PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    ...... "spiced chicken and lentils" from the Delia one. (I couldn't find the Jocasta one online to share but here's a link to the Delia one https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-recipes/spiced-chicken-with-lentils). In both cases I'll halve the recipe.
    I'll report back.
    I made the above last night as planned. I halved the recipe using 750g chicken thighs (4 thighs). I used brown lentils. I served it with pitta and mango chutney.
    The finished dish was really tasty but I would have liked more lentils. I have three thighs LO but only just enough lentil mix for two small portions.
    The chicken was cooked before the lentils so I ended up having to remove the chicken and finishing the lentils on the hob to avoid overcooking the chicken.
    Would I make it again? Yes, though I would stick with the quantity of chicken I used but cook the full amount of the rest of the recipe. I'd also partially cook the lentils on the hob before adding the chicken back in and baking it.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for that caronc its really useful to get feedback for oneski portions.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Thanks for that caronc its really useful to get feedback for oneski portions.

It's also nice to get feedback on how the dish turned out and potential changes. :)
  • Nelski
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It's also nice to get feedback on how the dish turned out and potential changes. :)

Agree Pollycat :) nice to see you btw I read earlier on another thread that you were not well so hope you feel better soon. :)
  • Nelski
    Options
    Making this tonight which is very new to me sweet potato and black bean burgers

Im hoping they will be very good as it took 3 supermarkets to find black beans clearly not a popular ingredient round here

After this its head back in the cook books for more inspiration
  • caronc
    Options
    Oh they sound good Nelski:)
  • Nelski
    Options
    Making this tonight which is very new to me sweet potato and black bean burgers

Well just finished dinner and I can easily give them 9/10

I am quite a hardened carnivore but I would choose these for a change from beef burgers any day.
    I thought they may be a bit dry when they came out the oven but not at all

Next time, and there will be one, I will follow the recommendation to make 8 ....I made 6 and they are very filling.

I used quinoa not millet but followed everything else to the letter. The one point loss was the fact it was in cups and oz not grammes so had to work all that out first but its done for next time and the fact I have 5 to go in a packed freezer but thats the norm for me.
  • caronc
    Options
    Well just finished dinner and I can easily give them 9/10

I am quite a hardened carnivore but I would choose these for a change from beef burgers any day.
    I thought they may be a bit dry when they came out the oven but not at all

Next time, and there will be one, I will follow the recommendation to make 8 ....I made 6 and they are very filling.

I used quinoa not millet but followed everything else to the letter. The one point loss was the fact it was in cups and oz not grammes so had to work all that out first but its done for next time and the fact I have 5 to go in a packed freezer but thats the norm for me.
    Thanks for the feedback - despite being another carnivore I do like a good veggie burger and my nephew's gf is pesce so I'm always looking for ideas for gatherings that don't end up being a piece of salmon or something with mushrooms :rotfl:. I suspect they might also work well turned into balls with toms sauce/pasta or in a sub sandwich. Might also get me over my quinoa aversion:cool:
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Had a couple of new meals recently, chicken with tomato and mascarpone sauce and cheese melted. Today had a sw cauliflower, gammon and macaroni cheese, was ok but wouldn't rush to make it again.
    I'm planning on making a sw chicken tikka masala tomorrow, so hopefully that turns out well.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I meant to make the peppers stuffed with cauliflower rice from Tom Kerridge's cook book. Instead I made a dish that had all of the main ingredients (peppers, cauliflower rice, tomatoe puree, mozzarella) but I went renegade and made it myself without following the recipe or even looking at it (not sure why).

I liked it and it was perfectly edible but OH said the peppers weren't roasted enough, the cauliflower rice was bland, the tomato puree was weird, but the cheese was nice.

I think next time I will follow the recipe, I am sure the recipe is nice.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family