ASD and Appointee

Options

Comments

• MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    Yea, a friend and his family helped me collect my stuff in the middle of January.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lots of positive progress. I know you aren't all the way there but you are having significant successes. Well done.

The social services visit will be an assessment. I am afraid there may be a wait for support after that. They may tell you how long. Just keep contacting them and reminding them you are there, waiting. Its what I did, I suspect it helped. They tried initially to give me a social worker I knew wouldn't work, but the next suggestion has worked out very well indeed. She is a bit overworked so can be quite slow, not her fault, just too big a workload.

I am not sure how you would get back the money that was paid to your mum and not handed to you. Discuss this with the social worker, she should refer you to a vulnerable adults team to help with this (they protect vulnerable people who are being abused financially/physically and emotionally).
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    well done OP, you've made huge progress from when you first posted, and sound more confident in yourself too.

Hard and as injust as it feels I'd be inclined to write off the money that went to your mum and you didn't receive. It would be a huge battle against your mum to get that back, it's more important to look forward and sort out the future rather than rectify the wrongs of the past.

Are you still living with your Nan? Things going ok there?

well done again for making the big steps you have
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    My assessment is in the morning, and I'm bricking myself. I haven't really given much thought into what I'd actually say when the time comes... I don't wish to go into every little detail, but just focus on moving forwards. I don't think that'll be an option though.

Any last minute recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated!

@w06 Yes, I'm still with my nan. She's willing to support me until Social Services are able to help me with housing options.
    My Nan and Uncle have contacted a local housing association, and they have a property available in my local area, but I need a care package from Social Services to apply. I doubt my case would be fast tracked to secure that opportunity, but we'll see how tomorrow goes.

There have been several opportunities over the last few weeks where I've been invited home to visit pets and my youngest sister. My mom treats me as if nothing happened, except for the fact I have to leave. There have been a few opportunities where I've been left alone for half hour or so, and have had a bit of a snoop (bad I know :(). I'm fairly certain I know where a large portion of my benefits were going before this all kicked off.

Oh, and I have no intentions of pursuing any money from her that I was due over the Christmas period. It would just cause further upset and destruction.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a social services assessment? Tell them everything, and be completely honest. It will make you feel bad and useless, but you're not, you just need help. Be very clear that you need help. Hopefully they'll ask questions so they find out what they need to know. If you don't understand what they're getting at, ask them to clarify.

Also be clear that living with your Nan is a temporary measure and can't carry on indefinitely. That's not being mean about your Nan or putting her down, it's just being honest.

I know it'll be hard going into every little detail, but it has to be done. Can you do something to treat yourself afterwards, even if it's just getting a sticky bun or cheap dvd or something.

It's good that you're getting to see your siblings and pets but don't let your mum suck you into going back and giving her control again.

It's really good that you're able to let go the money she owes you, and not getting dragged into lots of negative emotions and feelings about it.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for you tomorrow!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What Ames said.
    You have to be clear about your support needs because if you're not you won't get the package you need to help you move forwards. Think of it as a means to an end however difficult it feels.
    Ask any questions that you need to, and try not to gloss over things - think
    of it as short term discomfort for long term gain. The social worker should do their best to put you at ease, but if you need them to adjust their communication style, then it's ok to tell them what will help you to explain things the best.
    You'll be fine - you've got this far, so have faith in yourself.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    To say things went well would be an understatement!

Two social workers came from a disability team, took a bunch of information and gave information about what's available. Apparently I should be getting low mobility part of PIP, will be able to claim SDP, get a free bus pass, access to things I didn't know about, and some other stuff I can't recall right now.

The property I mentioned in my previous post is known to them, and apparently it's a shared property which I wouldn't like. There's some newly converted flats that's in the city centre which is within walking distance of my dentist, doctors, and a supermarket. On paper it would be a great opportunity, but I'd prefer to remain in my local area.

They're going to contact local agencies within my current area to see if there is anything else available at this time.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, you've made heaps of progress, good to hear that support and access to it is falling into place for you
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, I'm really pleased it went well. Don't discount the city centre flats though, getting somewhere close to everything you need is really difficult. And if it's the city centre you'll be close to buses which will make it easy for people to visit you.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    I've been meaning to post an update, but its taken a while to pull my figure out and actually do so (lol).

Anyway, I'm currently working with someone from the local enablement team who comes to visit me once a week (trying to boost that up to twice to speed up things), to help establish what areas I'll need to be supported in, and how that translates to what kind of/how much support I'll require in Supported/Independent Living (whatever they want to call it).

They also took me to visit 4 available (independent/supported living) flats in the city centre that I mentioned previously. There is 1that I really liked, 1 that mirrored the one I liked, 1 was unsuitable, and 1 that was laid out poorly. I'm hoping I can get in there if things progess quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure