The Work Programme New Thread

Options

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    The Work Programme is the same as the YTS??

My contribution to this debate :

tis UC that has [STRIKE][workfare][/STRIKE] fully fledged mandatory work activity, see UC Conditionality and sanctions.

a.   Full conditionality. This will be the default option for recipients including lone parents and couples with older children. Recipients in this group will be subject to the same requirements to actively seek work and to be available for work as they would under Jobseeker’s Allowance.

b.   Work preparation. Recipients will be in his group if they are disabled or have a health condition which means they have limited capability for work at the current time. They will be expected to take reasonable steps to prepare for work.

c.   Keeping in touch with the labour market. Recipients will be in this group if they are a lone parent or lead carer in a couple with a child over one but below age five. They will be expected to attend periodic interviews to discuss their plans for returning to the labour market.

d.  No conditionality. Recipients will be in this group if they are: 

- disabled or have a serious health condition which prevents them working and preparing for work 
    - a lone parent or lead carer in a couple with a child younger than one
    - or have intensive and regular caring responsibilities. 

People receiving Universal Credit but earning above the relevant threshold would also not be subject to conditionality.

NOTE : To save MSE'ers asking which parent of the two will have to work and which one will not. Conditionality is applied to them as an individual, they will have themselves to decide and nominate which one is the lead carer.

The half fledged [STRIKE][workfare][/STRIKE] mandatory work activity already exists and came into effect 56 weeks ago with the JSA Regulations 2011 the conditions and sanctions are here.

It used to be 'work-related activity component' now its activities, such as training or condition management programme's which is the new name for YTS / ETC of the Thatcher era, and as was the case then [see rogerblack] they can now be asked to undertake work based training [placements and schemes] activities leading to NVQ's many of which will be delivered by that prime friend of the CONdems called G4S.

- Assessment phase lasts 13 weeks, main phase starts week14
    - two different groups, WRAG and Support Group
    - WRAG[/U - 23% - get extra money over the basic rate for completing their work-related activity component
    - Support group - 9% - get even more extra money over the basic rate for support, voluntary work is allowed, but not required
    - 68% are found capable of work

Here's the handbook for those who want it

Personal thoughts .........................

[STRIKE]Workfare[/STRIKE] ' - the mandatory [forcing unpaid work on people] work activity ' does exist, is costing the state and we taxpayers £5 billion, yet they have never created a single job, they simply replace paid work. Once again the main player as above is the CONdems friend G4S. Here this magnificent Tory flagship company failed to even manage its minimum 5.5% target, and continues to scream loudly for more punishment for its young 'trainees' along with requests to Government to stop benefits altogether for trainees who do not do as they are told.

Can you remember the recent Jubilee fiasco with young people sleeping under bridges in London and even they were working FOC with no wages, or the protests that cased Holland & Barrett is to withdraw from the workfare program, and you will notice that a year after Poundland started [STRIKE]workfare[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]exploiting[/STRIKE] 'training' young people their annual profits juped by 27% to £40+ billion ? .. .. .. I did.

I mentioned ET & YTS above, here as was the case in the early 80's Government hides the true youth unemployment figures It moves long term unemployed young claimants from JSA to 'workfare' some time later 97%ish return to the unemployed register but they are now classed as non-long term employed. That way government lose 500,000 long term unemployed people from the register altogether for a year, and when the invisibility component of workfare wears off after a year they reappear as non-long term, thats Paul Daniels statistical massaging at his best.

YTS & ET in the 80's worked to the extent that the Thatcher derived judgment was based on an honest moral intent of getting 20% into full time self sustaining properly paid employment within 52 weeks. The first 26 weeks was fully funded certificated training designed into the program and funded by the taxpayer with the next 26 weeks training costs underwritten by the employer. The final outcome was nearer 30% achieving the desired outcome in the better run schemes, this was in large part because the motivation was to get people jobs & training.

The current JSA & proposed UC intentions however are it seems to me quite different. It's based on the old 'work pays' theory [STRIKE][albert macht frei][/STRIKE] that's buried deep in the DNA of the Tories, but unlike the 80's when they introduced it - its just not funded this time, there is no money for proper training, there is no money to pump prime employers into taking responsibility for training people who have significant help needs. There are no controls over how people are treated, so the barriers to employment remain now in the JSA market, and those same barriers will be evident in the even more draconian UC market.

Added Sun 22nd July 2012 - the current half fledged [STRIKE][workfare][/STRIKE] model is run by Prime providers & Prime Contractors. The problem with this so called Chris graying PBR system is that it can be misused. I'm not for one minute suggesting that The Prime Provider keeps most of the 'start fee per attatchment' but if they did the Prime Provider can palm off almost all of the work to the Prime Contractor and keep about 50% of the £££ for doing very little other than a referral their in~house Placement Officer.

63,390 X £400 = £25,356,000 (£25.3 million) Prime providers - ~ so ~ 63,390 X £150 = £9,508,500 (£9.5 million) to subcontractors ~ so ~ Prime provider nets £15,847,500

Thus prime providers can simply pocket cash from the attachments fees by referring them on to sub contractors who do all the work and run at a loss - hence they are leaving in droves. - here are the Prime Providers :

Ingeus (Seven contracts £727 m)
    A4E (Five contracts worth £438 m)
    Working Links (Three contracts worth £308 m)
    Seetec (Three contracts worth £221m)
    Avanta (Three contracts worth £267m)
    G4S
    Newc College Group
    Rehab Jobfit
    Serco Ltd
    Careers Development Group
    EOS - Works LTD
    Business Employment Services
    Pertempts
    Reed in Partnership
    ESG
    Prospect Services Ltd
    JHP Group LTD

SHAME : that Sir john's company JHP which was one of the highest scoring [permanent sustaining full time job offer] of the 80-90's is involved in this fiasco.

- the Prime Contactors are :

Far too many to mention but include Poundland / Holland & Barrett and many others.

But hey ! .. .. the money flows from the taxpayer via the treasury to the G4S's and Poundland's of this world to provide them with an increase in profits .. .. so that's alright then .. ..

- the new Jobseeker’s Allowance [Sanctions][Amendment Regulations 2012 coming into effect October this year
    - says :

JSA participants

31. Sanction action can be taken by the LM DM against JSA participants so that their benefit may be reduced or not paid if, without good reason, they fail to participate in the Work Program.

and

32. JSA benefit sanctions are applied for specific periods, which may follow on from each other if a participant fails to participate in a mandated activity more than once. The sanction periods are:

• 2 weeks – first sanction (cannot be reviewed)
    • 4 weeks – second sanction (cannot be reviewed)
    • 26 weeks – third sanction (can be reviewed)

- that my friends is [STRIKE]workfare[/STRIKE] by any name you call it !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • MissSarah1972
    MissSarah1972 Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2012 at 12:52AM
    Options
    Richie-from-the-Bro I wont quote you as it's far too big a post to but seriously what are you on about????

You said the Work Programme was bought out by Maggie when it was the YTS but do you have any idea what the work programme really is? Are you on it?

I have a friend on it and like many others on this thread he is not 'working' on some kind of welfare thing.
  • Who?_me?
    Options
    The YTS was the equivalent of the Modern Apprenticeships, nothing to do with the WP.

My WP person told me yesterday that I would now be getting fornightly calls from the admin lad, as she was too busy. Her case load was too high for them to managed to do fornightly calls. She also told me of a job that was going, but the company was terrible to work for, so not to bother......
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    Richie-from-the-Bro I wont quote you as it's far too big a post to but seriously what are you on about????

You said the Work Programme was bought out by Maggie when it was the YTS but do you have any idea what the work programme really is? Are you on it?

I have a friend on it and like many others on this thread he is not 'working' on some kind of welfare thing.

Basically speaking the work programme is like jobclub but without having to go in 3 times per week to look at newspapers and searching for work. It isn't like YTS as you have said atleast YTS gave you skills at the end of the training.
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lori64 wrote: »
    Have any of you been on the work programme from the very start? I have, and was wondering what happens when you are into your 2nd year with them?
    Is it pretty much more of the same old, same old?
    Im on a waiting list for a college course which i hoped would give me an escape from all this crap, but nobody has dropped out of the course so far, so just wondered if being sent on some workfare thing would be next for me.
    I'm into my second year and it just seems like more of the same old, same old. As I mentioned in another thread I'm with a provider who seems to see you less and less the longer you're with them.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Midnighter wrote: »
    I'm with a provider who seems to see you less and less the longer you're with them.
    with mine it seems to depend on either them seeing you as an easy target or them wanting to annoy you. mine has told me i have to be there once a fortnight but i know someone else who hardly ever has to go there.
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mine's like that. They're supposed to see me once a fortnight but they actually only seem to see me once a month. They say they'll email or ring on the other week they're supposed to see me but never actually do.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • Adarn
    Options
    I think the long-term intentions of the Universal jobmatch website and their consequences is very worrying.

The Conservatives seem to view the causes of unemployment as a lack of hard work and entrepreneurship, which as many of us on this website know doesn't reflect reality and shows how out touch the Conservatives are.

The 35 hour work search requirement stems from this Conservative view.

To manually, I.e. employ staff to check someone's work search activity would be impossibly expensive to implement. A computerised system means that checking someone’s work search activity can be done automatically and therefore cost-effectively.

Unemployed for under 6 months? Get mandated to apply for 5 jobs per week via the universal jobmatch website. Unemployment for over 6 months? Well you're obviously not looking for work hard enough, get mandated to apply for 20 per week...

Apply for only 19? Well you have failed to meet your mandated obligations, under a computerised system it could be set up to trigger a sanction without any human intervention.

Mandated to do 21 hours a week work fare or are employed part time on a 21 hour per week job and receiving universal credit? Well under the 35 hour week rule, that still leaves you with 14 hours per week to search for work. A computerised system would be able to track how long you've been online searching the universal jobmatch website, and again issue a sanction if you fail to meet that requirement.

I really hope my take on this is wrong as I think this does nothing to address the shortage of employment and forcing people to do this kind of thing during a period of high unemployment will lead to an explosion in mental health issues and suicides.

As for lack of computer access... well the Government will address that, the cheap social tariff for internet that IDS mentioned the other day would be one way and my local jobcentre has recently introduced new computers for unemployed people to use.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Midnighter wrote: »
    Mine's like that. They're supposed to see me once a fortnight but they actually only seem to see me once a month. They say they'll email or ring on the other week they're supposed to see me but never actually do.
    the less you see them the better it is because they're nothing more than a pain in the a**e.
    if they do what you mention that is particularly annoying. they say they will phone on a certain day and if you dont answer you can be sanctioned. so you end up staying in all day and then they dont even phone. which of course for me makes me worry they are upto no good so i always phone them.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Adarn wrote: »

my local jobcentre has recently introduced new computers for unemployed people to use.
    enough for every unemployed person in the area to do 35 hours per week? people will wreck them. what if the net is down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure