Accommodation not as advertised

Options

Comments

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 August 2019 at 5:40PM
    Options
    If you had the same number of rooms, beds and facilities then I don't think you have much hope of getting much back.

How can you have 'Loss of enjoyment'?

If it was so bad then however disappointed the children you should have told them that it was not the accommodation you have booked and refused to stay rather than have accepted it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Doubt very much the kids noticed or cared.

Every caravan I've booked states "for illustrative purposes only" on the photos. So never expect that exact van.
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You went into McDonald's, ordered a triple cheese burger, received a double cheeseburger, ate the whole double cheeseburger, now want to complain.

Better start practicing your best compo sad face
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is actually one of the few instances there can be a claim for loss of enjoyment/distress/disappointment - where holidays are involved.

Holidays the purpose of the contract itself is enjoyment/relaxation/peace of mind. Which is why its one of the few instances it can have a legal basis for claiming for loss or reduction of those elements. It would depend on the difference between what was advertised and what was delivered. I mention this because sometimes people make mountains out of molehills. But sometimes people make molehills out of mountains ;)

However awards for such things are usually not overly generous because civil law isn't designed to punish the wrongdoer but to restore the injured party. So keep expectations reasonable & realistic.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • kittennose
    kittennose Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Given you accepted the caravan your answer is in #4.

Thankfully the law doesn't agree with you.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2019 at 9:51AM
    Options
    kittennose wrote: »

Please copy 'the law' into here, because there is no 'law' on this.

Oh wait sorry I found it:

Act 1 of the right to not to be reminded that disabled people exist in caravans law.

How much money do you actually think you're entitled to because you were sad they were disabled aids in your caravan?

I bet your children couldnt give two hoots and had a lovely holiday regardless.

The roof wasnt leaking. The bed wasnt mouldy. There were handrails etc. You are overreacting massively. get a grip.
  • kittennose
    kittennose Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    If you had the same number of rooms, beds and facilities then I don't think you have much hope of getting much back.

How can you have 'Loss of enjoyment'?

If it was so bad then however disappointed the children you should have told them that it was not the accommodation you have booked and refused to stay rather than have accepted it.

If a nice view of the sea was important to you and thus you booked a sea-view room only to find on arrival you got a view of the carpark are you going to up-sticks and fly home and cancel the entire holiday so you can fight for a full refund? I doubt that.

What if you booked a 5 star room and found yourself in a budget room? Fly straight home?

You, and others are suggesting when missold accommodation you have 2 binary options, cancel your entire trip or accept it.

With such a miss-understanding of basic rights is it any wonder why businesses frequently get away with so much misselling and false advertising to British consumers who are often all to happy to just accept it.

*shrugs*
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kittennose wrote: »
    In which case, take them to court and claim back a large proportion of your holiday cost.

Don't forget to ask for a hamper.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    Options
    In which case, take them to court and claim back a large proportion of your holiday cost.

Pretty sure theres a hamper already on order. I'm sure itll be there in the morning.
  • kittennose
    Options

Hopefully it won't go to court, but if it does it does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure