Harringtons Advisory???

Options

Comments

• Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    michwalk wrote: »
    About April time I had letters from Barclaycard,capital one and studio catalogue,saying that harringtons advisory do not have the right authority to act on my behalf,so they have written to me directly.

If Harringtons were unable to obtain the authority from the banks to act on your behalf then they were incapable of providing you with a claims management service you contracted them to perform and as such they have no right to charge you in my view.
  • charliefox
    Options
    Interesting reading the above.
    My wife has been going through this with Harringtons. After months of no progress and confusing telephone conversations between both her bank and HA, she aaked to stop the process.
    She was told she would have to pay for work done totalling 4 hours. Great.. pay it and never hear from them again. Sadly, they charge £500 per hour....
    That can't be right can it...? £2000 fees to get out..?
    Thanks!
  • Alpine_Star
    Options
    charliefox wrote: »
    My wife has been going through this with Harringtons. After months of no progress and confusing telephone conversations between both her bank and HA, she aaked to stop the process.
    She was told she would have to pay for work done totalling 4 hours. Great.. pay it and never hear from them again. Sadly, they charge £500 per hour....
    Thanks!

Looking at their terms & conditions they state:

''If you cancel after the Cooling Off Period, you must pay our reasonable charges for the work we have done. These will be calculated at the actual cost to us.''

£500 clearly isn't reasonable. Make a formal complaint and it you're still not happy go to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £500 clearly isn't reasonable. Make a formal complaint and it you're still not happy go to the Legal Ombudsman.

Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable. Although that is something that may be coming apparently.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alpine_Star
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable.

Yes they do.
  • Pheik
    Options
    Hi, I'm interest to know whether you have received any payment from the company. Thank you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alpine_Star
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable. Although that is something that may be coming apparently.

''An ombudsman will determine a complaint by reference to what is, in his/her opinion, fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case.''

http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/downloads/documents/publications/Scheme-Rules.pdf
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    edited 26 October 2015 at 3:49PM
    Options
    michwalk wrote: »
    I have made a complaint,waiting for them to reply.and phoned the claims management regulator and ombudsman. But I don't hold out much hope of getting any help with this,as it sounded like they were on their side.
    If Harringtons were unable to obtain the authority from the banks to act on your behalf then they were incapable of providing you with a claims management service you contracted them to perform and as such they have no right to charge you in my view.

Hello Michwalk,

We’re sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service you have received from your claims management company (CMC). We understand from your post that you have complained to the company concerned and we hope they are able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction.

If the company are unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within eight weeks, then you can refer your complaint to us. You will find more information about how we can help in the Helping the Public section of our website.

With regards to the contact you have already had with us in relation to this matter, we are sorry we have given you the impression that we’re on the side of the company. We can assure you that we look at complaints impartially; we do not take sides.

We want to understand more about your experience of our service and we would like the opportunity to explain more about our role and to resolve any concerns you have about our impartiality. We have let one of our senior investigators know about your post and they would be happy to speak with you. Maybe you can telephone us on 0300 555 0333 or email your contact details to [EMAIL="cmc@legalombudsman.or.uk"]cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk[/EMAIL] and we’ll call you back.

We can also see that Alpine Star has responded to your post with his view on whether your CMC have any right to charge you. The point Alpine Star has raised is certainly relevant and something we would consider, should you raise your complaint with us. We will however need to look at all the circumstances of your case before making a decision.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Options
    charliefox wrote: »
    Thanks!

Hi Charliefox,

You’re not alone, approximately 40% of the complaints we received in our first six months were about fees. If you think the fees you’re being charged are unreasonable, the first step is to complain to the company concerned. You may find our template letter useful.

If the company don’t resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within eight weeks, then you can ask us to look at your complaint. You can find out more about what we do by visiting the claims management company complaints section of our website.

We will look at whether cancellation charges are fair and reasonable and this will include consideration of whether the charges reflect the work the CMC has undertaken. On the face of it, £500 is not a reasonable hourly charge, but we would have to consider all of the circumstances before making a decision.

Finally, you might want to take a look at one of our case studies, where we helped resolve a complaint about the level of cancellation fees.

We hope the company can resolve your complaint, but you know where we are if you need us.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure