Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Options
    Moomin007, you shouldn't be affected at all, you will simply pay the rest of your money directly to the cruise line
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Ironically it will cost ATOL £600 million to repatriate but only £200 million to keep it afloat

But if they pay £200m, and then it fails anyway, it'll then cost them a further £600m to repatriate anyway.

That's a hell of a gamble...
  • k-hkr
    k-hkr Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have flights booked with TC airlines and stupidly paid by debit card. I realise the only way to get a refund would be via the chargeback scheme. I separately booked hotel rooms for 4 of us in Mexico with Travel Republic costing nearly 4k. What is the score with those? Would the consequential loss of that cost be covered under the chargeback scheme?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, the chargeback scheme will not help with the hotels, since the rooms are available and Travel Republic have not broken their contract. This is the danger of booking everything separately. You will have to appeal to the better nature of TR, I would assume their usual policy as stated on your documentation is 100% cancellation charges after booking?
  • couriervanman
    Options
    I hope they don't go under....but i can see them going Monday morning after having a fire sale this weekend to get as much money in as possible
  • k-hkr
    k-hkr Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    No, the chargeback scheme will not help with the hotels, since the rooms are available and Travel Republic have not broken their contract. This is the danger of booking everything separately. You will have to appeal to the better nature of TR, I would assume their usual policy as stated on your documentation is 100% cancellation charges after booking?

Actually, just realised, I only paid a deposit for hotel rooms and don't pay balance until November 2nd :j:j:j
    They won't be getting that then unless I can get altenative flights, which are sure to shoot up if TC go under.
  • James_B8
    Options
    I booked a flight and hotel through Thomas Cook at the beginning of the year but my ATOL certificate is issued in the name of Expedia Inc. my flights are with virgin Atlantic and the payment for flights was taken directly by Virgin atlantic from my credit card. The airline say they have my money and I am already “ticketed” so even if TC fail I have a seat on the flights.

The hotel is the tricky part. Thomas Cook day my booking is essentially through Expedia and they have just acted as an intermediary agent so I should be fine, Expedia refuse to speak with me even though the itinerary number supplied by Thomas Cook is an Expedia reference number - I can even get the Expedia automated phone line to accept the number and generate a new travel itinerary sent to me via email! I have also contacted the hotel directly and they say my booking with them was made by Expedia.

So I know I can fly - and I’m somewhat convinced, but not entirely sure, I’ll have a hotel to stay in - is anyone else in this weird in-between situation with expedia?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the ATOL Certificate for the flights and accommodation identifies Expedia as the operator, then they are legally liable for the whole thing. I have to admit I avoid them like the plague as their Indian call centre is beyond frustrating but if all else fails, that is who has responsibility for everything listed on the Certificate. Looking kindly at them, they may have taken the view that whilst TC is still trading they don't want to tread on their toes and want everyone to stick with their agent.....
  • James_B8
    Options
    Well wishing to avoid Expedia was a major part in my choice to book through Thomas Cook (bitter past experience of their customer services), although on this occasion their involvement might turn out to be a blessing in disguise!
  • NormalforNorfolk
    Options
    We used a Lyk prepaid card for our spending money for this year’s holiday and there is still a balance on the card which we have left on there to use on next summer’s holiday (a Thomas Cook package - so maybe not!). If TC does go under can we still access the euros on our Lyk card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure