PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was going to get the odds and ends I needed for this week tomorrow, but having seen the weather forecast I decided to get them today, so spent a grand total of £5.94 and nothing to buy now until next Monday or Tuesday hopefully.I am really going for it this month to see how little I can get away with spending by using up the stuff indoors as much as I can. lots of baking today and tomorrow I think
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Options
    Reporting in ;)

I have just totalled up my spends so far, in total they are: £218.98 out of a pledged £275.00, which leaves: £56.02 remaining. :o

This is for an online Ocado shop, an organic meat order, Asda and Home Bargains. Lunch from Morning Fresh and then Kfc last night.

I guess Budgie will have to be rigid now for the rest of the month. I hadn't realised just how much I have spent until totalling everything up today.

On the plus side I am stocked up and now need to meal plan, its a full time job this is you know. :)

So hope everyone else is doing ok too.

Hopefully it is a frugal Budgie for the rest of the month.

Take Care
    Budgie x
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Options
    First spend of the month! £5.15 for two blocks of red leicester (£3 per kilo at the tesco cheese counter, wow! Must buy some more to freeze!), biscuits, kidney beans, tomato sauce, bananas, sugar, scones, bread, jam and two reduced non-lettuce sandwiches to go in the freezer for packed lunches! Very pleased with that shop indeed! :D

And last night we had a leftovers meal (leftovers used to be thrown away!:o) of veggie spaghetti bolognaise mixed with the last bit of cream cheese and some kidney beans, extra peas and sweetcorn mixed in, all baked in the oven in some reduced wraps with a sprinkle of cheese on top :rotfl:OH was a little horrified at the thought of spaghetti in a wrap but it was actually gorgeous! Anything baked with a cheesey wrap is great in my books though..
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all :wave: I am going to try to get to this after being ill for quite a while.

I was going to go for £350 this month but my store cupboard is a bit replete as DH has being doing a lot of the cooking so I am going for £400 to beon the safe side and anything under is a bonus.

I have just done an online shop through MySupermarket and Sainsbugs has come up cheaper for us this time at £120, I also had a free delivery code so I am getting a Saturday delivery, how decadent :D.

I have to do online shops as I don't drive and all the supermarkets are out of town and Aldi and Lidl are the next town. Our butcher in town is so expensive and so is our independant F&V shop so I am not saving there.

Though I have been talking to a friend and we are both in the same boat trying to get our food budget down and she has suggested maybe she drives us to other town on payday so we can both go to Aldi, Lidl and Asda to do a top up on what we couldn't get in the other 2. We will see how that goes.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £450.
  • mrs_mum_3
    Options
    Spent £2.09 today on natural yoghurt and lemon curd (eating it now)
    Lovely

Sig updated

mrs M
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cattysmum wrote: »
    Mr Ts today and found some 4p slippers for OH, some Lounge pants for 4p and 1p toystory bag. Got scampi B1G2F 3.99 Tesco finest sausages 3 packs for £6 so 6 meals for the month for £10ish. B1G2F crisps, milk, couple of deserts, broccoli with a free cauliflower, whoopsie mushrooms for chicken (leftover), pie tomorrow, popped into wilkies and picked up bits for halloween next year at 75% off, Marks and spencer for this weeks special offer two xmas puds 1/2 price £3 each one for me one for Sis. So not a bad day but cant spend much more this week so am going to try to live out of the fridge and freezer now till next week UNLESS any unresistable bargains pop up !!!

Wow,thats what I would call a really good frugal oogle day,well done
    Slimming World at target
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And can I change my amounts posted earlier, don't know where my brain is, my only excuse is this is my first week out of bed.

I am aiming for £450 with the aim to eventually get it down to £400.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • mrs_mum_3
    mrs_mum_3 Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2011 at 1:57AM
    Options
    ... So now I have a whole sausage casserole to try and do something with. Will it keep in the fridge for tomorrow as the sausages I used were frozen and defrosted? Yes you can freeze food once you have changed it's status from un cooked to cooked. Just make sure you defrost it and cook it thoroughly before eating, something like sausage casserole you should be able to bring up to the boil to give it a thorough heating (add a bit of extra liquid if necessary

Yes, you can freeze cooked yourkshires. I usually make a batch of 24 and then freeze half of them when cooked - Once they've cooled down I just put them loosely in a box e.g. an old tea bag box and shove them in the freezer . You can get out as many or few as you need, just defrost them and put them in the microwave for a few seconds until they're hot (not too many seconds)

!

This brings me onto a lovely quick party nibble

Get a 12 pattie yorkshire pudding tin, add a cooked cocktail sausage (for this I use fresh cooked sausages not the frozen ones), pour batter over and cook as usual. Once cooled down freeze as above. When you have a party you already have mini toads in hole finger food to feed guests.
    This time reheat in the oven so there is no risk of overcooking and having them collapse.
    These always go down well.

I also serve them on christmas day with turkey, it's my way of getting Yorkshire puds into the meal;)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrs mum, I've added your mini toads in hole idea to the recipe index :beer:

If I hadn't already prepared and frozen the pigs in blankets I would have tried this for my christmas dinner, might be tempted anyway :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family