Water Bills questions and comment

Options

Comments

• free_will_2
    Options
    hi
    i now have a single persons reduction on my water bill (couldnt fit a meter) which has halved the cost!!.....but i still have to pay 6 yrs arrears at the full cost, even though my circumstances havn't changed. is this fair?

i have been asking for a meter for years. at first they talked me out of having a meter....then a yr later said they couldnt fit it (im a block of flats)....then yrs later again visited my house to fit a meter but couldnt because i had more than 2 inlets. at this point the engineer said i need a single person discount.

the 6 yrs arrears happened because i moved from a house share where i didnt have to pay water bills.....therefore not realising i had to pay in my new flat. nothing was sent to me until they asked for the 6yrs backdated...along with some court threats and fines, if i didnt pay immediately!!!:mad: i have now been struggling to pay the arrears for 4 years!

i realise its my mistake for not contacting them (??!!!) but should i have to pay the huge overpriced original bill costs? they say i have!

any ideas people???:beer:
  • babyfruitella
    Options
    Thanks Gothic & Cardew. I did try to switch us to a meter when we moved in but as its a rented property we weren't allowed to do it without the landlords permission. We've been in the house over a year now so I think we can just go ahead & do it now. Thanks again.
    COMP WINS FOR HUBBY & I SINCE SEPTEMBER:
    2 £50 DOMINOS VOUCHERS, 13 PAIRS OF FOOTBALL TICKETS, MICROSOFT HOME EDTN, 2 PAIRS OF ALTON TOWERS TICKETS, 1 CASE OF PERCY PIGS, 1 PAIR OF LEATHER LADIES GLOVES, 4 COLLECTION 2000 PRODUCTS, PLAYSTATION 3 WITH FIFA 12, 5* HOTEL STAY IN LONDON, SEASON 6 OF SUPERNATURAL DVD, PERFECT PIZZA VOUCHER
  • Nara
    Nara Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anywhere or way to check if your paying the right amount? We pay £47 a month on southern water but i have no idea if this is alot or not? Surely my neighbours would be charged the same as all houses are the same size? How do they work out how much you should be paying if your not on a meter.
    Many thanks
  • xxlcxx
    Options
    hello everyone

i could do with some advice ! i am looking to move into a 1 bedroom flat with my boyfriend. We have not done this before so we are both unsure of what the utility bills may be. does anyone know what the average water bill will cost a month, and gas and electric.

your replies would be much appreciated ! thankyou

lucy
  • jakx_2
    jakx_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    What would be a fair amount for a Holiday Site to bill the owners of a privately owned 2 bedroom chalet for Water & Sewage?

The property, on the East coast, is limited to 6 months habitation and the site charges the owners under the following headings:-

Essex & Suffolk Water... £242.
    Angian Water (sewage charge)... £258.

Do these figures reflect the 'market' fairly, especially bearing in mind the site-imposed restricted 50% occupancy period?

Any comments or advice gratefully received...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    xxlcxx wrote: »
    hello everyone

i could do with some advice ! i am looking to move into a 1 bedroom flat with my boyfriend. We have not done this before so we are both unsure of what the utility bills may be. does anyone know what the average water bill will cost a month, and gas and electric.

your replies would be much appreciated ! thankyou

lucy

There is no point in posting the same question twice in different threads.
    That is the original 'how long is a piece of string' question.

Firstly the water charges vary a great deal depending what part of the country you live. The SW of England pay two to three times more than some other parts of UK.

Then it depends if your flat has a meter or not. Without a meter you are charged on on the Rateable Value(RV) and that can vary tremendously. It is possible also that a meter was applied for and can't be fitted so you would be on an assessed charge.

An average figure for a couple would be between £200 to £300 a year, but as indicated above could be a lot more or quite a bit less.
  • Cardew
    Options
    jakx wrote: »
    What would be a fair amount for a Holiday Site to bill the owners of a privately owned 2 bedroom chalet for Water & Sewage?

The property, on the East coast, is limited to 6 months habitation and the site charges the owners under the following headings:-

Essex & Suffolk Water... £242.
    Angian Water (sewage charge)... £258.

Do these figures reflect the 'market' fairly, especially bearing in mind the site-imposed restricted 50% occupancy period?

Any comments or advice gratefully received...

Landlords/holiday site owners etc cannot re-sell gas and electricity for more than they pay, and I believe that also applies for water as well - you need to check - ask ofwat or Consumer Council for Water.

Do you know if the main site is metered and the total bill split between the number of Holiday Chalets e.g. Water £2420 Sewerage £2580 split between 10 chalets.

Certainly £500 is high for metered and would be astronomical if the chalets had an individual Rateable Value.

The 6 months occupation would be relevant if metered but not if it was on RV charging basis, unless the properties were unoccupied for a continuous 6 months.

The other point is that it may well be that the site owner is paying commercial rates - and I have no idea how that would work.

Anyway you are entitled to ask for a detailed breakdown of how those charges are calculated.
  • jakx_2
    jakx_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Landlords/holiday site owners etc cannot re-sell gas and electricity for more than they pay, and I believe that also applies for water as well - you need to check - ask ofwat or Consumer Council for Water .................. Anyway you are entitled to ask for a detailed breakdown of how those charges are calculated.

Interesting points...

Many thanks for that excellent response Cardew, the truth is that we have no idea how they 'work it out' but it always appears to be increased annually by a rounded £10 'ish figure... I did contact the Water companies a few years ago but they weren't much help - between us and the site they 'seemed' to be saying?

We will now, as you suggest, ask the site owner for a detailed breakdown of the charges and, in the meantime, contact Ofwat or Watever... :D

Thanks again, will report back...
  • Cardew
    Options
    jakx wrote: »
    Interesting points...

Many thanks for that excellent response Cardew, the truth is that we have no idea how they 'work it out' but it always appears to be increased annually by a rounded £10 'ish figure... I did contact the Water companies a few years ago but they weren't much help - between us and the site they 'seemed' to be saying?

We will now, as you suggest, ask the site owner for a detailed breakdown of the charges and, in the meantime, contact Ofwat or Watever... :D

Thanks again, will report back...

Here you are! All you ever wanted to know about reselling water

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/legacy/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/waterresale.html
  • free_will_2
    Options
    just if it helps!.....how longs a bit of string? ; )

in london, single guy, low usage
    £500 per year gas elec (gas heating/oven)
    £200-300 water
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure