PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I notice there is no shower in the bathroom, which is pretty much a standard requirement these days, so this might put buyers off, even if they can live with the avocado suite. For a comparatively small sum you could get a shower mixer attachment for the bath taps, which is better than nothing. I don't mean those rubber tubes, more like this...

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/apollo-bath-shower-mixer-chrome?campaign=googlebase&gclid=COTk6uiLus4CFaUV0wodWcMNcg

As well as the DAD wreath in the garden pics, I noticed the bath board in the bedroom, again adding to the impression that a decrepit old person lived there. I can't understand why the EA didn't make some attempt to hide such things before taking photos. You definitely need new ones (both EA and photos!).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Manic or not, it didn't sell before the decoration was done and the comments we received were quite clear. It went from 'lovely house, really like it but too much work needing doing, would need to reduce the price by another £20K), to lovely house, large rooms, beautiful garden, very nicely decorated, could move in right away and no need to do anything to it'.

The reality is that more and more buyers go by their first impression either way. They either walk in and get a feeling of doom at the prospect of the work that would be required to be to their standard, or they have that first 'this is the one, I have to have it' feeling.

Yes I did add the price of the decoration to the revised asking price.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I do get the difference between walking into a set from the Twilight Zone circa 1934 and a bright, neutral living space that the prospective buyer can see themselves living in and making their own, all I am saying is that kite flyers get found out in a downturn.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the benefits of updating also depend on the type of house and who you are selling to. When I sold my 2 bed terrace the advice I was given was not to do the work, as it was unlikely that I'd get the cost back. i think this was partlyu because mine was a 'start home' type property and the main potential buyers were BL landlords (who would probably prefer to do the work themselves, wquite possibly cheaper than i could) and first time buyers, for whom a cheaper asking price and then doing so DIY and some work asand when they could afford it would be more attractive.

But in marktering the house I priced it realitiscally taking into account the dated kitcehn and bathroom etc.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • bettyboo71
    bettyboo71 Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    TBagpuss, my situation was the same as yours, my buyers would either be first timers, or BtL landlords, so no point in me spending money which I would not have got back in the selling price. I was very lucky to find a couple expecting their first child who could only get a mortgage for my asking price - all the similar properties neaby had had the work done and were around £5k more.

I can't add to any of the advice already given, and the OP seems to not want the advice they asked for, but this has been a very entertaining thread all the same!
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Price has been dropped by £2k to £130k.
    Funeral wreath still in the pictures though

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html
    poppy10
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From a buyers view, the property needs -

1. New Kitchen
    2. New Bathroom
    3. Wardrobes removing - Walls making good.
    4. Decoration.

I would remove all the Furniture, have new photos taken.

What once was a family home, and something you like. Isnt what someone else will like. Whats down the side of the house, there was no picture.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Looks like the OP didn't take a blind bit of notice of any of the advice she was given then.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks like the OP didn't take a blind bit of notice of any of the advice she was given then.
    And that comes as a surprise, given her responses here?
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Price has been dropped by £2k to £130k.

Now down another £2k to £128k.
    This is what we call chasing the market down

Funeral wreath still in the pictures.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41842239.html
    poppy10
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Still an awful looking decor and so much higher than what is available nearby.

I would pay less than 100k, needs too much work to justify that price.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport