We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,755 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely picture.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your secret garden is looking lovely, Dave. I love a frosty looking lawn as well.
    It's blowing a hooley and raining cats and dogs here today so I won't be venturing outside. We had a couple of weeks of dry, icy cold weather when everyone else was getting heavy rain so I can't really complain :o
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road :( I'm researching sound reducing fence panels etc... I don't think it would be our forever home, but it would get us on the property ladder here.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road

It's not just noise if it's a busy main road - think about air quality too. Once all cars are electric you'll be OK, but their far from that at present. Also check what new roads there may be...

We bought a terraced house on a main road, a bus route too. When we moved in (1973) it wasn't too bad. But then the International Garden Festival happened.

After the year of that was up they ran a road through the middle of the site, which connected through a (now very busy) cross road with traffic lights to a road going to our road, which became VERY busy, used as a short cut by delivery wagons etc to various supermarkets etc.

Now they're looking at building a lot of flats on parts of the site (some were built a while ago) so they're looking at turning the road into dual carriageway. The traffic will he HELL at the aforementioned traffic lights! It already is, but it'll be worse.

So beware buying on a busy road.

Good luck with the house hunting though.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road :( I'm researching sound reducing fence panels etc... I don't think it would be our forever home, but it would get us on the property ladder here.
    It's tempting to go for the ones that offer good value, which inevitably have a down-side, but there are different sorts of down-sides. One that suggests you might wish to move again in the foreseeable future should have the cost of that move factored-into the calculations you do, because moving's never cheap.

Having said that, I agreed to buy this property as a stop-gap in a period of crazy economics, when owning 'just money' seemed a bit risky. Wiemar Republic and all that. Didn't really want to be here.

And here we are, 10+ years on! :o
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a reason why the TV programme is called Location, Location, Location!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    There is a reason why the TV programme is called Location, Location, Location!
    But in the real world, it's usually:

The house you want...
    The location you want....
    The price you want....

Pick two. :(
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    house prices etc ....

around here [beaulieu and bucklers hard] in the late 70's a certain house cost £30,000
    it was in an acre of ground , 5 bedroom etc [not renovated]
    renovated same house has just sold for £2 million !!!

another set in 20 acres cost £750,000 21 years ago , renovated house,cottage, barns etc now worth £10 million !!!

a simple terrace 2/3 bed in lymington close to the centre is aprox £350k plus

absolutely no hope for first time buyers .... my son has a good job but pay is sh*te [firefighter] and he cant even get a mortgage over 200k ...

fab place to live but so over priced it is ridiculous ..

I took rose out on her cob pony today . with his Rudolph antlers on !! we went on road down to the marina , dodged the barrier garrotting us and then did the riverside walk ... ended up trotting alongside an activity area where lots of kids were hurtling through the woods armed with some sort of sonic guns having a whale of a time and pony took no notice thank goodness ... got to the end of the track only to be met by the gate now being LOCKED !! so we had to turn round and retrace our steps ... to say I was kernackered was putting it mildly ... but great fun was had .

I have just hauled 2 xmas trees out of the shed ... no mice this year ! put one in dining room and other in lounge ... not decorated as I am testing BIG DOG as to his retrieving anything that looks like a branch through the house !! so far so good but will give him a couple of days to get acclimatised !!

weather has been dry and cold here , usually between 2 and 10 degrees daytime . dam sight colder at night ! my feral cats are snuggling into their sheepskins in the summer house ...

keep safe and keep warm peeps xx
  • Davesnave
    Options
    The newly/partially-weds and I were on a Christmas tree hunt this afternoon, in the usual place, down in the valley. :)

DW's away for 3 weeks, staying with her folks, so she can sell jewellery for her old boss in the Christmas Market. The money's good and it's a radical change from the very quiet life here. Not only is it busy anyway, but she's been doing 10 years of catch-up with people she knows! :beer:

Anyway, in the absence of DW, I was charged with choosing our tree; something I've never been allowed to do before. Normally, I just trail along, carrying the ribbons with which we mark promising-looking trees. Then, we go round again, removing them till the 'perfect' tree is left. Takes at least an hour. :(

Today I applied simple logic and chose the tree in 10 minutes! :D

It's obvious: if the sales area/car park is in Place X, then remaining trees growing close to X will have been viewed and rejected by dozens of people already. Most of the good ones will have been cut and taken away.

Soooo....go as far as possible from X and there will be many more good trees, especially if they're on a steep slope.;)

So the kids had their tree cut today and ours is sporting a red ribbon + label with "Reserved for Dave" on it. I'll go back next weekend and have it cut. :)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

Today I applied simple logic and chose the tree in 10 minutes! :D

I'll go back next weekend and have it cut. :)

I returned early this morning to get the tree before the car park filled up. The van doesn't like the gravel and mud down there and I didn't want to be the numpty who got stuck.....;)

I intended to check the marked tree was still there, look around quickly to see if there was anything better and then call for the chain saw......but the chain saw arrived immediately, along with a huge clap of thunder. The guy wielding it had seen what was coming up the valley! :eek:

So, tree cut in 5 seconds, loaded on the quad trailer and we were out of there in another 10, whizzing back to the shed. It tipped down, but no more thunder & lightning.

In the shed, I explained how long it normally takes DW. The guy who cut the tree just laughed and said, "Over an hour? That's nuthin! "

He then went on to tell me about an older couple we know in the village. Husband dropped wife off and went to the bigger town 11 miles away, did the shopping, had tea and a cake then drove back again....

"And 'er still had'n made up 'er mind!"
    They'd been laughing about it ever since.
    "What was it Bert, 'bout 3 hours?"
    "Oh, easy!":rotfl::rotfl:

So, apparently, I have nothing to grumble about. I hope DW doesn't grumble; it's a very nice tree, but about 6" shorter than usual. :o

By the way, where are you all? :huh:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I woz banned again! Hangs head in shame:o

I don't think I am as enamoured with Mr B Johnson as the other chap woz. It was all a complete misunderstanding and I'm sure he doesn't have need to visit a brothel.............................that often.

Hay ho.

So wet and a bit snowy here. A fence keeled over in the ram field so that had to be fixed. The wet is just soaking the place into bog. Lucky living on a slope as we won't flood at the house.

Someone who is supposed to be helping us with some wiring and stuff is here for a few hours and then disappears for weeks - been like that for about a year. It's starting to grate me.

Scratched my eye ball the other week and ended up at A&E having been referred by a nurse - hard to see an actual Dr but all sorted now as I had been given wrong eye drops. That made me scared - I looked like I'd been kicked in the face. Felt like I'd been kicked in the face.

Seem to take all day to do the very basics. Not getting much else done but am trying to list clutter on the Bay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback