A Frugal Life for Me!

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on getting to payday with money still in bank account and presumably nothing on credit this month.

How much are you saving towards the holiday each month?

I am sorry but I still think you are being way too generous with your OH. Spending money for booze, cigarette money and he gets takeaways and holidays without having to work and you have almost £30k of unsecured debt. I know you said you are just going to work on keeping within budgets and let things carry on re your DH not getting any work but I think you have a ticking timebomb there the older you get. He is not building up any pension not only occupational but no NI payments towards state pension either.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • nowpanicking
    nowpanicking Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2019 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Well done on getting to payday with money still in bank account and presumably nothing on credit this month.

How much are you saving towards the holiday each month?

I am sorry but I still think you are being way too generous with your OH. Spending money for booze, cigarette money and he gets takeaways and holidays without having to work and you have almost £30k of unsecured debt. I know you said you are just going to work on keeping within budgets and let things carry on re your DH not getting any work but I think you have a ticking timebomb there the older you get. He is not building up any pension not only occupational but no NI payments towards state pension either.

Hi enthusiasticsaver, thanks for popping by :)

Yes, nothing on credit since I've started the diary which is a definite improvement. I'm saving £80 per pay for the holidays and will be topping the account up on the pay I don't have mortgage etc to pay (as I get paid 4 weekly). I'm also putting money aside for presents which will cover birthday presents throughout the year plus Christmas. I have a spreadsheet that has all the birthdays and Christmas presents on it and a budget per person. I then worked out how much I needed to put away. It is fairly low at the start of the year and then after summer I reduce the savings for holidays and increase the amount for presents. This is the first time I've done this. I don't usually save for anything so it is a big step forward.

I completely agree with you on OH position. Believe me, I'm not just sitting back and accepting the position. We are looking for something for him so I'm just hoping he gets something soon.

To be fair to OH he is trying to reduce smoking and drinking and has said that any funds he doesn't spend out of his amounts can be put towards holidays.
    New starting debt 30/12/2018 £30,164.76:eek:
    Revised debt £29,361.70 2.66% paid
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    List done although I still have yoga to go to later on.

I have taken £20 out in cash for DS lunches. He usually takes money once a week so £20 more than covers this. If there is anything left I can't decide whether to give it to DS or whether to put it in the holiday spends tub :think:

There will be a small spend of £2 tonight for yoga.

I have started to look at holidays for the summer. Need to discuss with OH and get something booked.

Funds are:

£156.79 Groceries
    £47.27 Petrol
    £78.28 tobacco
    £47.27 my personal spends
    £80.00 OH personal spends
    £0.00 DS pocket money
    £8.75 Family days out + £1.53 in cash
    £0.00 school lunches
    £10.53 house
    £13.98 bal cfwd from last pay
    444.21 total

£18.00 in purse (£2 deducted for yoga)

£20.00 cash for school lunches

23 days until payday.

NP x
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    Morning! Half way through the week :D

List for today :

- meals per meal planner
    - hm soup on for lunch.
    - gym
    - no unhealthy snacks
    - check bank

Reflecting on how I'm doing and I am pleased with my progress so far. There are usually much higher spends by now. I usually splurge in the first 2 weeks, scrimp on the 3rd and 4th, sometimes going onto the cc's by the 4th week. I am feeling positive and will be so pleased if all works out. I also have put funds into savings fairly frequently but by week 3 I am always raiding the savings accounts so determined not to do this from now on.

Have a lovely day everyone :)

NP x
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    Credit Card statements are in so will update signature later and spreadsheet.
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    OK so not all the cc statements have come in. I'm still waiting on one so I'll wait until then before I update my signature.

I've updated my cc tracker spreadsheet with the statements that have come in so that's good. One of the payments isn't due until after I get paid meaning that I have an extra £200 this pay. This is down to me being paid 4 weekly and it always ends up that there is one month that I don't need to pay a d/d.

What I would usually do is transfer that money over to my spend account and spend it. Not this month!!!!! I have actually paid it over to my cc :T

It won't show up until the next statement now but I am so pleased with myself :cool:
  • nowpanicking
    Options
    List is complete for today.

We rented a movie to watch tonight - some family time :) so a small spend for today. I'm not doing so well with the NSD's unfortunately!!

Funds are:

£156.79 Groceries
    £47.27 Petrol
    £78.28 tobacco
    £44.12 my personal spends
    £0.00 DS pocket money
    £0.00 school lunches
    £10.53 house
    £13.98 bal cfwd from last pay
    439.72 total

£18.00 in purse

£16.00 cash for school lunches

22 days until payday

Now off to have a cuppa and update my spreadsheet with my additional payment :D :coffee:

NP x
  • Littletinks
    Options
    OK so not all the cc statements have come in. I'm still waiting on one so I'll wait until then before I update my signature.

I've updated my cc tracker spreadsheet with the statements that have come in so that's good. One of the payments isn't due until after I get paid meaning that I have an extra £200 this pay. This is down to me being paid 4 weekly and it always ends up that there is one month that I don't need to pay a d/d.

What I would usually do is transfer that money over to my spend account and spend it. Not this month!!!!! I have actually paid it over to my cc :T

It won't show up until the next statement now but I am so pleased with myself :cool:

Well done NP on making a hefty additional payment to your cc :dance:
    52 Week Savings Challenge #26 16/52

Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2023 #2 £305.60/£300
  • nowpanicking
    edited 18 January 2019 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Thanks Littletinks! :)

Day off work today, I went out with my mum, went for lunch and did a bit of shopping. Not very MSE I'm afraid but it was a lovely day. So the funds have gone down a bit. £23 spend in total :o

£156.79 Groceries
    £47.27 Petrol
    £78.28 tobacco
    £34.12 my personal spends £10 deducted for lunch
    £0.00 DS pocket money
    £0.00 school lunches
    £10.53 house
    £0.98 bal cfwd from last pay £13 deducted for spends today
    416.72 total

£17.00 in purse

£16.00 cash for school lunches

21 days until payday
  • nowpanicking
    edited 18 January 2019 at 7:55PM
    Options
    Friday!!! :j

Busy day at work today so I didn't get a chance to post earlier with my list. What I have achieved today is:

- gym
    - no unhealthy snacks
    - food plan for week
    - shopping list for week
    - shop at @ldi which was on budget
    - meal per meal planner
    - no unnecessary spends

Meal plan for the week

Pizza
    Meal at relatives
    Salad
    Steak round (baked pot for me)
    Stuffed peppers
    Soup and toasties
    Pasta and garlic bread

We're away this weekend staying at a relatives so planning on a sober weekend for health and MSE reasons. Will be interesting to see how we get on as we do usually drink when visiting.

Funds are:

£106. 91 Groceries
    £47.27 Petrol
    £78.28 tobacco
    £34.12 my personal spends
    £0.00 DS pocket money
    £0.00 school lunches
    £10.53 house
    £0.98 bal cfwd from last pay
    366.84.total