* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    We desperately need a new tree but I refuse to buy one at full price. I have been looking this time of year for the last few years but yet to find one :( all they had today was one that was still too much £40 even though it was half price and one for £10 which would have been ideal but it was pre-lit which I don't want as I like our own lights.

I got a new one last summer. £30 down from £120. 6 feet pre-lit. If you can wait til it's really out of season you'll get one for next to nothing. Nobody else is looking.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • Mischiefmanaged
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've been following this thread for years but only posted occasionally under my old username. Tried to log in on my new phone but as it's new I had to re enter my passwords and old email address Obviously couldn't remember the details so now after about 8 years I'm a newbie again . Anyway I'm determined to be even more organised next year

I'm not to bad, the presents are always finished early enough but everything else takes up so much time. I like to do hampers and homemade burst but always underestimate the time ever erythema takes.

Started my savings again for next year. Me and DH save £10 each every week so everything's covered. Top of the list is a new tree and all new decorations. I've had mine years and everything is starting to look tired now so I'm going to start a fresh next year.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome to the thread IAMMUMTOONE, AJGRAY and WELSHKAREN and MISCHIEFMANAGED, if you want to be organised ahead of next Christmas this is definitely the place to be.

MRSINVISIBLE hope you enjoy your evening with the grandnibs.

FREE, hope you've had a lovely relaxing day.

Well I didn't take the decs down today as DD2 arrived totally unexpectedly to take me out for a surprise. We picked DD1 up and she'd arranged somewhere to go which turned out to be a tea rooms in Cambridge. Unfortunately she'd never been to Cambridge before and I didn't know that's where we were going so couldn't warn her in time about the traffic unfriendly city centre and the pop up bollards and difficulty parking. Consequently we drove an hour to get there (DD had already been on the road for two hours coming up to me) an hour round Cambridge trying to park and then gave it up as a bad job. We were all really hungry by this time then we got a puncture and spent two hours in the dark at the side of the road waiting for the breakdown people (DD has a car that doesn't have a spare). We eventually got back to DD1's with mac Donald's then poor DD2 had to drive home and DH came to pick me up. I feel really sorry for DD2 that she planned a lovely surprise and it didn't work out. The best laid plans and all that.

Tomorrow I'm going with my sister, DD1 and the DGSs to a relaxed performance (autism friendly) of the Snow Queen at our local theatre so hopefully that will be fun for all.:D
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Started my savings again for next year. Me and DH save £10 each every week so everything's covered.

I really need to do this but I am not good with savings :o What do you keep the money in? I might get one of those tins that you need to open with a tin opener and try to not to open it till next Christmas.

Is there a Christmas saving club thread? I remember seeing something like that once.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I got a new one last summer. £30 down from £120. 6 feet pre-lit. If you can wait til it's really out of season you'll get one for next to nothing. Nobody else is looking.

Wow great buy :T Where did you get it, I have never seen Christmas trees for sale in the summer! Tomorrow I will have a look in a few more shops to see if I can find a suitable one.

If not I think I will still throw the one I have away this year as at least that will force me to do something about it next year.

Tree is still up I normally leave it until the 6th.
  • 3forholidays
    3forholidays Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 December 2016 at 12:16AM
    Options
    Welcome to the thread MischiefManaged!

ETA - perhaps joining the SPC thread might keep you on track with your saving - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5551152#topofpage
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning everyone,
    Welcome to all the newbies. It is great to see you all and we look forward to spending the year preparing for Christmas altogether.
    We had a fantastic time, we laughed so much on Christmas day as we were playing that new Speak Out game. Its hilarious.
    We have really chilled the last few days, just spent quality time together as family. Done a bit of online shopping and played some games. We off out today to a trampoline place, maybe do a bit of sale shopping and then got a hospital appt this afternoon. Managed to find homes for most of the kids toys too x I too need a new tree, I will throw this one and most of the decorations except the special ones and the ones the kids have made.
    Thank you for the new thread xxx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone looking for new trees UK CHRISTMAS WORLD.COM is having a sale. sorry can't do links.
  • mrsinvisible
    Options
    I do a savings thingy we call it 'the betting' as we bet that we wont drop out, been doing it for over 10 years, Fave Cous, DD, BF are in this year, it runs from December to November, £10 a week, pays out £500 each, and the other £20 covers Christmas and New year weeks. Thanks, Chrissy, will look into that website.
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Wow great buy :T Where did you get it, I have never seen Christmas trees for sale in the summer! Tomorrow I will have a look in a few more shops to see if I can find a suitable one.

If not I think I will still throw the one I have away this year as at least that will force me to do something about it next year.

Tree is still up I normally leave it until the 6th.

eBay. Loads up at all times of the year.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport