PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    What labels should I covet for teenage boys?

I have been buying Quicksilver, o'Neill and Hollister are there any others?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Jack Wills
    Superdry
    Abercrombie & Fitch
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Had an expensive trip to the dentist this afternoon and whist in town decided to drop off some stuff at my fave cheap chazzer , had a little look around and got myself some Fat face Damson coloured trousers in extra long exactly what i wanted £1,25 !!! needed these to go with a top for the wedding i went to a couple of weeks ago but couldnt find any in purple , drinks at the wedding only cost me £2 for a tonic water used a few of your suggestions ;);)
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Feeling a bit cross. Nipped into the cheapest of the charity shops in the next town and found that new-in stuff has all got more expensive!! Usually things like tops are £2-£3 - and some of the stuff was that price (some of it i recognised from a previous foray) but other tops were £5-£6!!!! I wonder if they have a new manager. The more expensive shop had some blouses at £8!! They were from Coast, so a nice brand, but it seems a bit steep to me. They do reduce stuff sometimes, though, so maybe if i go back in a week I may be in luck! I'm not sure they will get that sort of money for the stuff.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    2childmum wrote: »
    Feeling a bit cross. Nipped into the cheapest of the charity shops in the next town and found that new-in stuff has all got more expensive!! Usually things like tops are £2-£3 - and some of the stuff was that price (some of it i recognised from a previous foray) but other tops were £5-£6!!!! I wonder if they have a new manager. The more expensive shop had some blouses at £8!! They were from Coast, so a nice brand, but it seems a bit steep to me. They do reduce stuff sometimes, though, so maybe if i go back in a week I may be in luck! I'm not sure they will get that sort of money for the stuff.

They don't do themselves any favours when they overprice things. People go out to treat themselves to a bargain for a couple of quid, not half the week's housekeeping money. Most folk will just walk away if they have to break a tenner for a second hand top.

Another good foray to Ormskirk today, despite the pouring rain - well I just had to keep finding shelter didn't I? ;) Age UK have a basket of assorted tops, that have been on sale before for £1-£2, but if they don't sell they get chucked in there and sold for 50p or 3 for £1. A good rummage eventually produced three nice tops, all lightweight which I am always after for travelling packing.

I also found a pair of Per Una jeans in the Salvation Army shop on the £1 sale rail, which don't appear to have had much, if any, wear.

Yesterday I found a lovely printed canvas Clarks cross-body bag for £2 in Southport, and a small backpack for £1.99 in Formby, so I am kitted out for a weekend away for £6 :T . Well except for shoes, but we can't have everything :rotfl: .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bit of an extravagant splurge today in the community charity shop...someone had donated loads of Wallis and Monsoon summer dresses :o Got myself a Wallis aztec patterned maxi dress in orange, yellow, brown & turquoise with some discrete twinkly beading on the front of the sleeveless V necked bodice. Priced at £6 and looks great on....especially pleased cos Wallis have bothered to centre the pattern and match up the sides perfectly, (a particular bugbear of mine), so well done Wallis!! :T
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Originally Posted by 2childmum View Post

Well that has been the norm around 'ere. Cannot believe the prices old stylers quote usually. I thought it was inverted snobbery.

Chazzas to make more money can charge the same as ebay because that is the price stuff goes for, with or without the postage.

Their aim is to make as much as possible for the charity.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Well that has been the norm around 'ere. Cannot believe the prices old stylers quote usually. I thought it was inverted snobbery.
    Perhaps it is. I personally find stuff a lot more thrilling to buy and valuable to own knowing I have found it for a silly price. I generally give the chazzers with pricing delusions a miss.

Buying cheaply neither stops me from donating goods nor money to my favourite charities.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Perhaps it is. I personally find stuff a lot more thrilling to buy and valuable to own knowing I have found it for a silly price. ... <big snip>

Ha yes. The modern day and animal friendly equivalent to the thrill of the chase.
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    DH is fitting a new worktop and sanding the others today, so took advantage and went for a good browse ;) I had a good session - 4 shops and £23.50 spent on a blue spotted gathered jersey Phase Eight dress, a BNWT Boden tweedy shift dress, rusty-colour Kaliko wide-leg linen trousers, White Stuff top, pink linen M&S shirt, a Zara batwing cardi, Zara printed linen tunic, an Autograph grey cashmere sweater and a Tu broderie anglais tunic/ cover-up. Well chuffed with that lot :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills