We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    We lost one of our old ex batts in the night. She went to hen heaven in her sleep which is the best way for her, bless her.

Its been rather quiet on here lately I do hope that everyone is ok and their hens too.

Just off to change my signature "again" :(

Edwink

Sorry about your old'un.

As you say, that's the best way to go. Shock for you, though. But yes, you gave her a good life.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    So sorry Edwink :( She would have had a great retirement with you though.
    We are getting lots more eggs now! How about everyone else?

Thank you so much Beckyy :)

We are getting anything from 1 to 3 a day at the moment. That's not bad actually because all mine are old ex batts except for my 6 year old Bluebell hen.
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Sorry about your old'un.
    As you say, that's the best way to go. Shock for you, though. But yes, you gave her a good life.

Thank you so much Pyxis :)

I always pride myself on giving them a good life Pyxis. I wouldn't have it any other way for them. Their house is actually cleaner than mine :o. Plus they get a fresh bed every night I don't :)

I do love them so much. They really are a huge part of my life. And to think I was terrified of ALL birds over 10 years ago :o.

Edwink x x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    Options

I do love them so much. They really are a huge part of my life. And to think I was terrified of ALL birds over 10 years ago :o.

Edwink x x

wow! I didn't know that!

However did you manage with your first hens, then?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• edwink
    edited 13 February 2018 at 11:39AM
    Options

Edwink x x
    wow! I didn't know that!
    However did you manage with your first hens, then?

It's true Pyxis seriously I was terrified.

Over the years when I was growing up I became unhappy about anything that flapped its wings as was my mother. My mother was locked in a Chicken coop by some bullies at her school and her fear of birds started shortly after that. Where mine came from I don't know although saying that it could of rubbed off my mother, I don't really know.

I remember once a little Blue Tit flew through our bedroom window whilst I was in there tidying up. I shot out of the bedroom when I saw the little thing sit on the window sill and shut the door firmly behind me. I left the door shut all day until my husband finished work at around 10pm. I wouldn't go in there until he had searched in every nook and cranny and that included the wardrobe etc. I was petrified of the little thing.

Some time later I was doing some gardening with my mother and had the French doors open to my cottage and a bird flew straight in through the kitchen doors. That was it I was panicking but even though my mother was also scared bless her she put on a brave face for me and ran in and opened all the windows so the little thing could fly out.

Another time I went to my brothers with my mother. My brother kept hens in a coop at the bottom of his garden and we were talking about our fear of birds and my SIL said come in to the coop with me both of you. Long story short we did go in there but you should have seen us all with my SIL in the front, my mother holding on to the back of my SIL's jumper and me at the back holding on to the back of my mothers jumper. We were all in and out within a few minutes and my heart was pounding it was blooming frightening for both my mother and I but we did it.

Fast forward 5 years and hubby and I decided together (mainly me actually) we would like to go down the route of growing our own veg, generate our own electric and wait for it KEEP HENS :eek: I knew then if we were to keep hens I had to finally get rid of my fear of birds. We moved house, built a chicken coop and duck run so all that was left was for us to get some hens and ducks. First came 2 ducks and I would walk round the garden with them but if they flapped their wings I'd leg it down the garden back in to the house. Finally we decided to get some hens so I arranged with Little Hen Rescue to rehome 12 ex battery hens from them. How did I loose the fear??? When we went to collect them we saw over 200 poor little very bald frightened little hens in a stable all together. I told the lady I was scared of them but my husband wasn't and we had some experience with my brother and his hens. She told her husband to go in to the stable and pass 12 of them out over the stable doors to her. Then I said wait I want to go in to the stable as well. She asked me if I was sure and I said yep got to do it some time. So in I went with all these little hens squawking, chirping and moving around my legs not to mention the flapping that was going on in there . I was shaking like a blooming leaf and I was saying to the ladies husband "I'll have that one please" whilst pointing. And this went on until 12 hens were in the back of our car. We got home and there was a little present waiting for us when we opened the car door to get them out. Our first ever egg was laid on the journey back home to our house. My husband collected one hen in each arm and carried them up the garden path so I just picked one up (only one) and carried that little hen through to our back garden and put her on the lawn. I couldn't believe how soft and cuddly she was so I sat with them when they were all on the lawn getting to know them all with strokes and cuddles for each and every one of them.

Sorry the story is so long but there was no use only explaining half of it was there?. ;)

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Well, that's just brilliant!

And good on you for conquering the fear!

Are you ok with all other birds now?

I used to train garden birds to fly to my hand for live mealworms, and it was a very rewarding experience.
    They only alighted on my hand for the briefest of seconds, and I was always amazed at how very light they were!

I must start doing that again, as it is lovely! Robins were easy, but I also trained a starling.

I did rescue a damaged sparrow once, and nursed it for 6 weeks (with vet advice) in a hamster cage before taking it to a bird rescue place. That was good, too!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    Options
    Well, that's just brilliant! And good on you for conquering the fear!

Are you ok with all other birds now?

I used to train garden birds to fly to my hand for live mealworms, and it was a very rewarding experience.
    They only alighted on my hand for the briefest of seconds, and I was always amazed at how very light they were!
    I must start doing that again, as it is lovely! Robins were easy, but I also trained a starling.
    I did rescue a damaged sparrow once, and nursed it for 6 weeks (with vet advice) in a hamster cage before taking it to a bird rescue place. That was good, too!

Thank you Pyxis

Yes am sort of ok with other birds. I say sort of because I have never handled one, well not yet anyway:D. I am not surprised that they are lightweights because you would be surprised how light some hens actually are whereas some are real fatties and weigh a blooming ton.

How nice of you to train the birds to come to you for mealworms. I very nearly encouraged our robin to come to me but she stopped and landed about 2ft from me and just sat there looking at me. I always give her a little something to eat every morning so she is used to me by now.

Well done for looking after the Sparrow and nursing it back to health.

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Thank you Pyxis

Yes am sort of ok with other birds. I say sort of because I have never handled one, well not yet anyway:D. I am not surprised that they are lightweights because you would be surprised how light some hens actually are whereas some are real fatties and weigh a blooming ton.

How nice of you to train the birds to come to you for mealworms. I very nearly encouraged our robin to come to me but she stopped and landed about 2ft from me and just sat there looking at me. I always give her a little something to eat every morning so she is used to me by now.

Well done for looking after the Sparrow and nursing it back to health.

Edwink

I used to sit at a garden table, and place a couple of mealworms at the other end of the table, and keep very still while the bird came and took it.

Then I'd gradually place the worms nearer and nearer to me, putting my upturned empty hand on the table too. Gradually the worms would be placed nearer and nearer to my hand, and finally, when the bird was happy, I'd put the mealworms on my hand, with my hand still on the table.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird....you have to keep very still indeed.

When the bird was happy with taking worms from my hand on the table, I'd let my hand hover over the table, at increasing heights.

That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird, too.

Eventually, I'd stand up with my hand over the table, and finally I could stand anywhere with an outstretched hand.

It took a few days. You need lots of free time! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    Options
    I used to sit at a garden table, and place a couple of mealworms at the other end of the table, and keep very still while the bird came and took it.
    Then I'd gradually place the worms nearer and nearer to me, putting my upturned empty hand on the table too. Gradually the worms would be placed nearer and nearer to my hand, and finally, when the bird was happy, I'd put the mealworms on my hand, with my hand still on the table.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird....you have to keep very still indeed.
    When the bird was happy with taking worms from my hand on the table, I'd let my hand hover over the table, at increasing heights.
    That was a bit nerve-racking for the bird, too.
    Eventually, I'd stand up with my hand over the table, and finally I could stand anywhere with an outstretched hand.
    It took a few days. You need lots of free time! :rotfl:

Right that's me set for trying that then. I won't be able to do it for a little while because busy at home at the minute decluttering my art/sewing/card making/eBaying/puzzle making room as I am doing the 2018 decluttering challenge here on MSE. I have turned the room inside out over the past month and now putting it all back tidy and clutter free ha ha ha. And yes the decluttering is going really well with lots of bits and bobs going to the local hospice charity shop :)

Thanks for the tips Pyxis. If I can find it I'll post a pic of me holding my speckled hen when she was poorly. She is sitting on my lap looking out of the door that leads to our garden. Bless her. She is no longer with me now but oh did I love that special little girl.

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Right that's me set for trying that then. I won't be able to do it for a little while because busy at home at the minute decluttering my art/sewing/card making/eBaying/puzzle making room as I am doing the 2018 decluttering challenge here on MSE. I have turned the room inside out over the past month and now putting it all back tidy and clutter free ha ha ha. And yes the decluttering is going really well with lots of bits and bobs going to the local hospice charity shop :)

Thanks for the tips Pyxis. If I can find it I'll post a pic of me holding my speckled hen when she was poorly. She is sitting on my lap looking out of the door that leads to our garden. Bless her. She is no longer with me now but oh did I love that special little girl.

Edwink

:A :A :A

Another tip re feeding birds.
    The mealworms have to be live ones.
    I did try the freeze-dried ones when the birds were fully trained, but they turned tail and wouldn't take them, and seed just got a look of disgust.:D

I don't know if you give your hens live mealworms, but if not, you can keep them in the fridge for a while, otherwise they start turning into pupae.

If they are on your hand too long, they warm up and get rather mobile! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    Options
    :A :A :A

Another tip re feeding birds.
    The mealworms have to be live ones.
    I did try the freeze-dried ones when the birds were fully trained, but they turned tail and wouldn't take them, and seed just got a look of disgust.:D
    If they are on your hand too long, they warm up and get rather mobile! :rotfl:

OMG Pyxis do they really need to be live ones? We give dried ones to our hens and ducks as a treat from time to time so I can handle those ok but LIVE ones I am not sure. Its just the crawling about thing I am not keen on :rotfl: especially with them warming up in my hand too :o

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback