Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Voduka
    Options
    Hi Cardew 
    I am unable to have a water meter via the private company and not able to get connected to Severn Trent.

The bill £346.75 is for 2023/24 and does not include surface water drainage which gets billed through Severn Trent.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Voduka said:
    Hi Cardew 
    I am unable to have a water meter via the private company and not able to get connected to Severn Trent.

The bill £346.75 is for 2023/24 and does not include surface water drainage which gets billed through Severn Trent.
    When water is supplied by Severn Trent and a water meter is unable to be provided you can claim to be placed on a single household assessed charge for used water(sewerage) which for 2023/24 is £88.97pa see Assessed charges | Our charges | My Account | Severn Trent Water (stwater.co.uk)

I see no reason why that assessed charge of £88.97 should not apply when water is supplied by a private company who will not provide a meter.

I suggest you contact Severn Trent and make such a claim. If they refuse ask for that decision in writing and take your case to the Consumer Council for Water see Contact us - we're here to help - CCW

They are very approachable by phone.

If you win we can talk about backdating any claim, albeit by the 'letter of the law' you should have applied for an assessed charge

Good luck

• MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 January at 4:44PM
    Options
    My water is supplied by Wessex water (metered) - who do not state any financial levels for assistance on their website - I suffer from "poor bowel control" which necessitates showers to clean up, up to three per day
    Would this satisfy the conditions ?
    I have prescriptions for loperamide as proof ?
    Is there any limit on savings or just income ?
  • Collis4
    Collis4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I'm with Severn Trent, couldn't have a water meter fitted back in 2023, they failed to offer me an 'Assessed charge bill'. I complained February this year, 2024, and they admitted their mistake. I asked if I could go onto the Assessed charge for 2024/25, and they said my current water charge for 24/25 was £363.70, but if I wanted the Assessed charge it would increase to £414.90, an increase of £51.20? How did they work that one out? They never even asked for any household details? 
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Collis4 said:
    I'm with Severn Trent, couldn't have a water meter fitted back in 2023, they failed to offer me an 'Assessed charge bill'. I complained February this year, 2024, and they admitted their mistake. I asked if I could go onto the Assessed charge for 2024/25, and they said my current water charge for 24/25 was £363.70, but if I wanted the Assessed charge it would increase to £414.90, an increase of £51.20? How did they work that one out? They never even asked for any household details? 
    Welcome to the forum.

The assessed charge is based on the average for a metered property. You have been quoted the assessed charge for the lowest category of property. which generally means flats or terraced houses.

Property type and assessed volume charges

Zone 1 to 8 - £ per year
     Water supplyUsed Water*Highway drainage
    Detached house (including link-detached)297.02211.4017.09
    Semi-detached house247.59177.8317.09
    Other household premises217.98157.7417.09
    Single occupancy household122.7493.0517.09

*Plus the appropriate charge for surface water drainage (see Metered charges)

You can see from the above that 'other household premises' pay £392.81 in addition you are quoted for the Surface Water Drainage charge which you will be paying on your Rateable Value(RV) charges.

To have 2024/25 charges of £363.70 you will have a low Rateable Value and the charges depend on your zone see Our charges | My Account | Severn Trent Water (stwater.co.uk)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback