Question about insurance

Options

Comments

• TheEnergyThread
    Options
    [QUOTE=jack_pott;73101216_In_this_Act......."motor_vehicle"_means_a_mechanically_propelled_vehicle_intended_or_adapted_for_use_on_roads..."[/I]
    [/URL]
    So when is a vehicle not a motor vehicle?
    When it runs out of petrol?
    When the battery is flat?
    When a con rod is broken?
    When the engine is taken out?
    When it was never intended for use on the roads in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Also regarding this I do not intend to use or adapt the vehicle for driving purpose once MOT has run out.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apologies, should say the DVA

OK, so the advice you were given (even if correct) does not apply in Great Britain.
  • Car_54
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    "In this Act......."motor vehicle" means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads..."

So when is a vehicle not a motor vehicle?
    When it runs out of petrol?
    When the battery is flat?
    When a con rod is broken?
    When the engine is taken out?
    When it was never intended for use on the roads in the first place?

How does any of this help the OP?

His car is clearly a motor vehicle, and nothing he now does to it will change that fact.
  • TheEnergyThread
    Options
    Quick way to resolve this I will get in contact with the insurance company Monday & just ask whether or not my policy would continue if I sorn the vehicle and keep it off road until it runs out. If not I’ll have to MOT it and sell it instead of scrap it. But thankyou anyway :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    How does any of this help the OP?

They're just thoughts that were prompted by your remark about it still being a car even if "totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away".

What if he takes the battery out/disconnects the prop shaft/removes the wheels/whatever? Where is the line in law between a car and not a car.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I want my NCB without it going void

That's why I was trying to insure mine.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Quick way to resolve this I will get in contact with the insurance company Monday & just ask whether or not my policy would continue if I sorn the vehicle and keep it off road until it runs out. If not I’ll have to MOT it and sell it instead of scrap it. But thankyou anyway :)

You don't need to tell your insurer if you sorn the car!
  • Car_54
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    They're just thoughts that were prompted by your remark about it still being a car even if "totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away".

What if he takes the battery out/disconnects the prop shaft/removes the wheels/whatever? Where is the line in law between a car and not a car.

The definition is "a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads".

The OP's vehicle was originally intended for use on roads, otherwise he would not have bought it, and it could not have been taxed etc.

Removing parts does not change that fact.

BTW the relevant act for MOT matters is the Road Traffic Act 1988, not the Road Traffic Regulation Act, although the definitions are the same.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Your insurance will continue, you might want to take it to an MOT for example, which needs insurance but the journey there and back is exempt from the requirements for road tax or an MOT.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, should say the DVA
    Ah well, Northern Ireland is a whole other country. ;) We don't have a DVA in Great Britain. The equivalent would be the DVSA - not the DVLA.

English court decisions are not binding on Northern Irish courts (though they usually follow them where the underlying law is the same), so it's *possible* that the NI courts might have taken a different interpretation of "using". It's even possible that the underling legislation is different - NI road traffic law is based on GB law but is not always identical. Or it's possible that the NI courts haven't specifically considered the question, and that the bloke at the DVA was guessing.

In any event the situation in NI isn't directly relevant to that in England and Wales, where it's been settled law for decades that a vehicle which is parked on the street is being used and required MOT and insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure