PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Use Woolite for wool and silk: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/search?&searchTerm=woolite. This is what I grew up using on clothes that needed either the delicate cycle or the wool cycle. There are also versions of it now for dark clothes as well.

I gave the Waitrose link purely for illustration because they have both the regular and dark clothes formula. Wilko's and Tesco online also carry Woolite but only seem to have the regular/pink kind.

Woolite! Yes, of course! I’ve added it to the shopping list for when we our big shop for the month later this week. Thanks Jings.

I have two small shops to declare from yesterday: £7.30 at the farm shop, spent on veggies and eggs; £9.74 at Mr T’s where we bought yoghurts for the week, a couple of YS pizzas, some hummus and YS “burnt ends” of cooked beef for lunch. (The pizzas came in handy for dinner last night, when the Lidl frozen lobsters hadn’t defrosted in the fridge.)

The above brings our spend So far to £36.59/£120, leaving £83.41 for the rest of the month.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm the one with the daughter that was used to shopping at F&Mason or M&S Food Hall - she has just moved back in with us.

I needed some fruit and veg so without telling her where we were going I drove to Lidl. She opted to stay in the car!!! By the time I was three quarters of the way round curiosity had taken hold and she was quietly looking around. Shopping completed her comment was 'It was cleaner than I thought but there was no "shopping experience"' Personally I couldn't care less about the "experience" but I thought Round One went to me in her re-education.
  • selloptape
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    'It was cleaner than I thought but there was no "shopping experience"'

Sounds like you're halfway there with Lidl, won't be long before she's leaving you for dust in the aisle of dreams ;)

Spending on track for me at the min but teenager and I are both ill so not sure if that means less food will be bought or if we'll be needing comfort food :rotfl:
  • mrsnicewriting
    Options
    hi All
    Elsiepac thanks for starting this off again, can I join in again for this year please?
    Same budget as last year £1800 annual, hoping I'll fare better this time, as all ok until August then with one thing and another all went wrong.
    thanks again Sue

2022 Grocery Challenge £20.45 / £2600
  • debbiedodge1737
    Options
    Hello everyone , First quite day I've had since new years eve to get on here. Please put my down for £400 for January. I'm doing my first shop today. It's quite a high budget but we have eaten everything in the house over christmas.

Thanks
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join you guys. I'm on the Frugal 2019 thread so have a budget. Mine is £200 a month for groceries plus a £100 a month for eating out. If I go over on one I have to take from the other. I'd like to come i well under for both and reduce my budget further but it's early days so trying to be realistic.
    So far I've spent 38.98 from my £200 grocery budget ( and £10.90 for eating out).
    Just given my daughter the news that she will be taking packed lunch to college instead of having £3 T3sco 'meal.deals', she's taken it well. Made a nice pesto pasta for her today. Next step getting her to make her own!

After reading through the thread a couple of things sprung to mind. Buying jars of salsa for entertaining a large group... can make this very cheaply (though would buy for convenience on a small scale). Also mention of buying coffee pods. I also.made hummous recently, very easy, but I know it depends on the time you have available... No point spending a day at home cooking to save a fiver if you could earn more else where.
    I gave up using Tassimo pods due to recycling issues. I am a coffee snob and only drink real coffee, not instant. Have made a big saving sticking to my charity shop cafetiere. Funnily enough I have found that I can recycle them now and collect them from work and friends but don't use then myself anymore just to save money.
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    First proper spend of the year, £21.32 in Morries & £50.10 in Mr L’s so a total of £71.42
    There was an item or two that went in though not on the list yet also an item or two not picked up.. :A
    Looks like my full total so far is £84.58/£300..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join you guys. I'm on the Frugal 2019 thread so have a budget. Mine is £200 a month for groceries plus a £100 a month for eating out. If I go over on one I have to take from the other. I'd like to come i well under for both and reduce my budget further but it's early days so trying to be realistic.
    So far I've spent 38.98 from my £200 grocery budget ( and £10.90 for eating out).
    Just given my daughter the news that she will be taking packed lunch to college instead of having £3 T3sco 'meal.deals', she's taken it well. Made a nice pesto pasta for her today. Next step getting her to make her own!

After reading through the thread a couple of things sprung to mind. Buying jars of salsa for entertaining a large group... can make this very cheaply (though would buy for convenience on a small scale). Also mention of buying coffee pods. I also.made hummous recently, very easy, but I know it depends on the time you have available... No point spending a day at home cooking to save a fiver if you could earn more else where.
    I gave up using Tassimo pods due to recycling issues. I am a coffee snob and only drink real coffee, not instant. Have made a big saving sticking to my charity shop cafetiere. Funnily enough I have found that I can recycle them now and collect them from work and friends but don't use then myself anymore just to save money.

Ooh, where can you recycle Tassimo pods? Tassimo is my one luxury, I only allow myself 1 cup a day normally. I have been wrestling with my conscience lately over the recycling issue, so would be great if I didn't have to throw them away.
  • Laundry_Days
    Options
    Not too bad in week 1. Spent £22.71 in Lidl, £6.88 in £stretcher and then £47.21 in Tesco. Feeling pretty chuffed with it all as managed to budget beforehand and stick to the list... guess that's half the battle! :) Now to get planning for this week's shop...

£76.80/£600
  • Esthermate
    Options
    weekly Aldi shop only £6.52 making total so far: £36.49.
    Not bad.

Ha ha at fussy daughter; I used to be like that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure