PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Options

Comments

• lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Does anyone think the OP won't be back? He/she may be reading but decide not to post anymore.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lady1964 wrote: »
    Does anyone think the OP won't be back? He/she may be reading but decide not to post anymore.

Well they seemed to feel like they were being personally attacked so it would not surprise me if they do not respond again. They will probably be reading though.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    They either pay to redecorate before and after filming, or the interiors are sets in the studio...

You'd think they'd just rent an old house for the duration of filming!
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    andrewmp wrote: »

Maybe they could have a word with the OP?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    That's exactly what they do.
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    That's exactly what they do.

The OP is clearly missing a trick here. He should be calling BBC Leeds.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    Had a similar situation with my Grandmother's home. Different area though. Was in good decorative order condition wise but it was out of date big time. It was also obvious that it was vacant possession from the photos and it did look like a deceased estate in my opinion.

It originally went on for ~£250k, lowest offer was ~£160k, sold for ~£200k.

I am afraid OP that you may have rejected one of the better offers you are likely to receive.

And I had the same situation with my Dad's bungalow. I was told it was worth 'maybe' £115-120k as it stood. No older person with the money would have touched it, so it would probably be a builder's winter project.

Instead, as I was underemployed, I decided to take it on, putting in a new kitchen & bathroom, sorting some plumbing, new doors and decorating throughout. Luckily, I could source everything via the trade.

I marketed at just shy of £150k, which was a record for the road, but lost my first buyer, who didn't like hearing the deaf old dear next door's TV. My Dad was deaf too, so it never bothered him!

The telly issue was sorted quickly with a hearing loop and the lady next door was delighted. So obvious, but it cost me 6 months extra mortgage because the house had been used to release equity. Too many posters here assume inheritors will receive whatever the house realises.

Eventually, I sold at the asking price, so it was worthwhile, but this was in rural Wilts, not Bradford, and I still felt I was taking a gamble.It was over a year, start to finish. The following year, house prices went into free fall when the Crash happened.

Without connections and the hard cash, no one should take on even a 'simple' renovation if they don't have the skills or enjoy it. I was fortunate. Today, I'd just take the money and use it elsewhere.

OP should do the same; it's time to move on.
  • Alice_Walker
    Options
    I always wondered where the BBC etc get perfectly kept period properties from for their TV shows. This looks like a lovely house from the 80s and very well kept.

There's a whole lot of money to be made from location houses, but sadly little demand up north ;)

http://jjlocations.com/locations_detail.php?l_id=3501

http://jjlocations.com/locations_detail.php?l_id=3750
  • nkkingston
    nkkingston Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The telly issue was sorted quickly with a hearing loop and the lady next door was delighted.

Lovely to solve the problem that way; everyone gets a better quality of life!
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2016 at 4:52PM
    Options
    To be fair to OP Wellstone gardens looks like a reinstated PRC to me, I still wouldn't touch it! So all those debating it is non standard construction, yep pretty certain was PRC. Possibly an Airey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure