Appen Butler-Hill

Options

Comments

• wesleyad
    Options
    eleda3 wrote: »
    Can you work for Lionbridge at the same time as Appen?

I've now applied for the web search evaluator position and got an email saying, basically, 'thank you for your interest again'. Not sure if it's in response to my emails about the first position or this new one. They say they will contact me if a space comes up that matches my skills. Is this basically a rejection? I would think that if they were really considering me for a position they would want to go through the assessment first, which they haven't done. Why would I be waiting to fill a position when I haven't even taken an assessment?

No you cant work simultaneously for them both, but you can be on both their books to increase your chances (I still get emails from Lionbridge after 7 years).

Its hard to say regarding the email and assessments. Before you start a project you will be given guidelines and then take a few exams, depending on project this can be up to 20-30 hours of work. So they probably wont really bother assessing you until that point as its too much to ask.

Basically this is one of those things you just have to apply and then forget about, and maybe in a month or two you get an invitation to a project.
  • freeoffers
    freeoffers Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »

Basically this is one of those things you just have to apply and then forget about, and maybe in a month or two you get an invitation to a project.
    Exactly. Only been with them 18 months but have had a ton of work and made some good money. But you have to wait for them to contact you. Just yesterday they added another project to my profile. The procedure is the same: they offer you a project, you read the guidelines and do the test and then they tell you if you're on it.
  • edrushuk
    edrushuk Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi could anyone tell me how Appens work, especially about the voice work . I have been sent a few invites and want to know if it is worth it or is it more like survey earnings. I am trying to get my hubby involved but he think it is a lot of work for pennies. Thank you
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    edrushuk wrote: »
    Hi could anyone tell me how Appens work, especially about the voice work . I have been sent a few invites and want to know if it is worth it or is it more like survey earnings. I am trying to get my hubby involved but he think it is a lot of work for pennies. Thank you

In general there are two ways of earning, contracts with set hours and a (very generous) hourly rate or ad hoc crowdsourcing pay per task (like the voice work). I have found personally that it's not really worth the time of doing the latter, but I am sure others will disagree.

It's just they vary so much and you dont really know how fast you can complete it until you are halfway through. Sometimes they say it should take 4 hours and it takes 2, other times it takes 8.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I finally got accepted onto a project last week and missed it due to this screen showing on my login:

"Thank you for completing the required forms. Your documents have been received, and after we review them, we will finalize your registration.

A follow-up email will be sent if we notice any discrepancies in your paperwork.

Best Regards,
    The Appen team"

They said I should have been able to access the project but I couldn't, so that was rather annoying. Does anyone have any experience of how long the above takes so that I can actually view projects and processes? None of the links work whilst that is on my account, everything just routes to that page
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    I can't really help, but it's probably not great timing. They are currently in the process of combining all the leapforce (who they bought last year) and appen staff to a single new website and I think there's a ton of teething problems. You might have to wait ti out and hope that things get sorted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    I can't really help, but it's probably not great timing. They are currently in the process of combining all the leapforce (who they bought last year) and appen staff to a single new website and I think there's a ton of teething problems. You might have to wait ti out and hope that things get sorted.

Ah okay that would make sense, they are being quite slow to reply which is understandable if the above is a factor
  • jow6
    jow6 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!

Don't know if anyone can help but worth a shot! :)

I was wondering how long it takes Appen to get back to you if you apply? I applied and then was asked on the 22nd of April to login to the website and choose which kind of role I wanted. I did this and then ever since when I login it just says:

This process is currently in progress, but there is nothing for you to do at this time. If you wish to view the latest status of this process, please click "View Status".

Any assistance much appreciated!

J
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have done two projects now, one for $50 and one quick one for $5, and reading through the FAQ on Appen it says you can create draft invoices ready for the 1st of the month. However, when I go to do this no projects are in the drop down box. Since then I've read the $5 one automatically puts an invoice on for you which is fine, but there is nothing about that with the $50 and no response from Appen yet. Is it likely it will be there on the 1st to invoice?
  • corona_pln
    Options
    I've been working on a couple of projects with Appen for a while now. Just wondering if anyone could clarify how to do the tax for this income?

Had a go at the Self Assessment form online but slightly confused...given that Appen pays in USD through a foreign platform, do you put this under foreign income when filling out SA?

Thanks in advance!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure