MSE News: EE users suffer mobile problems: What are your rights?

Options

Comments

• jarr
    jarr Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Name me a UK mobile phone signal provider that's never had an outage and I'll compensate everyone with my own money.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jarr wrote: »
    Name me a UK mobile phone signal provider that's never had an outage and I'll compensate everyone with my own money.

Exactly. Move to the USA where you can sue someone for breathing.

Seriously, service was down for a few hours, the T+C's you signed state "we cannot guarantee a fault free service" so I cannot see what you have to grumble about?????
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On this occasion i completely agree that claiming compensation is a bit much. But how long does there need to be an outage before they will pay compensation, are there any hard and fast rules on this like there are for BT? it appears the regulator has allowed the operators free reign and it comes down to the customer to go through a long winded process to get any redress, there are numerous people with clear cut cases where aerials have been turned off or removed and yet they are refused from cancelling their contract. Companies have to make money, people need jobs but to treat customers the way they do is completely unacceptable but OFCOM appear to neither listen or care, it has to change.
  • winbox
    winbox Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I think the point here really is, they don't have an SLA because they don't think they can provide a reliable service, my partner works many hundred miles away and we're both on the same EE plan (costing over £80 a month) - we rely on these mobiles to communicate.

I've called many many times to EE about the lack of service in my area and surrounding area in the north east and isn't the first time for me I've had no service - when it's costing so much, there is an expectation for it to work, during the outage I was communicating with one of the advisors who closed the chat on me mid-conversation - I guess he wasn't interested in what I had to say.

I did claim and get compensation for this outage but, he did note that I'd called many times before about poor service quality. I think there are better networks out there for the price point and as a whole, I do wish I didn't migrate from Orange to EE.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    winbox wrote: »
    I do wish I didn't migrate from Orange to EE.

I hate to say it - but Orange IS EE !!!
  • winbox
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I hate to say it - but Orange IS EE !!!

Erm no, they actually authenticate into different systems so while they share the same masts the infrastructure behind them is slightly different which is why I believe people on an Orange or T-Mobile plan were unaffected by the outage.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Erm no, they actually authenticate into different systems so while they share the same masts the infrastructure behind them is slightly different which is why I believe people on an Orange or T-Mobile plan were unaffected by the outage.

So why am I getting EE bills now and my account is held by EE - When I joined Tmobile, 2 years ago ...??
    Also - my phone uses an EE signal.
    oh yes - I am in the UK
  • winbox
    Options
    Their billing system was probably merged but you can still take plans out on Orange or T-Mobile - Also you should notice that when you login to EE's website you're asked which network you're on - there's still a very much a level of independence between the networks and EE has expressed they have no interest currently at merging them all together.

A lot of companies do mast sharing, it's quite common these days O2 and Vodafone shares masts, Orange, T-Mobile and EE do mast sharing but you still have authenticate into different systems behind the scenes. It's just the way they're set up.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Their billing system was probably merged but you can still take plans out on Orange or T-Mobile - Also you should notice that when you login to EE's website you're asked which network you're on - there's still a very much a level of independence between the networks and EE has expressed they have no interest currently at merging them all together.

A lot of companies do mast sharing, it's quite common these days O2 and Vodafone shares masts, Orange, T-Mobile and EE do mast sharing but you still have authenticate into different systems behind the scenes. It's just the way they're set up.

EE took over Orange and Tmobile telecoms in whole - almost 2 years ago - so sorry - I fear that you are incorrect
  • winbox
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    EE took over Orange and Tmobile telecoms in whole - almost 2 years ago - so sorry - I fear that you are incorrect

I'm not going to argue with you, I don't think you quite understand how these telecomm networks run and have provided nothing to say otherwise than I am "incorrect" (feel free to provide some evidence that infact the internal systems are merged) but anyway, I'm not going to mention it anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure