What are my rights? We need to cancel a trip to Mexico as I cannot travel there due to pregnancy.

Options

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got the impression that the trip was booked before the conception....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Don't they have babies in Mexico?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I got the impression that the trip was booked before the conception....

Yes but they could cancel and lose £250 (and use the holiday budget for the additional expense of having a baby) or bring the holiday forward to much earlier in the pregnancy.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't they have babies in Mexico?

Mexican parents cannot protect their babies from Zika, just as British parents cannot protect their babies from Brexit. Best practice is to avoid exposing your baby to both hazards.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think it's unreasonable to expect travel agent staff to give advice on health issues.

I would expect them to be aware of official government advice about the destinations that they promote.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I would expect them to be aware of official government advice about the destinations that they promote.

Really?
    I wouldn't have those expectations.
    It's not as though the information is only available to 'travel advisors'. It's in the public domain.
    But then again, I can't remember the last time I set foot in a travel agent shop.
    And I only trust myself for awareness of travel related stuff.
    I don't even go to my GP to discuss holiday vaccinations unless I've done the research myself beforehand.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect travel agents to be aware of a major specific health hazard in foreign parts, especially a popular holiday destination like Mexico - and to caution customers seeking to go there accordingly.

Being economical with the truth springs to mind.

Obviously opinions differ.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect travel agents to be aware of a major specific health hazard in foreign parts, especially a popular holiday destination like Mexico - and to caution customers seeking to go there accordingly.

Being economical with the truth springs to mind.

Obviously opinions differ.

The terms and conditions of booking a package holiday normally place this responsibility on the customer.

Thomas Cook for example say:-

"It’s your responsibility to make sure everyone travelling has valid travel documents (e.g. Passport, Visa) and has followed health advice. For up to date UK Government health & travel advice please visit https://www.gov.uk/foreign-traveladvice, https://www.hpa.org.uk and https://www.nathnac.org and contact your GP.

Please also see our Holiday Information pages and website for more information.

We can’t accept any liability for your failure to do this."
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Mexican parents cannot protect their babies from Zika, just as British parents cannot protect their babies from Brexit. Best practice is to avoid exposing your baby to both hazards.

Are you suggesting mexican parents should protect themselves from the hazard that is brexit.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    The terms and conditions of booking a package holiday normally place this responsibility on the customer.
    Understood - the standard "get out of jail" small print to absolve the operator if adverse circumstances prevail, no arguement on the legality etc.

However, I would still expect a travel agent to be clued up and forthcoming on relevant major health issues in the exercise of his/her profession.

Just my view, as I said, others differ.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport