Great 'What discounts can I get when I'm disabled' Hunt

Options

Comments

• m4rc
    m4rc Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    I am actually very annoyed at you saying this.
    I have suffered from chronic back pain and cant walk a step outside without being in agony.
    so to say that I live the life if riley is so so wrong beluve me

Sorry but you really missed what they were saying, that was NOT what they meant at all.

I'll try and explain - they were saying that people COULD PRETEND to have a bad back and get free stuff. They could have said leg instead of back, or anything else, they were not picking on people with chronic back pain. Sadly there are many people out there who fake illness or disability to get things for free - benefits, free entry, a blue badge etc. We all know this, and although some get found out too many just sail through life taking what they can but not entitled to.

I have a chronic long term health condition but don't consider myself disabled, I struggle with my mobility and am in a lot of pain, but I don't claim anything, I have disabled children though, one is autistic, non-verbal and uses a wheelchair and we have to feed him, change him and everything else, I claim everything I can for him and his older brother.

I don't like the name of the thread either, and I don't like fakers or those who claim what they shouldnt, but the poster certainly didn't offend me or my children and nobody wih a genuine health condition should have been offended either unless they were faking their condition.
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    tonmar01 wrote: »
    http://www.did-card.co.uk/index.php

has anyone got this? saw it on fb today

would a cinema accept this as they normally take the code off the cinema card to put in their system

anyone else used one of these?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Bumping for a new member.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dipsy wrote: »
    would a cinema accept this as they normally take the code off the cinema card to put in their system

anyone else used one of these?

as far as I know its only a CEA card accepted. Youd need to speakk to your local cinema.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Reel and Cineworld only accept CEA card.
  • bushy1976
    Options
    Hi I'mgoing on hols now in 2 weeks my husband is wheelchair bound and I got 2 special need children we checkingIin the day before we fly do you know where we can park it cost me £19 last year and I was there bout 35 mins thanks bushy1976 x
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bushy1976 wrote: »
    Hi I'mgoing on hols now in 2 weeks my husband is wheelchair bound and I got 2 special need children we checkingIin the day before we fly do you know where we can park it cost me £19 last year and I was there bout 35 mins thanks bushy1976 x
    Being disabled will not give you free parking at any airport. You'll be better off paying for "meet and greet" prices start at around £80 if booked well in advance. More with such short notice like yours i'm sure. When you booked your holiday did you ask for airport assistance? With this someone will meet you and take you to your departure gate. If you didn't then you may have a problem getting that at such short notice too.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    I've been to the following places and had one carer free with each disabled customer -

Edinburgh Zoo
    Highland Wildlife Park
    Five Sisters Zoo
    Chester Zoo
    London Zoo
    Kings Theatre
    Pavilion Theatre
    Many don't advertise but they all know the procedure if someone asks.

A Glasgow bus card that gets me and a carer free travel, current cost £10
  • serendipity2706
    Options
    Discovered this today if you are a Blue badge holder.
    I was quoted £172 for my RAC cover which seemed a bit expensive. I had heard of some scheme for Blue Badge holders, but could find nothing online, so I phoned to ask.
    The special 'priority' scheme offers top cover, plus key cover and other odds and ends, including Priority call out (front of queue) for the annual fee of £104- £2 a week. It may be different dependent on length of membership etc, but I thought it was a wonderful bargain. You need to quote Blue badge details, so I assume the Blue Badge holder would have to be the policy holder too.
    A simple phone call and reassurance of priority assistance - delighted:beer:
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 July 2017 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Beamish Museum, Country Durham - best open air museum in Britain I imagine

Tickets are for a year's entry as standard, there are some concessions but notably free entry for 'carer'. They'll add a staff signed "+1" to the disabled person's ticket enabling them entry for a year with any other adult.

Edinburgh Castle - similar. Some concessions but notably 'carer' free entry.
    Useful to note - you evade the ticket queues as they request you process ticket purchase for yourself and carer at the Visitor Information Centre instead of the ticket office.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure