Question about insurance

Options

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    But you said driving, are we back tracking?

Insurance states using too, so can you park a car on a road without insurance?

No im not back tracking, using and driving are 1 in the same, Insurance, I don't know, ive never asked but I don't believe so as its a different issue.

I can only base my answer on what is specifically said on the gov.uk website, and what the DVLA told me personally that my car could be kept on a public road while the MOT certificate was expired, but I must not use it other than to drive to a pre booked appointment or to get it repaired

I have this in writing from the DVLA
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    No im not back tracking, using and driving are 1 in the same, Insurance, I don't know, ive never asked but I don't believe so as its a different issue.

I can only base my answer on what is specifically said on the gov.uk website, and what the DVLA told me personally that my car could be kept on a public road while the MOT certificate was expired, but I must not use it other than to drive to a pre booked appointment or to get it repaired

No they're not, you don't have to be in a vehicle to use it.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    No they're not, you don't have to be in a vehicle to use it.

You'll have to explain that one, How do you use a vehicle without driving?
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options

Owning it for business purposes would be one way.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Section 47 Road Traffic Act say use not drive.

But, but ... "Pumbien v Vines

(1995) The Times June 14 Queen's Bench Divisional Court

A motor car parked on a road was being used on the road for the purposes of sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if it was totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away, and, therefore, required both a valid MOT certificate and an insurance policy.

The Court so held in dismissing an appeal by way of case stated by Andee Pumbien against his conviction of offences of using a motor vehicle on a road without either a valid test certificate or insurance policy contrary to sections 47(1) and 143(1) of the 1988 act."
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,224 Forumite
    Options

I use mine to store stuff. Others use theirs to impress the neighbours.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Could you quote the legislation for me?

Its an offense to drive without MOT, not to keep it on the road

"You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught."

There is nothing about keeping it on the road, the law states, using and driving

Think logically.

Why would the law use the terms 'using' and 'driving', if they just meant driving?

It being kept on the road is using. You will no doubt keep your things in the car - including your fuel, so therefore you are using your car even if it is kept on the road, idle.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Think logically.

Why would the law use the terms 'using' and 'driving', if they just meant driving?

It being kept on the road is using. You will no doubt keep your things in the car - including your fuel, so therefore you are using your car even if it is kept on the road, idle.
    The law quoted says using, the link I posted from .gov.uk says driving

I see a court case has been posted above, however as I say I am basing what I say on what the DVLA told me when asked
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,219 Forumite
    Options

The DVLA don't deal with MOTs. Even if they did, the opinion of some bloke at the DVLA wouldn't trump that of the High Court, which has repeatedly ruled that a car parked on the road is being "used", and requires MOT and insurance (eg Eliot v Grey, 1960, Gosling v Howard 1975, Pumbien v Vines 1995).

I would imagine that in practice if the OP lets his MOT lapse then his chances of getting into trouble for leaving it on the road outside his house are fairly slim (assuming it remains taxed and insured)- but they're not zero.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Aretnap wrote: »
    The DVLA don't deal with MOTs. Even if they did, the opinion of some bloke at the DVLA wouldn't trump that of the High Court, which has repeatedly ruled that a car parked on the road is being "used", and requires MOT and insurance (eg Eliot v Grey, 1960, Gosling v Howard 1975, Pumbien v Vines 1995).

I would imagine that in practice if the OP lets his MOT lapse then his chances of getting into trouble for leaving it on the road outside his house are fairly slim (assuming it remains taxed and insured)- but they're not zero.

that's strange as that's who MOTS my car, and who I pay my money too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport