A Frugal Life for Me!

Options

Comments

• Moneywhizz
    Moneywhizz Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your budget looks well planned and realistic enough. Would it help if you took the actual cash out and put it in envelopes. When its gone its gone? This really helps lots of people to stick to their budget but I know some people don't like to deal with cash. You could take it out in weekly amounts then its not so long to wait if it's all spent on the first day of the budget! It might be helpful to shop your husband and son the actual cash that you have to last for the week, and may stop them asking for other treats.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok ive read most of the tread from the beginning and just like to also point out i am a male

But im going to come in with my size 9's, your husband could do lots of jobs but to be frank he dosent want to, and you know this, all the non are "suitable" is just an excuse not to work

he could get a job tommarow if he wanted to, delivery pizza, washing cars at the local car wash just like i have done in the past when my hours at work were cut, i do agree it can be hard to get specific jobs but the above jobs are straight forward and dont require any qualifications just good all common sense

you/he dont understand how close you are if you was to lose your job or god forbid had any health issues than prevented you from working for quite some time

i have a mate of mine who's wife didnt not work for 15 years and was more than happy being carried along the way, and when he did his back in and could not work, self employed builder he came very very close to losing everything and if it was not for his brother who had to remortgage his house to pay the arrears my mate would be in a whole heap of trouble, but does his mrs work now, nope still making excuses

Im not saying this to be harsh but only because i care, its very unfair imho for one person in the relationship to take on all the responsibility be it the wife or the husband

its unfair for the wife to work all hours god sends while the husband sits on his backside watching people on tv oh by the way them people of tv are actually at work providing for their families

thats one the reasons tv is a complete waste of time, the cast from eastenders are not going to pay my bills

im sorry if i have come across harsh that was not my intention but it was to be realistic
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Littletinks
    Options
    Hey NP, happy new year to you!

Like you've my debts has gone up and down over the years. Always manageable in terms of never having a failed DD, but it's been tight at times! I tend to get mine down and then it creeps back up again with impulse buys here and there. So I've started a diary on here as a pledge to myself to get it down and cleared once and for all.

I wonder if it might help you, if you break your targets down to perhaps quarterly targets. That way you can have mini celebrations/ self congratulations when you've reached your quarterly targets. I think sometimes we start off well but knowing there's years ahead of us until we are debt free seems to far away and too long to stay focussed. Or perhaps look at clearing one card/debt at a time whilst maintaining the minimum payments on others - this is my preferred option. I also think if you can and sounds like you can and do, we need the little treats along the way. Working hard all month and paying large amounts of debt and having nothing to look forward too can, in my opinion make it even harder. Perhaps a 241 lunch with a friend or cinema tickets. Family Day to museum (free) except travel or a free day out to a nice park with a packed lunch if things are really tight.

Best of luck to you NP keep up all your good work x
    52 Week Savings Challenge #26 11/52

Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2023 #2 £305.60/£300
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    Rat Race, thank for for your comments. As I said in a previous post I am going to concentrate on living within our budget for now. I am trying to change my mindset and sticking to the budgets each month will make a great difference.
    New starting debt 30/12/2018 £30,164.76:eek:
    Revised debt £29,361.70 2.66% paid
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    Hey NP, happy new year to you!

Like you've my debts has gone up and down over the years. Always manageable in terms of never having a failed DD, but it's been tight at times! I tend to get mine down and then it creeps back up again with impulse buys here and there. So I've started a diary on here as a pledge to myself to get it down and cleared once and for all.

I wonder if it might help you, if you break your targets down to perhaps quarterly targets. That way you can have mini celebrations/ self congratulations when you've reached your quarterly targets. I think sometimes we start off well but knowing there's years ahead of us until we are debt free seems to far away and too long to stay focussed. Or perhaps look at clearing one card/debt at a time whilst maintaining the minimum payments on others - this is my preferred option. I also think if you can and sounds like you can and do, we need the little treats along the way. Working hard all month and paying large amounts of debt and having nothing to look forward too can, in my opinion make it even harder. Perhaps a 241 lunch with a friend or cinema tickets. Family Day to museum (free) except travel or a free day out to a nice park with a packed lunch if things are really tight.

Best of luck to you NP keep up all your good work x

Hi Littletinks, thanks for dropping by!! And happy new year to you too!! :)I am currently paying minimum on 2 cc's and over paying on one. I usually end up having to do BTs so the card I pay extra to can change depending on when the deals are ending. I do love your suggestion to have quarterly targets. It does feel like a slog sometimes and I think that is definitely one of the reasons that I give up and spend when I shouldn't.

I am going to try and budget in a day or two out each pay period (within the budget of course ;)) to try and keep the motivation going in the long term.

Will check out your diary :)

NP x
  • nowpanicking
    nowpanicking Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2019 at 8:26PM
    Options
    So... Already typed an update and I lost it. Slightly annoying!!!

Was at a course today so lunch was provided. Course was really good but tiring.

I didn't get a chance to do my list this morning but this is how the day went :

- lunch provided
    - took own flask of tea to course in the morning rather than buying coffee along with everyone else. Go me!! :T
    - bought bread, rolls and custard powder. Bread and rolls planned but custard powder not as I had thought we already had some when I did my weekly shop. Note to self... Check the cupboards!!!!!
    - meal per meal planner for me and OH
    - mcd for DS unplanned as he had a not so great day at school today
    - no gym today but healthy snacks all day

Although the mcd was unplanned for was paid for out of budget available.

Funds in purse = £3.12 as £6.33 spent on mcd
    Groceries pot = £13.56 as £3.17 spent on bread etc
    Petrol pot = £0.42

Days until payday = 2

Definitely planning on an NSD tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening everyone :)

NP x
  • Littletinks
    Options
    Hey NP,

I was thinking about your diary this morning and I wondered if you had done/considered the following:
    Move all cc to 0% or lower %. I switch mine over to each other, and play the 0% game. Sometimes there’s a small fee but the fee is less than the interest wld have been and means the debt doesn’t increase. (I’m sure you’ve done this already looking at the above)

The seagull aisle - I’m a great lover of the yellow sticker. I’m also a lover of M&S food. M&S final reductions are marked down to 90% of the original price at the end of the day. I like to go on a Sunday if I’m free as the shop shuts early so makes for a nice walk and I normally get a nice reward. Plus when I do get something really good I feel fantastic! (Sad I know)This week I got:

Lasagne big one for 2 £1.35 ( put in freezer)
    Nectarines 4 for £1.15 (only half price)
    Bag of new potatoes 20p
    Pasta salad pots x 2 at 24p each ( we had them for lunch on Monday)
    Bag mixed fresh veg 20p

Whilst we cld afford to eat in M&S and I do like their food, it’s not a great place to shop when trying to watch your budget (which I’m really trying to do - AGAIN!) - I’m a lover of Aldi’s for that, and save a regular small fortune when compared to other big supermarkets so tend to shop here quite frequently and order a online shop at Tesco’s everyone now and then. But all supermarkets mark down at the end of the day so maybe that’s an option, you can then stick stuff in your freezer. I also like the element of surprise and takes some of the ‘what shall we have for dinner next week’ out of the equation. If there’s not much there then I’ve still had a nice walk, so win win and I probably do this at least once a month.

I also thought of another free treat for you. If live/work near a large department store and wear make-up you can book a make-over at one of their make-up counters. So Mac, Chanel Clinique etc. Of course they are hoping that you will be a convert to their products. I’ve done this before on my birthday when I knew I was going out and wanted a ‘new professional look’. I said that I wanted to see how the products lasted when worn and would be back to buy any that I really liked. As it happens I did, and purchased Cliniques eyeliner and lipstick as I liked them both, but have since switched again to another brand Maybelline ( boots often do 342 and I get to collect points, which I can use to buy things with. I also check eBay for these). But I thought this might be a nice treat at the end of the month for you and or for a special occasion or because you’ve hit a mini target and it’s all for you and FREE.

You’ve said you have a DS, I wonder if you could sell any clothes he no longer fits into on eBay? Even if you only get a few pounds it goes towards renewing stuff.

DH cigarettes - I wonder if any of your family or friends are travelling abroad this year and could bring some back for him as a ‘gift’. Strictly speaking I think you can only bring back for personal use but hey hoy lol. But if their non- smokers then it may help you from time to time and you cld pay them back. I bought some back from USA for someone at the end of last year they cost $25 (£20) for 200! Or depending where you live a day trip to France by ferry, may be in the summer then you could use both your DH and your own personal allowances. Friends last summer took their car and 4 people for a total of £10 to stock on booze cigs etc.

I was also wondering if perhaps out of the money you have left come payday you might treat yourself to something. A new lipstick, nail polish, or a couple of multi pack bars of chocolate to stick in draw at work. Something that’s just for you that’s says I’ve done really well this month stayed within budget. I have money left over and this treat is a reward just for me, for keeping a VERY close eye on things for the past month. After all your son (who I hope has a better day tomoz) had a treat today, which no doubt made him feel better. And maybe you wld feel better if you cld do this every month too. This way if you have money left you get a ‘free reward’ every month, which has effectively cost you nothing as you’ve managed to save a bit extra from money already allocated. Id sooner a £3 nail polish than pay an extra £3 off my debt which won’t clear for many years to come. Of course that’s my personal choice, but I think not having treats and living to bone month after month is to hard to maintain for most people. This can result in much bigger impulse buy than £3. then bang goes all the hard work!

Well that’s it from me for now, keep up your good work and well done on taking your flask of tea today. I've subscribed so will pop by and see how your doing. X

• nowpanicking
    Options
    Hi Littletinks! Thanks for all the suggestions :D

I have done the whole 0% shuffle for a while now so pretty much the whole debt is on 0%. I've also now set up a spreadsheet with planned payments plus a sheet showing the end dates of the deals so that I can keep track.

I have never really ever done the whe yellow sticker thing so this is something I could look to start. Especially for M&S!

I don't really wear a lot of makeup but I do like the idea of maybe getting makeup done as a treat, which could be done for a night out.

I have family going abroad in May so could ask them about tobacco as you're right, that is an obvious saving that could be made.

I do like the idea of giving myself a wee treat at the end of the pay period if I have any funds left. It might help me to stay motivated :)

NP x
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    I'm at work so a very quick update for today's plan:

- gym
    - meals per meal planner. I have hm soup with me for lunch.
    - no unhealthy snacks
    - NSD
    - nails getting done using voucher
    - have a think about a quarterly target per Littletinks suggestion :)
    - check bank

Pay day tomorrow :j

That's it for now.

NP x
  • Littletinks
    Options
    Your spreadsheets sound fab, gotta love a list/spreadsheet.
    I do think treats along the way help. Enjoy your nails getting done later.

X

Ps do you read through Martin Lewis's email today, lots of great tips on there and some good deals to be had.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family