Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2013 at 9:14PM
    Options
    fixitmjc wrote: »
    The TicketySplit mobile site has come up with an £11 saving for Swaythling to London by buying a £1.90 single to Southampton Airport Parkway (where I would change anyway) and then a £25 "RAIL-AIR SINGLE" ticket to London.

I can find no mention of this type of ticket on the Network rail site or any other ticketing site. Does anyone know if this actually exists because it sounds too good to be true?

I can't either.

But you can save something, though mainly off-peak

You might take an advance fare with Cross Country from Southampton Airport to Basingstoke for from £7, then single to Waterloo £21.20

Or Cross Country advance to Reading for £10, then ordinary single to Paddington for £17.20 off-peak

If you can put up with a longer journey, get an advance from Southampton Central to Victoria, from £5

If none of those apply as you're only travelling at peak time, split at Farnborough, especially for return trips starting early in the day.

For instance, peak time day return SWG - WAT £75.30, or peak return SWG - FNB £18.80 and FNB - WAT £28.90
  • Liglig_2
    Options
    Hi,

Tickety split is not working properly. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in Gatwick to Penzance and it did not recognize either station. Any help would be appreciated.

Liglig
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Liglig wrote: »
    Hi,

Tickety split is not working properly. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in Gatwick to Penzance and it did not recognize either station. Any help would be appreciated.

Liglig
    You asked this question yesterday and I replied:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62261081&highlight=#post62261081

Did you report the problem, as suggested?
  • mnbvcxz
    Options
    I don't get this.

I chose Edinburgh to Penzance for tomorrow at dawn and it suggests the 6.52am train to newton abbot for 33.50 which would be great. Except I can find no indication of this ticket existing or why it would exist? It seems much cheaper than anything else including advance tickets which seems unlikely.

Am I missing something? How do I find out about this ticket. Most websites suggest about 88 pounds is a more normal price to newton abbot. Are there really much cheapers tickets just by turning up in person?

I am somewhat confused
    Thanks
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    I don't get this.

I chose Edinburgh to Penzance for tomorrow at dawn and it suggests the 6.52am train to newton abbot for 33.50 which would be great. Except I can find no indication of this ticket existing or why it would exist? It seems much cheaper than anything else including advance tickets which seems unlikely.

It says it's an Advance ticket.

However according to Virgin Trains, it's not available.

In fact I wouldn't expect this ticket ever to be available at that price on that train.

It's an error with the ticketysplit app.
    Am I missing something? How do I find out about this ticket. Most websites suggest about 88 pounds is a more normal price to newton abbot. Are there really much cheapers tickets just by turning up in person?

No, not really.

Are you actually planning on making this journey?

You will want to book before midnight, otherwise you will have to pay a walk-up fare.

You can book the 08:10 to Tiverton Parkway for £56 Advance (before midnight!); this arrives 15:29 in Tiverton, where you can change onto the 16:02 to Penzance. The fare for this section is £19.40. Arrives 19:33.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thelawnet wrote: »
    Especially as the app claims only to handle walk-up fares:
    ALWAYS check advance fares first
    If you're buying the day before travel or earlier, ALWAYS check online for cheap advances first. This trial version of TicketySplit can only check walk-up fares. Even if you don't split 'em, cheap advances are likely to beat split walk-on fares.
  • mnbvcxz
    Options
    thelawnet wrote: »
    It says it's an Advance ticket.

Are you actually planning on making this journey?

You will want to book before midnight, otherwise you will have to pay a walk-up fare.

You can book the 08:10 to Tiverton Parkway for £56 Advance (before midnight!); this arrives 15:29 in Tiverton, where you can change onto the 16:02 to Penzance. The fare for this section is £19.40. Arrives 19:33.

No I'm being slightly more organized and am travelling on the 13th or 14th of october. I was going to fly but it turns out they have stopped the flights for the winter...

I'm very impressed you found the cheaper fare to tiverton parkway though. All I can see is 88 pound advance fees for tickets. How did you find it was their?

It looks like it is quoting me the cheapest advance ticket price available. Which presumably is only for one ticket realeased 90 days ahead and snapped up instantly. On some ticket websites it does say "from" thirty something pounds.

Odd that as you say the app claims not to do avance tickets but thats all it shows me? And impossible to get ones at that.

I suspect I will have to split the ticket 88 pounds to devon and then a single walk on fare onwards for the last hop. I guess the systems just can't cope with the length otherwise.

Still thanks very much for the help. It is nice to know its not just me. Any other tips welcome,

Thankyou
  • thryn76
    Options
    I just tried this app with no success. I was asking for a ticket to London from stockport, which i know there are much cheaper fares to go via stafford, but this app just came up with the standard virgin train fare, as always. Disappointed.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thryn76 wrote: »
    I just tried this app with no success. I was asking for a ticket to London from stockport, which i know there are much cheaper fares to go via stafford, but this app just came up with the standard virgin train fare, as always. Disappointed.
    You can use slower London Midland trains to Stafford Stoke or Crewe (or Stafford, if you want to pay a bit more and not get the fast trains which run non-stop through Stafford), and take an alternative operator from either of those stations to Stockport. But as they are slower, the app will not show them.

There is another website which is much better at providing splits, but I am not allowed to link to it as it's against MSE's rules.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 26 January 2014 at 12:15AM
    Options
    Just tried the app on SAL to PLY on a weekend.

Says no spilt available (standard rate £54.50), however when playing around with a spilt at Axminster/Honiton, I can get it down to £25.10 (excluding Network Card discount) + £9.80

Any advances on £26.05 for this journey from Salisbury to Plymouth on a weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure