MSE TicketySplit app discussion

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    skipness wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the ticket split for the journey I was researching occurs part way through the 2nd leg, not at the interchange from branch to main line.
    That extra information doesn't change what I have written.
  • Reef1234
    Reef1234 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I downloaded this but it never works, just shows the loading sign constantly,but nothing ever comes. Anyone else had the same problem?
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    Reef1234 wrote: »
    I downloaded this but it never works, just shows the loading sign constantly,but nothing ever comes. Anyone else had the same problem?

Nope, you need a new phone!
  • studio_two
    studio_two Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    York station does not seem to show up.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This question may have been posted before, if so sorry!
    The first part of my journey would be from an unstaffed station. Can the conductor/guard issue split tickets?
    Yes. Ask for all the ticket(s) you need for your journey at the first opportunity.
    Unfortunately, the ticket split for the journey I was researching occurs part way through the 2nd leg, not at the interchange from branch to main line.
    That does not matter, you ask for the tickets at the first opportunity. That would normally be at your origin station if the ticket office was open, but if not, then it will be on board the train, unless the conductor is unable to sell a ticket (due to time constraints or a broken machine) in which case you buy a ticket at your interchange (if you have time) if you do not have time at your interchange, then buy on the next train.

Providing you ask for all the tickets you require at the first opportunity you are fulfilling your obligations.
    blanik wrote: »
    Delayed trains and split advanced tickets.

On the main site there is a warning that if the 1st train runs late the 2nd ticket might not be valid http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets#changetrain
    Providing sufficient interchange time has been allowed, and Condition 19 of NRCoC complied with, then it is NOT correct to say that the 2nd ticket might not be valid.
    blanik wrote: »
    However I found details posted elsewhere, supposedly from the official manual, that the 2nd ticket should be endorsed for later travel with the same company at no cost. See Q22 section 2 which includes the example "e.g. Advance ticket Bristol-Paddington plus tube single ticket, plus advance ticket Kings Cross to Hull;" http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48377&highlight=Advance+FAQs

Perhaps someone from MSE could clarify?
    I can confirm that the information on Railforums is correct. If anyone posts incorrect information there this is either promptly corrected or deleted. The Advance Fares FAQ comes from The Manual which applies to all Train Companies.

Before The Manual clarified the situation, this matter was hotly contested and debated, but I have always maintained it is valid because:

1) The National Rail Conditions of Carriage Condition 19 allows you to use two or more ticket(s) for one journey.

2) The Advance ticket conditions state that, if your train is delayed, you may take later trains to complete your journey.

In August 2010 I was made aware of a thread by zzip00 Criminal because my train was late?, I arranged to meet zzip00 and then sent a few emails, the result of which was the Unpaid Fare Notice being dropped and the guard being given a ticking off, along with a reminder being issued to all staff at that company.

The guard who incorrectly issued it has been known to cause trouble for other passengers, so much so that when someone described the problem and the attitude on the route in question, I did not need to ask for the name, "Was it X?"I'd ask, "Yes, how did you know?" would be the reply. The individual can no longer be found on board trains and has been moved to an alternative role. If a member of staff makes up rules as they go along, it needs reporting and escalating as appropriate to ensure that it does not occur again.

Despite zzip00 being absolutely in the right, several users (e.g. sassy-one) gave out incorrect information, and were even thanked for that. Staggering! If sassy-one had made the posts on Railforums they would have been deleted promptly for being incorrect.

Railway ticketing matters are complex, and I suggest ensuring information is correct before taking the advice. A lot of information that is given out is incorrect. Only accept the answer if you can be sure the person giving out the information is right and has been checked by others, as mistakes can be costly.
  • Caitlyn
    Options
    Tried this between the south coast and birmingham. Only saved 60p and returns are still cheaper.

I look forward to using the app when it includes advance and return fares, really great idea.

I tend to try and find them myself using nationalrail, but it's a game of luck that way!
  • Moneymatta
    Options
    How about season tickets?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moneymatta wrote: »
    How about season tickets?

It is unusual for splitting season tickets to be worth while and there are extra rules about validity
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/tool.php was working last week but now gives "Please select a valid departure station" on form submit.
    No mention on the website that it's down. I'm sure last time station inputs were validated.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same as above post. not working for me?:o
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure