Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    (Don't flush if it's just a wee?
    Okay, but then enjoy a honking toilet area after a while. Plus, if you're ill, you want something clean rather than something that is likely to make you throw up even more, surely? )

A number of toilet blocks are available from the Ezypeezy to Aldi 99p for 3 that keeep the water a nice smell free blue .
  • andferdav
    Options
    We pay a fortune in Edinburgh for water and sewerage. I looked at what it would cost to be metered and it seems it would be no, or not much, cheaper.

We used to live in Kew and had Thames Water, meter already installed as it was a new build property and paid a LOT (hundreds of £s/year!) less than we do in Scotland.

Water shortages in the S.E. but plenty of water in Scotland so why so expensive? and why are they discouraging water meters with such high prices? :mad:
  • trcy1066
    trcy1066 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I follow the 'if its yellow, let it mellow'. I close the loo lid and keep the bathroom window open all year. My bathroom never smells.
    Actually, as of yesterday, I now wee in a pot by the loo to use on my compost. Less than 24 hours into this experiment I have already noticed a mild aroma so will have to find an eco friendly way to counter this.
  • Why have you not listed Welsh Water???
  • bangon
    bangon Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - Just got my metered water bill from Affinity and looked back at charge increases since May 2013 when I switched to metered supply - which I estimate has saved my family of 4 (medium-water users)at least £200 per year We use approx 3.5 cubic meters per week, essentially 4 adults in the house as my children are both 18 or over and living at home.

The reason for this post is I noticed the sewerage charges have increased by over 6% in each of the last 2 years. Thames Water provide the sewerage services for Affinity in my area (central). I have 2 main questions:

1. I thought the water companies were regulated and could not raise charges by more than a set amount (6.26% in June '14 and 6.16% in June '15 for sewerage seems excessive to me?).

2. Affinity currently charges me £0.7943 per cubic meter for waste water - whereas Thames Water charges their own customers only £0.5233 per cubic meter??? Why such a HUGE discrepancy???

Any insight would be appreciated on both counts.

Note that water charges have increased at a much lower (headline) rate of
    0.56% in June '14 and 2.73% in June '15.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    bangon wrote: »
    Hi - Just got my metered water bill from Affinity and looked back at charge increases since May 2013 when I switched to metered supply - which I estimate has saved my family of 4 (medium-water users)at least £200 per year We use approx 3.5 cubic meters per week, essentially 4 adults in the house as my children are both 18 or over and living at home.

The reason for this post is I noticed the sewerage charges have increased by over 6% in each of the last 2 years. Thames Water provide the sewerage services for Affinity in my area (central). I have 2 main questions:

1. I thought the water companies were regulated and could not raise charges by more than a set amount (6.26% in June '14 and 6.16% in June '15 for sewerage seems excessive to me?).

2. Affinity currently charges me £0.7943 per cubic meter for waste water - whereas Thames Water charges their own customers only £0.5233 per cubic meter??? Why such a HUGE discrepancy???

Any insight would be appreciated on both counts.

Note that water charges have increased at a much lower (headline) rate of
    0.56% in June '14 and 2.73% in June '15.

I think you are incorrect about Thames water sewerage charges

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/tw/common/downloads/literature-water-waste-water-charges/Our_Charges_2015-16_(web).pdf
    For 2015/16, the volume charge

for water is 126.29 pence per cubic

metre, and for wastewater is 79.43

pence per cubic metre.

The £0.5233 you quote is per £RV for those unmetered properties( in certain areas)

To put things in perspective look at the charges for South West Water customers:

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/3/n/Household_Charges_Scheme_2015-2016.pdf

Water costs £1.9810 per cubic metre and Sewerage £3.3436 per cubic metre + standing charges for both.

The reason for the discrepancy in charges was that when water was (stupidly) privatised, the number of properties/businesses and commitments were totally unbalanced.

So the Thames area(including London) has a huge amount of customers and a small area. Compare that with the South West(Devon and Cornwall) with a sparsely populated, but huge area with a commitment to look after the long coast line - so Londoners can holiday there in clean water!

• bangon
    bangon Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply - missed the 'RV' bit :O). Appreciate the vast differences in regional charges - think it has a lot to do with captive markets - we should all pay the same for water we use.
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Options
    Hi just realised that I can get 1.5% discount on my DCWW water bill if I pay the full amount up front by on 1 April. As I still have a couple of months before this is due and they run annual bills on a 10 months payment basis I also have Feb and march payments (and Feb and March council tax payments) to put towards this and then can save up each month thereafter to be ready for next years - thereby giving me a monthly outgoings saving of about £10 per month.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi just realised that I can get 1.5% discount on my DCWW water bill if I pay the full amount up front by on 1 April. As I still have a couple of months before this is due and they run annual bills on a 10 months payment basis I also have Feb and march payments (and Feb and March council tax payments) to put towards this and then can save up each month thereafter to be ready for next years - thereby giving me a monthly outgoings saving of about £10 per month.

Not clear if you are saying you get 1.5% discount for paying water bills up front or 1.5% on water charges and council tax.

If 1.5% saves you £120 a year, it means your total annual bill is £8,000!!
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Not clear if you are saying you get 1.5% discount for paying water bills up front or 1.5% on water charges and council tax.

If 1.5% saves you £120 a year, it means your total annual bill is £8,000!!

I get 1.5% on my DCWW bill if paid in fill on 1 April instead of monthly over 10 months - which is the DD rate.

To ensure I have this money available on 1 April without dipping into my savings my monthly water bill (for 10 months) is £44.66, which I won't be paying in Feb and March - £89
    I won't be paying Council Tax in Feb and March £354.
    Total 443.32 which is about how much my annual water bill is, ready to pay on 1 April. I can then put £36 per month aside for the next 12 months to be ready for 1 April 2017. Thereby having about £10 extra a month for other things.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback