Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AlexaG wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry, this may be a bit off-topic here, but I'm really confused about the fixed tariffs that cheap energy club is showing me.

I'm currently with SSE on a fixed tariff (dual fuel) but somehow I never pay the same amount, during the winter months it's been a lot more. So why do they call it a fixed thing? What's the difference from the variable tariffs?

The comparison calculator is showing me quite good savings if i would switch to EDF or British Gas, but how do I know that the fixed tariff shown there is going to be it? I mean, how do I know I don't end up paying a lot more than that in winter?
    In all fairness, the comparison calculator does say "approximately" this amount per month ... anyway, could someone enlighten me, please?

Many many thanks.
    A common misunderstanding with "fixed" tariffs is that people think they will pay a fixed amount regardless of their usage. Fixed means the rate - standing charge and cost per kWh of energy used - is fixed for the duration of the contract. Your predicted usage is based on the annual usage you supply the supplier when you take out the contract, possibly via a comparison site. So, if you used say 3,000kWh of electricity and 15,000kWh of gas in the last 12 months, and the new supplier is informed of that, they will estimate your annual cost on their fixed rate for that usage and set your monthly direct debit at 1/12 of that.
    That's the theory anyway. Some suppliers load the winter DD amount because you use much more energy for heating in the winter, then reduce it in summer as your usage is lower. As your actual usage varies from the predicted, that can cause changes to the DD as well.

In the end you will only pay for energy you actually use, but you can easily end up with a credit or debit balance on your account at any time. Always, always, make sure the supplier has your meter readings. If they use estimates for a number of months, you can easily end up owing them a lot of money when they eventually get a reading.

Variable tariffs means the rate charged per kWh will vary, as generation/delivery costs change. So what you pay for 100kWh of electricity now will almost certainly be different in 12 months time.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• AlexaG
    Options
    Hi Victor,

Many thanks for this, I feel like the biggest idiot for believing the fixed tariff would actually be the same amount :)))))

This makes sense, of course, so thank you for explaining everything so nicely x
  • tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I feel the same about MyTopcashback....

Me too. Don't use them anymore apart from the occassional snap & save receipt

After numerous failures byTCB to pay out, and then 3 in a row, I vowed not to use them again.

Issues with quidco? Well I've been with them the same number of years and can count the issues I've had on 2 fingers!
    1 - a deal didn't track, but it did as soon as I put a claim in, and it did eventually pay out
    2. - there was an issue over 1 deal not paying out, It wasn't a huge amount of cashback, but I put in a calim on principle. What did Quidco do? I think they paid it out of their own reserves as a goodwill gesture (and I did notice that retailer was removed and never appaered on quidco again)

Compare that to all the issues I've had with TCB. I need all my fingers and all my toes to count the TCB fails. I think everything tracks ok (so they know I used them to purchase the product), but then weeks, months, even over 12 months later, they come back, refuse to cough up, and say it's tough luck but the supplier hasn't paid them but someone else instead. When I ask who the supplier did pay, they say 'can't tell you - data protection!'
    Hmmm. How do we know TCB were not paid? Why does it take sometimes over a year of TCB saying they are chasing (but don't remind us else it will delay you even more), for TCB to finally say no cashback?
    I know I used TCB, TCB know I used TCB (as the purchase was tracked on TCB) and if the supplier is really not paying out, why are TCB still advertsing the scammer?

Best news I ever heared was when the TCB/quidco proposed merger was abandoned.
    Happy to use Quidco, but we do not use TCB any more,
  • tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry, this may be a bit off-topic here, but I'm really confused about the fixed tariffs that cheap energy club is showing me.

I'm currently with SSE on a fixed tariff (dual fuel) but somehow I never pay the same amount, during the winter months it's been a lot more. So why do they call it a fixed thing? What's the difference from the variable tariffs?

The comparison calculator is showing me quite good savings if i would switch to EDF or British Gas, but how do I know that the fixed tariff shown there is going to be it? I mean, how do I know I don't end up paying a lot more than that in winter?
    In all fairness, the comparison calculator does say "approximately" this amount per month ... anyway, could someone enlighten me, please?

Many many thanks.
    Hi Victor,

Many thanks for this, I feel like the biggest idiot for believing the fixed tariff would actually be the same amount :)))))

This makes sense, of course, so thank you for explaining everything so nicely x

Hmmm....

In your intervening post, you appear to suggest you are supplied by EDF.
    So why are you paying SSE anything??? :huh:
  • AlexaG
    Options
    Yes, sorry, I mean I've been with SSE and now I've been doing the comparison thing on here and EDF shows up as my best option for a switch out of the big 6.
    So I'm just researching everyone's experience with EDF now

My apologies for the confusion x
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been using Top Cashback for years and 99% of the time they pay out. I have made over a £1000 through them. If a pay out does not happen, it is not TCB that withhold but the merchant that operates for the company whose product you take out. It pays to check the 'What could stop payment of cashback' section just before you click through to buy the product. Sometimes it states that you will have to wait months for a pay out but in the end, it could be worth it. One of the most important things to do after trawling through search engines for the best deal and checking you can buy the product through TCB, is to remove all cookies before going through TCB. Merchants will not pay out if cookies tell them you have trawled through search engines to select your chosen supplier. I hope that makes sense as it is difficult to put into words. You may need to find out how to delete cookies for your particular PC.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Why would a merchant see my cookies ??
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Why would a merchant see my cookies ??
    Or how even?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Murielson
    Options
    Moved to British Gas via the Cheap Energy Club in Oct 2018 and rate now due to change.

However, on looking at my account on the CEC web page it still has me down as change in progress and therefore not certain what I should now do as unable to look into a new change.

Advice appreciated if anyone knows how to sort this out.
  • Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Murielson wrote: »
    Moved to British Gas via the Cheap Energy Club in Oct 2018 and rate now due to change.

However, on looking at my account on the CEC web page it still has me down as change in progress and therefore not certain what I should now do as unable to look into a new change.

Advice appreciated if anyone knows how to sort this out.

Why don't you send them an email?........

CONTACTS
    If you have any queries or concerns, you can email us at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com. Please include your full name, the email address you joined with and your postcode

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback