What are my rights? We need to cancel a trip to Mexico as I cannot travel there due to pregnancy.

Options
My husband surprised me with a special holiday to Mexico to celebrate a special birthday.
We were both being surprised to find we were expecting a new arrival in August.

We arranged a trip to our local Thomas Cook store to seek advice from their travel “experts” With their support we moved our holiday a week earlier so we would return in June rather than July giving us a good month and a half before baby’s arrival. This amendment to cost us £100 for administration fees. The reason for our amendment was made very clear that it was due to pregnancy.
With their support we moved our holiday a week earlier so we would return in June rather than July giving us a good month and a half before babies arrival. This amendment cost us £100 for administration fees. The reason for our amendment was made very clear that it was due to pregnancy.
Thankfully a friend informed me about zikka Virus and the effects it can have an on unborn children. The government health site confirms pregnant women should not should not travel to these zones.
We are so disappointed neither of the two travel agents we spoke to mentioned this risk. For us to cancel our holiday it will cost us £250 each. We do not want to amend our holiday further as we do not have confidence in the company.
We have travel insurance however we have yet to inform them of the change of dates for travel with the added complication we will not be travelling at all.

I am wondering if we have any consumer rights to prevent us from losing £600

Thanks in advance for your comments

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills