PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Had a great day with my eldest daughter & her family yesterday. Her partner had to work (he's a chef at a local restaurant) but he managed to get home in time for dinner at able 7pm which was good, as he finished cooking the dinner (he's obviously a much better cook than my DD!).

Got lots of nice presents which we hadn't expected as we'd told our families not to buy gifts - they need to keep their money for their own needs. None of the kids earn good money and my DGD started uni this year so means money is even tighter now.

Hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas and like JackieO I wish everyone a very happy & peaceful New Year.

Denise
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,289 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure if all Asda's, but my local one today has bags of parsnips, carrots and sprouts to clear each bag 7p.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JCS1 wrote: »
    Not sure if all Asda's, but my local one today has bags of parsnips, carrots and sprouts to clear each bag 7p.

They were free in our Asda today :eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Free on Asda's - that is superb, mind you 7p is good.

Slowed cooked the lamb today till it fell off the bone.
    Blanched parsnip, Brussels and carrots - all bagged up and in the freezer.

Hubby finished off the turkey - with turkey and salad sandwiches.
    Finished the 6 mince pies.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 December 2018 at 1:43AM
    Options
    Hi chums, a bit earlier tonight as DD's very tired I think all the excitement of Christmas etc is catching up with her.I dropped DGS Jack off at the local Savacentre in Hempstead for his coffee bar job and youngest DGS Mikey wanted to come with me for a shufti around the shops with his Christmas cash.

He had £75.00 burning a hole in his pocket this morning.WE we looked in Game, no bargains to be had, his words were I can buy it cheaper online , Then went to Argos ,again nothing took his fancy ,even went into the large Sainsburys again nothing he fancied in there either. So we came back home with his cash intact.We may go to Chatham tomorrow and he can have a look around Primari, as he said he might see a hoodie there he fancies. I think he is at last growing up and thinking twice and really looking for value for his cash before splashing out.His next brother up Henry had also £75 in Christmas cash and has decided to open an online savings account for next year when he goes to Uni and has deposited £60.00 towards next year in it ,then when I went to pick Jack up from work just before 5 he came with me and bought some aftershave than he wanted and a lotion for his face out of his birthday cash.

One of the presents I bought him was a top of the range Gillette shaving system and he has started to shave this week bless him he is 17 and was asking his Dad the best way to do it so he doesn't cut himself, seems odd as it's not that long ago he was playing with Lego :) but I am glad he is being sensible and thinking ahead.

My little grandsons are growing up so quickly :). My son-in-law cooked a beautiful piece of beef for dinner today it was real melt in the mouth, and at lunch it was just left over odds and ends stuff on a help yourself basis which was nice.Hoping we can get a day out that is dry enough for the dogs to have a run and we can have a good walk and blow away the indoor cobwebs

No shopping done or needed for a few days as we have cupboard stuff full of food :) and I bought lots from my house as well.Just a couple of dry days would be nice this week..

When I was in Sainsburys with DGS Mikey I saw on the meat counter a shoulder of lamb and it looked nice but at £21.47 it could stay there as it was vastly overpriced I thought. the price of meat is unbelievable at the moment let hope it doesn't get any worse next year.

Another thing that was jaw dropping last week was the price that had been charged at "Santa's grotto' £5 per child and the presents that I saw were actual plastic tat. Didn't even get a photo with him either as they don't want children sitting on Santa's knee , what a sad twisted country we have become.

Well I don't seem to have spent much at all over the holiday and come next week a New Year will mean tightening my belt another notch and waiting and seeing what 29th March will bring.I may lay in some staple stuff if I can depends what seems likely to be running short .

Right the kettle calls as I am sleeping very comfortably on a long soft leather sofa. I have a blanket over my down sleeping bag which has kept me warm in may countries around the world. It zips up into a manageable size and folds away into a carrying case Its been a lifesaver over the past 10 years as its easily portable and very soft and warm,

My DD says she will kick one of the boys out of bed if you want Mum but I am more than comfy on the sofa, plus I am next door to the kitchen and hot kettle if ,as I do often, make cuppa in the night, I am a bit of a night owl when it comes to my joints :)

I am enjoying the break from the routine but by the weekend I will be itching to be back in my own home again.I have a very long list of to-do job that I want to get done mainly in the decluttering, but I want to get my New Years cleaning done before the bad weather arrives

Hope all is well with my virtual pals and hope to return with lots of many saving meal in the New Year

take care chums

JackieO xx
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Hope everyone is well and had a lovely Christmas. OH decided on Christmas Eve to buy a whole duck lol so we had that and a turkey joint for christmas dinner. We've got loads leftover so tonight we are having leftover roast dinner pasties which will use up the odd potatoes and roasted vegetables that were left. Managed to get a whole jar of fat off the duck which is in the fridge for future dinners. We have a lot of leftover duck meat so tomorrow will be duck wraps with some plum dipping sauce I made in the summer with plums from the garden.
    I'm absolutely fuming though as j made a load of the duck wraps and some sausage rolls which I took round my parents last night for their boxing day buffet and the whole lot got wasted. No one could be bothered to try them and they had been left out too long to chance keeping them ��
  • Gem-gem
    Options
    Still chomping our way through the gammon. I had it with vegetable mornay and hubby had it with boiled potatoes and beans (left over from yesterday).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Nellbell21
    Options
    I found the gammon joint really good value. Although child 2 didn’t like it as a roast, he ate it in pasta bake and such. Oldest loved it in everything. I got a lot of meals out it. We are going to be a lot tighter with shopping this month as we spend way too much. So make do and mend for everyone this month.��
  • Gem-gem
    Options
    Jacket potato with cheese and salad.
    Finished off the Dorito crisps.
    Very little of Christmas things left to tempt us into the new year.

Shredded lamb to turn into pies. Froze lamb fat as well as lamb jelly to make soup or sauce with.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Added reduce waste to my to do list for 2019 so I'm in, might not comment a lot but need inspiration.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback