Elderly Mum (recently widowed) now dealing with money - advice.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I echo the plea for elderly couples to share and keep each other updated on domestic information and household procedures because sooner or later one partner is going to be left alone and if that individual is the one who has no idea on finances, chaos will quickly result.

We know somebody who claimed he was "no good at finances or computer stuff" so his wife handled everything, including their domestic accounts. Most of it was done online. Sadly his wife died suddenly and this chap did ,t even know who their fuel and water suppliers were. He had no paper bills to guide him because his wife handled everything online. It was a nightmare for his adult child to try and sort out at an already difficult time.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Local news report on the inquest on a lady who died as a result of a road accident. She'd just stepped out of Iceland but unfortunately stepped in front of a moped rider. She was 90, a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother who was described as 'doing everything for her family'.

A comment from one of her descendants 'I don't know what grandad will do now, she did everything, poor grandad has never written a letter nor paid a bill in his life'.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport