ASD and Appointee

Options

Comments

• nicetomeetyou
    Options
    Have social services made any plans about helping you with support yet?

I know when social services become involved with me somebody reported me to them and they came around my bungalow and did a assessment but criteria was much easier to obtain back in 2010. I know with funding cuts the criteria has changed plus within the learning disability team I'm under it's a more consistent level of support because some services if only sort-term support.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    My friend tried to contact my mom to organise collecting my belongings, but she ended up blocking contact with him.
    I'm trying to organise it myself through my sister, but my mom is insistent on going through social services.

Social services haven't offered any support as of yet; they just keep saying it's a waiting game. Hopefully getting a referral from my GP will help things next week.
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    Apparently my things will be boxed up and delivered to me. I'm a bit concerned as I have a few expensive items I don't believe my family would take financial responsibility for if damaged or broken.

Other than that, I don't have anything to update about, except that I've got the flu.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    That might be the least unpleasant way of getting your things back, it might be that you have to end up accepting that you won't get them all back, hopefully your Mum will do the decent thing though.

Sorry to hear you've the flu, keep warm and make sure to drink plenty of fluids (water, pop, squash type things).

This is going to take a while to sort out and get yourself back on track, but it will be worth it, keep pottering on OP, you'll get there
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    My doctors appointment is tomorrow morning. What kind of information do I need to give them?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    My doctors appointment is tomorrow morning. What kind of information do I need to give them?

Just give them a quick explanation of what's happened. That you've had to move to your grandma's because of financial abuse from your mum. Tell them what your mum's been doing. Explain that you've tried to contact social services but they're being slow. Tell the GP that you have no access to money until social services and the DWP sort out another appointee for you, and that you can't keep living at your grandmas and so you're homeless. Ask the GP if they can refer you to social services and if there are any other organisations that can help to support you.

Your GP will ask any questions they need to.

Are you going on your own or will you have someone there with you? If you're alone, ask your GP to write down the main points of anything that's been decided, so you don't forget.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • w06
    Options
    As Ames says explain how things have been and are now, and that you're struggling to access support services and wondered if they had any way of helping with that. That you're feeling lost as to what to do next because of how you've been treated by your Mum.

Make sure they know how bad it has been and for how long.

It may be that they can't directly do anything to help you, but they might be able to help you to access the right help via other people.

I hope that they're able to help you find the right support
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    My doctor is going to put in a referral to social services. She also advised I book an appointment with someone who visits the doctors surgery once a month for social responsibility or something like that.

We also received a call from social services this morning. Not a lot was said, but we have been given a phone number for an advocacy service.
  • w06
    Options
    Well done, that's another step to getting things sorted, keep going you'll get there
  • MyLonelyWorld
    Options
    ESA has successfully been transferred into my name and bank account. Expecting a one off payment later today or tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure