PIP Timescales?

Options
I applied for PIP on the 12th November and the DWP confirmed that they received my PIP2 back on Dec 20th. Just received an information pack from Capita Dated 10th Jan and I noticed it states a 16-week assessment timescale.

Is this 16 weeks just for Capita to assess me? and the DWP get more weeks to make the decision?

This is the 10th week since I applied so looking at 6 months + for a decision? Is this normal for a new claim?
I'm Ever hopeful!
:j:j:j:j

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I applied for PIP on the 12th November and the DWP confirmed that they received my PIP2 back on Dec 20th. Just received an information pack from Capita Dated 10th Jan and I noticed it states a 16-week assessment timescale.

Is this 16 weeks just for Capita to assess me? and the DWP get more weeks to make the decision?

This is the 10th week since I applied so looking at 6 months + for a decision? Is this normal for a new claim?
    That will be 16 weeks for the assessment waiting time, but it could be less or more, it's just a guide because there's no timescales.

Once you've had the face to face assessment a decision can take between 2-8 weeks.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    The PIP claim process is a (ridiculously) long process but if you are awarded something it will be backdated to the date you rang to start the claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    Thanks Both.

Just finding the process quite stressful and can feel my anxiety increasing.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Thanks Both.

Just finding the process quite stressful and can feel my anxiety increasing.
    Yes, you and thousands of others. It's always a very stressful time, even for those that don't suffer from mental health. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do in the meantime.

Have a read of this, it may help you understand what the descriptors mean. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    So today an appointment for the assessment popped through the letterbox and am now booked in for 22 Jan was originally 29th at 8.10am in a different city but I can't drive that early in the morning as I am too groggy from my tablets. I will be pleased to get over with though and it feels like Capita are working quite swiftly :)
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    This is my experience:
    09/10/18 – called for a form
    10/10/18 – text to say that the form was on its way
    11/10/18 – another text to say the form was on its way and to allow 7 days for it to reach me
    18/10/18 – form arrived
    05/11/18 – posted form back
    15/11/18 – text to say form received.
    29/11/18 – text with my face to face appointment info
    04/12/18 – face to face appointment
    07/01/11 – text to say written report has been received, and I should hear from them within 6 weeks.

I haven’t heard anything yet, but I thought this might be helpful for anyone wanting an idea about timescales. At my interview they told me that I could expect an 8 week wait to hear as Christmas would delay them. She said that normally people could expect to hear within 6 weeks of the face to face.
    Are you talking about PIP? This thread is about ESA and they are different benefits. They don't send texts for ESA saying the form is on it's way.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Are you talking about PIP? This thread is about ESA and they are different benefits. They don't send texts for ESA saying the form is on it's way.

This thread's about PIP though :)
  • icklesurfer
    icklesurfer Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 11:41AM
    Options
    Sorry, deleted my post as i was told this was a thread dedicated to ESA but I've double checked and it is a PIP thread so i'll repost!

This is my experience:
    11/10/18 – another text to say the form was on its way and to allow 7 days for it to reach me
    18/10/18 – form arrived
    07/01/11 – text to say written report has been received, and I should hear from them within 6 weeks.

I haven’t heard anything yet, but I thought this might be helpful for anyone wanting an idea about timescales. At my interview they told me that I could expect an 8 week wait to hear as Christmas would delay them. She said that normally people could expect to hear within 6 weeks of the face to face.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    This thread's about PIP though :)
    Sorry about that, i got confused between threads.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    Sorry, deleted my post as i was told this was a thread dedicated to ESA but I've double checked and it is a PIP thread so i'll repost!

This is my experience:
    18/10/18 – form arrived

Have you asked for a copy of your report? That seems to be the general advice that I have seen, as it gives an indication of the outcome but also you have it there ready if the outcome isn't what you expect.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family