PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Natbag wrote: »
    Well yes, you make a good point. I'm glad we got on the housing market back when house prices were probably half of what they are now. We are lucky to have gained some equity and reduced our mortgage term along the way - FTB nowadays must really struggle and I do sympathise.

My sympathy is with the simple souls who thought that their bungalow was worth about ten times what they paid, and that this was all perfectly normal, they have a massive shock coming.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    The place we offered 96% of the asking price a couple of weeks ago still hasn't sold - has been up for a month now. The agent has phoned us a couple of times asking how we're getting on. I keep telling him we're not inclined to offer any more.

The vendor did tell us they'd offered on a place the night before we viewed, which is a bit stupid considering they hadn't sold their own place (we think they'd had another offer at that point from somebody with a chain which has now got problems), they could perhaps have negotiated a lower offer on the one they want to be able to accept our offer.

Ho hum, our interest in this property is waning a little now - whilst we like it, it's not without issues.

Have just checked on RM sold prices. The house we offered on in June last year completed in July this year, for the price we offered in June last year and was rejected.

We re-viewed it just before Christmas, but didn't feel the love anymore.

Meanwhile we've just completed elsewhere in a different town.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Have just checked on RM sold prices. The house we offered on in June last year completed in July this year, for the price we offered in June last year and was rejected.

We re-viewed it just before Christmas, but didn't feel the love anymore.

Meanwhile we've just completed elsewhere in a different town.

So a years stress just to get what they were offered a year ago :rotfl: They are lucky they didn`t get less.
  • Akahotpot
    Akahotpot Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2017 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Spoke to a local EA and they convinced me to put back on the market with them
    3 viewing on the first weekend and a cash offer 3k under my asking price
    Went to the guy I am buying from and asked if he would drop his asking price 1k to get the chain moving and he agreed
    So decided bird in the bush and accepted the offer ....thanks everyone and good luck hopefully thats it for me.
    Off to the waiting to exchange post
  • chrissie83
    Options
    Just been catching up with how everyone is getting on in here.

We had a viewing on Monday night- a father & son. Both were lovely & spent ages looking round. He asked me to go round with him & asked lots of questions. As he went he thanked me & said he loved it. On Tuesday he rang the estate agent to book a second viewing for Saturday, he asked if it was ok to bring his wife & if they could be left alone with just the estate agent ( was me & the 3 kids the other day) anyone else had that?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chrissie83 wrote: »
    he asked if it was ok to bring his wife & if they could be left alone with just the estate agent ( was me & the 3 kids the other day) anyone else had that?

No, but I can understand why. You can be a lot more open about things you like/dislike/want to change etc without the owner hovering around in the background/foreground
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chrissie83 wrote: »
    he asked if it was ok to bring his wife & if they could be left alone with just the estate agent ( was me & the 3 kids the other day) anyone else had that?
    Perfectly normal.
    I think it's best if the property owner is not present at the viewing, allowing prospective buyers to discuss the property freely, without fear of offending the present owner.
  • chrissie83
    Options
    Thank you both.
    They came back yesterday & put an offer in last night 6k below asking price. We are going to see the mortgage advisor hopefully tomorrow to see if the numbers add up. This is very stressful!
    Hope everyone else is getting on ok, it's very quiet in here
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Received an offer on our house. It's less than we were hoping for on the mortgage in principle agreement, so I'm speaking to the bank tomorrow. If all goes well, we'll accept the offer and go for the official mortgage application. Ours is a cash buyer, and the guy we're buying from is buying a property that has no onward chain, so hopefully it won't be too complicated.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Accepted the offer so now we're in a 5-party chain, with a cash buyer at our bottom end and an empty property at the top end. Had to get an exception on the mortgage from the bank's underwriters as I took a sabbatical this year and haven't been in my job yet for 6 months, but the exception was agreed on Friday. Official mortgage application happening next week - looking to borrow more than the original plan so we can do some development work on the house and land, but still only about 36% LTV, so looking good. My bank manager says it all looks feasible in terms of LTV and my salary, so onwards we go. After the mortgage application is agreed, it's surveys and another visit to our new place - survey on our current house being done next week. Our buyer is a developer who buys up properties and rents them out so he's planning on gutting the place anyway. Very impressed that it only took a month or so to sell ours.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure