims from sending me daily texts saying I owe them money and daily calls? I have never signed upto them and is becoming frustrating. I have contacted them requesting details under GDPR and they have not responded
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback