PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Great Declutter Part 3 - 2011

Options

Comments

• charlies_mum
    Options
    Well, we spent all Christmas Eve clearing the dining room so we could actually sit to each Christmas lunch.

Must try not to let it get cluttered again. Me excuse is that I have a small business, so stock comes in and then goes out again - eventually :o

Must not let the clutter back into the dining room
    Must not let the clutter back into the dining room
    Must not let the clutter back into the dining room .....
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Tropicalmoments
    Options
    This sounds exactly what I need.

I've got 2 rooms full of clutter (in fact mostly junk) which both need to be emptied. My dd is off to Australia in February for a couple of years and my ds should be getting a place of his own early 2011 so it'll just be me and dh. We'd really like to downsize but need to get the house sorted into a sellable state.

As soon as my eldest dd and gd have gone home (Friday) then I'm going to make a start with the 'downstairs' room so will update then.

I live fairly remotely so getting to charity shops (which are few and far between here) is problematic - but there is a clothing bank locally so most of my stuff will end up there or in the skip I'm afraid. I will try and ebay as much as possible though as I could do with a few extra pennies.
  • witchwoopiggy
    Options
    hi, can i join in :) i badly need to clear space in bungalow but i am fighting agenst hubby who is a horder and cubards full of stuff , so my aims for 2011 is tidy, thin out , get rid (on the quiet lol)
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    hi, can i join in :) i badly need to clear space in bungalow but i am fighting agenst hubby who is a horder and cubards full of stuff , so my aims for 2011 is tidy, thin out , get rid (on the quiet lol)

I have that problem too. I put stuff in the bin and he rescues it :o Secret is to do it while he is out ;)
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread!

I'm in on this one, I started before but fell by the wayside before I completed.

I need to have a complete sort out all through the flat; over the next couple of days I'll be decluttering the christmas decorations, I'd like to get them into one crate + tree, instead of 2 huge crates and an assortment of boxes! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I don't think I posted on the last thread but I think I'll join in with this one.

Our place isn't bad at all really, but I do have rather alot of books which are on bookcases, but its getting to the point that I'm putting books across the top of the one which stand up. Abit of a slippery slope there.

I used to collect Agatha Christie book and being as there are alot of them around in Charity Shops etc it was rather easy to collect, and being as she wrote about 80 stories well you get the idea.

They are nice to have, but I don't re-read them and I only pick them up to dust them :D

So I've put 4 on eBay today, see how that goes.

The one good thing is I very rarly buy any books now so at least they will deminish if I sell them. :T
  • gillian62
    Options
    I have had a great sort out of books, I buy them at the charity shop, and plan to get round to reading them etc. Anyway I have now took some back or recycled some, as they were just piling up, and I couldn't find ones I really wanted to look at. i have just saved some non-fiction books that I still use.

This year I plan to:-
    Tidy and reorganise and declutter the kitchen.
    Find my craft room as the entrance has been used as a dumping site for all and sundry.
    Declutter my bedroom and throw away all the clothes I plan to fit in, when I lose weight etc.
    Hopefully, tackle the loft - the other house dumping site.

I'm looking forward to using this thread for motivation and ideas.
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Well I could do with decluttering the whole house! I've sorted out DS's bedroom today and produced 2 binbags of rubbish, 2 binbags for the CS, 1 bag for work and another bag for a friend. I've then made a start on DD's bedroom which is the bigger of the 2 and will probably take me most of tomorrow to complete. So far I've filled 3 binbags of rubbish and 3 binbags for the CS from her room. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd like 2011 to be the year I de-clutter. I'd like the rooms in my house to be used as they were intended rather than all rooms being a dumping ground!
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    Can I share a tip I was given by my MIL about OH and hoarding - she advised that I take bits and pieces every now and again and put them in a black bag at the bag of the cupboard - if OH hasnt noticed it is missing in 6 months take the whole bag straight to the charity shop. I have done this with clothes, shoes, pc games, books, computer bits and pieces.
    If I asked him if I could get rid of the stuff he would say no as he might need it. I am planning on doing it soon as he go 10 new t-shirts over xmas and his birthday so I am going to sort out the scabbiest old ones and bin them and then take the next not so tattys and hide them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure