too good too be true ??

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brilliant !
    Presumably they didn’t reply to that.....

I thought that would have put them off, but no....

"We can do everything through the transport company, uShip, they are taking care of everything and they can arrange a delivery to your address. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £6,000 with the delivery charges included. If you decide to buy the vehicle let me know, as I have a lot of people enquiring about, and send me an e-mail with your full details (Full name, Address, Phone number). As soon as I have your details I will pass them to the shipping company and they will start the procedures. Next step they will get in touch with you and send you an invoice for the vehicle, the tracking number to check the status of the delivery at any time and all the rest of the transaction details. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to the transport company (NOT to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agreed to keep the vehicle. For the buyer's peace of mind I've also added a 5 DAYS REFUND POLICY so if you won't like the vehicle, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the vehicle is not as described, the transport company will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep the vehicle after the 5 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then I will get the money from the transport company.
    Regards,
    David John Rose"
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    many thanks. You live and learn !
  • davidwood681
    Options
    I'd rather pay a little too much for the right vehicle and risk losing a little than not pay enough and risk losing the lot
  • oscarward
    Options
    Brilliant !
    Presumably they didn’t reply to that.....

Last time I replied to one of these and asked to see the vehicle ( I was bored and you never know it could be a jealous bitter ex wife) the answer I got was

'The car was in a shipping container ready for shipment and the Hamburg handling agent had the paperwork and wouldn't release it. But I could see the car after I had paid the money to Ebay Escrow services and it had been shipped to the UK. If I was happy then Ebay Escrow would release the money'...

I eventually reported them to the ISP in Aberdeen where he had registered the Ebay Escrow services domain
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You wonder why the scammers don't price at just a little below market value, people would be less wary, and hand over more money. There can't be that many people about now whose greed and desire to beat everyone else to a grossly underpriced "bargain" means they part with the money as fast as they can click the mouse.

The counterfeiters seem to have caught on with general eBay sales, the copies are almost the same price as the genuine items now, you have to be really careful buying anything.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • madcouple
    Options
    this scam … where do I start.... motorguys posts are true!!!! I am the stupid one who fell for it. in one of motorguys posts (the email with regards david john rose at the end) is the exact email I got!!!! word for word!!! I was buying a car on ebay. I also got the same message from ebay saying that the sellers out of the office and there was a phone number and a different email address.... I truly stupidly believed that the seller was out of the office …. I in the end got a reply back the next day with a different email address stating that I David John Rose am the seller of the so and so car...… I received the other exact same email that motorguy has added on this forum stating that he is away and there are 2 options... and that i'd have a 5 day inspection period... I agreed to the first option.....I even got sent an email with a invoice from paypal with my name at the top the exact paypal logo... ebay item number invoice number and loads more details.... i had to go onto paypal live chat... i spoke to an apparent advisor and had to give ebay item number and afew other things to get the right thing up.... only then once it was confirmed that it was the car i was buying. only then could the apparent advisor give me the details to pay the funds.
    I STUPIDLY DID THAT ONLY 9 DAYS AGO I PAID £6000 INTO AN ACCOUNT FROM MY ONLINE BANKING ACCOUNT and paid a direct bank transfer. once i had paid that i even got a receipt through from paypal. the guy was replying to my emails there was over 30 in total as i was asking a lot of questions. i even did a full HPI check on the car and the car wasn't stolen financed imported or anything what so ever!!! BUT even when the guy DAVID JOHN ROSE when i wanted to buy the car before i even made the payment never once answered the phone number that was in the ebay sellers away message and also he sent it to me in an email. anyway the guy told me that the car will be delivered yesterday TUESDAY 19TH February 2019 at the estimated time of 5pm-7pm. me my partner and my kids waited in from 3pm just in case the USHIPPERS FROM USHIP turned up early!!! it got to 6:30 waiting and i emailed the DAVID JOHN ROSE and had no reply ….. an hour later no car emailed again no replys …. so ive had no car at all.. and no replys any more at all. i phoned paypal to check my money, they've told me ive been scammed everything ive told them was wrong. phoned my bank they checked the bank account i paid into and of course all my moneys gone. i am posting this now and this is the very day i have found out that ive been scammed. we are in a real state of shock the bank says the moneys gone, i paid through a bank transfer and im not protected in anyway shape or from. that was the only money i had and took me a very long time to save for it. .I FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE DAVID JOHN ROSE EVEN SENT ME A PHOTO OF HIS PASSPORT WITH HIS PHOTO ON IT, AND SAID HE NEEDED MINE FOR THE TRANSPORT COMPANY I SENT A PHOTO OF MY PASSPORT BUT MINE WAS no valid as it had run out... so i send him a photo of my husbands driving licence. DAVID JOHN ROSE said thanks that's great NOW ive been told today that he would of wanted that for identity theft. so now we've got the massive worry of that too.
    I AM REPORTING THIS TO ACTION FRAUD.
    PLEASE EVERYONE BE VERY CAFEFUL i am never going to buy a car from ebay ever ever again. and im wondering if the police will ever to be able to ctach this or these guy/guys
    AND if theres anyone who has any advice on this will be greatful. AND IM STILL IN TOTAL SHOCK THAT MOTORGUY HAS HAD THE EXACT SAME EMAILS WORD FOR WORD AS ME.
    I THOUGH STUPIDLY FELL FOR IT.
  • madcouple
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    i thought that would have put them off, but no....

"we can do everything through the transport company, uship, they are taking care of everything and they can arrange a delivery to your address. If this is going to be a quick sale, i will let it go for £6,000 with the delivery charges included. If you decide to buy the vehicle let me know, as i have a lot of people enquiring about, and send me an e-mail with your full details (full name, address, phone number). As soon as i have your details i will pass them to the shipping company and they will start the procedures. Next step they will get in touch with you and send you an invoice for the vehicle, the tracking number to check the status of the delivery at any time and all the rest of the transaction details. After you've received the invoice you'll need to make the payment by bank transfer to the transport company (not to me) and they will hold the money into their bank account until you receive, inspect and agreed to keep the vehicle. For the buyer's peace of mind i've also added a 5 days refund policy so if you won't like the vehicle, you'll receive a full refund, no fees or taxes deducted. If the vehicle is not as described, the transport company will transfer the money back into your bank account. If you decide to keep the vehicle after the 5 days inspection period, you will need to sign the owner transfer papers and only then i will get the money from the transport company.
    Regards,
    david john rose"
    that is the exact same email that i got word for word i stupidly fell for it. I have added my own experience on too good to be true
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    madcouple wrote: »
    this scam … where do I start.... motorguys posts are true!!!! I am the stupid one who fell for it. in one of motorguys posts (the email with regards david john rose at the end) is the exact email I got!!!! word for word!!! I was buying a car on ebay. I also got the same message from ebay saying that the sellers out of the office and there was a phone number and a different email address.... I truly stupidly believed that the seller was out of the office …. I in the end got a reply back the next day with a different email address stating that I David John Rose am the seller of the so and so car...… I received the other exact same email that motorguy has added on this forum stating that he is away and there are 2 options... and that i'd have a 5 day inspection period... I agreed to the first option.....I even got sent an email with a invoice from paypal with my name at the top the exact paypal logo... ebay item number invoice number and loads more details.... i had to go onto paypal live chat... i spoke to an apparent advisor and had to give ebay item number and afew other things to get the right thing up.... only then once it was confirmed that it was the car i was buying. only then could the apparent advisor give me the details to pay the funds.
    I STUPIDLY DID THAT ONLY 9 DAYS AGO I PAID £6000 INTO AN ACCOUNT FROM MY ONLINE BANKING ACCOUNT and paid a direct bank transfer. once i had paid that i even got a receipt through from paypal. the guy was replying to my emails there was over 30 in total as i was asking a lot of questions. i even did a full HPI check on the car and the car wasn't stolen financed imported or anything what so ever!!! BUT even when the guy DAVID JOHN ROSE when i wanted to buy the car before i even made the payment never once answered the phone number that was in the ebay sellers away message and also he sent it to me in an email. anyway the guy told me that the car will be delivered yesterday TUESDAY 19TH February 2019 at the estimated time of 5pm-7pm. me my partner and my kids waited in from 3pm just in case the USHIPPERS FROM USHIP turned up early!!! it got to 6:30 waiting and i emailed the DAVID JOHN ROSE and had no reply ….. an hour later no car emailed again no replys …. so ive had no car at all.. and no replys any more at all. i phoned paypal to check my money, they've told me ive been scammed everything ive told them was wrong. phoned my bank they checked the bank account i paid into and of course all my moneys gone. i am posting this now and this is the very day i have found out that ive been scammed. we are in a real state of shock the bank says the moneys gone, i paid through a bank transfer and im not protected in anyway shape or from. that was the only money i had and took me a very long time to save for it. .I FORGOT TO SAY THAT THE DAVID JOHN ROSE EVEN SENT ME A PHOTO OF HIS PASSPORT WITH HIS PHOTO ON IT, AND SAID HE NEEDED MINE FOR THE TRANSPORT COMPANY I SENT A PHOTO OF MY PASSPORT BUT MINE WAS no valid as it had run out... so i send him a photo of my husbands driving licence. DAVID JOHN ROSE said thanks that's great NOW ive been told today that he would of wanted that for identity theft. so now we've got the massive worry of that too.
    I AM REPORTING THIS TO ACTION FRAUD.
    PLEASE EVERYONE BE VERY CAFEFUL i am never going to buy a car from ebay ever ever again. and im wondering if the police will ever to be able to ctach this or these guy/guys
    AND if theres anyone who has any advice on this will be greatful. AND IM STILL IN TOTAL SHOCK THAT MOTORGUY HAS HAD THE EXACT SAME EMAILS WORD FOR WORD AS ME.
    I THOUGH STUPIDLY FELL FOR IT.

Don't be put off buying a car from eBay again, but the same rule applies to all internet sales - cash on delivery. Don't pay for something you can't inspect and take away on the spot. With cars you ideally want to collect it from the address on the V5, too.
  • Mikeswift88
    Options
    Hi everyone. First time in here ND boy am I glad I found this page. I found a mini countryman on ebY that was about 3k under valued and tryed to call the seller for some details but didn't pick up.

Ebay item number is 2F153398348905. As I am a new user mse won't let me post links.

I then messaged the seller through eBay and also sent a txt with some questions about it but revived no reply. The number on the ad was 07534 326750

I received a call later that night from a different number 07432 098771. He was an Indian chap called David and told me he was the owner and was currently working in the Isle of man and would not be home for another 2 months. The ad was for location in Campbeltown. He told me if I was interested to give him my email address and he would send some details. I did this and he basicly sent me the same ad info as ebay. I explained I wanted more detail like Mot, had it been written of etc. He then replied with the following email and the spider senses started tingling.

"Hi,
    1 Oct 2019 Mot. It has bluetooth, aux in and usb. No warning lights. No problems. No write off history. Since I am in the Isle of Man there are only 2 ways to do this sale:

* The first option is to use a transport company that deals with the transaction, vehicle and the money as escrow. I travel for my work and I do not have time to bring the vehicle and I think your free time is limited too, so this is the perfect way to make things easier, fast and safe for both of us. I will pay the company, so you will not pay extra money then the vehicle price. You will get the vehicle to your home address, and you can check the vehicle before making the final decision. I think this is the perfect way for us.

* The second option is by using PayPal pay after delivery service: link

Please let me know how you want to continue with this transaction and I will provide more details.
    Regards,

David John Rose"

Let's be honest this sounded great not having to pay until after delivery and would save me a journey. Then I discovered this thread and read the above and decided to call it quits.

From what I read he would then go on and ask for payment before delivery etc and would end up loosing out big time.

Thank you all for your posts this has really helped me out. Just to let you know that this guy is still out there and he is still up to no good.

He goes by

David John Rose
    07534 326750
    07432 098771
    david.jh.ros@gmail.com
    Ebay user paqu7743

Stay safe out there.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand why people pay in advance over the internet for cars they haven't seen to people they don't know.

If you were about to go into McDonalds and someone jumped in front of you and said, "Hey mate, give us 4 quid and I'll go round the back and get you a supersized Quarter Pounder Cheeseburger meal with a free toy. I'll meet you over the street in ten minutes - you can't lose."

Would you say yes? No one would. But suddenly when it's thousands of pounds for a car...

The worst eBay one I have heard is a woman who paid £14k for a motorhome and the seller still mucked her around for almost a week after it wasn't delivered before it dawned on her she'd been scammed and called the police.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback