Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I need to look out for a Tai Chi dvd in the charity shop :D. Have a lovely evening.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I need to look out for a Tai Chi dvd in the charity shop :D. Have a lovely evening.

Good idea!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    An ex colleague who retired a few years ago does Tai Chi and loves it. Maybe worth a try? I've also got a retired friend who goes swimming 3-4 times a week and is totally rejuvenated plus has gone from a size 18 to a 10. Personally I don't swim, but if you do, maybe that would be good for you.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    I’m afraid I swim like the proverbial stone SA. :rotfl: Although I was sporty as I child I hated swimming and used to get my mum to write sick notes for me so I didn’t have to go with the school! I’ve always meant to have lessons to improve but never got round to it. And there’s no pool near to where I live within walking distance. I do have the sea nearby I suppose but that’s too cold!:D. But it’s going to be another thing put on the to do list for when I retire. :D
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Early post today as I’m out late afternoon to the cinema to see ‘Darkest Hour’ with my friend, which I’m really looking forward to.

I’ve been to Iceland this morning and bought the frozen cauli rice packets. I also bought some cauli rice and greens packets as well. Haven’t been to Iceland for what seems like years so was pleasantly surprised by what they are seling now and how cheap it is.

I’ve also got my Pilates session later on early afternoon.

One of the items on my to do list for 2018 was to sort out my pensions and, which in true Seasidegal procrastinating fashion, I not done anything about yet. I received my annual statement yesterday for my workplace pension so this has prompted me to sort out the contact deatails of my other two smaller DCB schemes and I’m going to call them tomorrow to arrange transfer to my workplace scheme so everything is in one place.

I also have a very small AVC scheme which I took out years ago to run in tandem with my final salary scheme. It’s only worth around the £11,000 mark but I thought I might as well transfer this as well. I can however withdraw up to 25% in tax free cash so I think I will do this from the AVC and put c.£2,500 towards my kitchen fund.

Have a great Sunday everyone - the sun seems to be finally making an appearance this morning at last!
    🌟
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Enjoy Darkest Hour SSG, I'm sure you will :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what you think about the greens rice SSG, not too sure about it myself. It's ok but I prefer the cauli rice. Iceland have really upped their game recently. Enjoy the film xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SSG I read your old diary , I think you did the right thing paying everything off with your money. I was going to ask if you had any pension arrangements, and you had read my mind . They sound really good and it’s good that you have it. My big elephant is that I will still need to pay rent , that is what I want to save for. I can’t rely on inheritance it could all be used up so won’t take it into account. My dad laughs at me and says you will have a good retirement on your inheritance but I never think of it .

Have got my cauliflower rice as well , will let you know when I have tried it.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Enjoy Darkest Hour SSG, I'm sure you will :).

Thank you Hairy - it was a wonderful film and if Gary Oldman doesn't get a BAFTA and Oscar there is no justice in this world!:D
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what you think about the greens rice SSG, not too sure about it myself. It's ok but I prefer the cauli rice. Iceland have really upped their game recently. Enjoy the film xx

I had both the greens rice and cauli rice last night for dinner SA. I really like the cauli rice - it was rather "carb" tasting and therefore satisfying. The green rice was nice (I thought there was cauli in it, but there wasn't) but not so substantial so I treated this as a vegetable to complement the "rice." I had them with two little pork fillet steaks and BBQ sauce and it all totted up to a very good low cal meal. The green rice did pong out the kitchen a bit though when it came out of the microwave!
    SSG I read your old diary , I think you did the right thing paying everything off with your money. I was going to ask if you had any pension arrangements, and you had read my mind . They sound really good and it’s good that you have it. My big elephant is that I will still need to pay rent , that is what I want to save for. I can’t rely on inheritance it could all be used up so won’t take it into account. My dad laughs at me and says you will have a good retirement on your inheritance but I never think of it .

Have got my cauliflower rice as well , will let you know when I have tried it.

I rang the pension providers up this morning Cumbria and they are sending out the transfer values to me - should take between five and fourteen working days. The AVC is worth a little more than I first thought - c.£12,800, so there will be a little more cash to go towards the kitchen fund - maybe c.£3,200. Although I suspect there will be some transfer fees to pay out that will reduce it slightly.

So do you mean that you want to save up a lump sum to put away for your rent when you retire?

Last night my friend and I agreed that we should make more effort to go out and see films - so we have decided to make it more of a regular event. Accordingly, we have decided to go and see the "The Three Billings......" film on Sunday as it has had such fantastic reviews. Also would like to see "The Post" as well as the trailer looked good.

I'm also going to order some boots from Marisota as I'm in need of a new black knee length pair. I've got £50 in the clothing budget and the Marisota pair is £59. I've been filling up the online basket and leaving it hoping I'll get a discount code and I did this morning!:j 20% off and free delivery! So I'm going to order these as they're within my budget now!

Will be working late tonight so I can get the dreaded project done and dusted!
    🌟
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I really want to see the Darkest Hour.

Is the workplace one a really secure one? I was reading about someone earlier who had transferred theirs into Carillion and will now get much less back, hindsight being a wonderful thing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback