What are my rights? We need to cancel a trip to Mexico as I cannot travel there due to pregnancy.

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I think if you have a good independent travel agent, they may well advise on health issues, documentation, etc.

But people want cheap prices instead of paying for quality. The big TAs are just trying to sell as many holidays as possible as cheaply as possible and trying to stay afloat in competition with DIY and the internet.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    The big TAs are just trying to sell as many holidays as possible as cheaply as possible and trying to stay afloat in competition with DIY and the internet

Seconded, all about sales.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Understood - the standard "get out of jail" small print to absolve the operator if adverse circumstances prevail, no arguement on the legality etc.

However, I would still expect a travel agent to be clued up and forthcoming on relevant major health issues in the exercise of his/her profession.

Just my view, as I said, others differ.

I think that is an unreasonable expectation. However, when the government has issued travel advice then an agent ought to be aware of it, and take it into account.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Are you suggesting mexican parents should protect themselves from the hazard that is brexit.

They have already done so: none of the Mexican babies born this year are going to lose the right to freedom of movement (apart from a tiny number with dual nationality).
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Understood - the standard "get out of jail" small print to absolve the operator if adverse circumstances prevail, no arguement on the legality etc.

The law about "duty of care" would over-ride terms in a contract.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    I’m not sure why you think TC have any liability - they didn’t get you pregnant. That was your choice (even by accident / inaction).

Congratulations on the new arrival, but I think you need to focus more on the personal responsibility side of this and hope they give you some goodwill.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They have already done so: none of the Mexican babies born this year are going to lose the right to freedom of movement (apart from a tiny number with dual nationality).

Have you not heard about Trump's wall then?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The law about "duty of care" would over-ride terms in a contract.

What law is that then?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think that is an unreasonable expectation. However, when the government has issued travel advice then an agent ought to be aware of it, and take it into account.
    And so should the traveller be aware of it.

It's called personal responsibility.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Have you not heard about Trump's wall then?
    Oh no - is that part of brexit? I don't remember any mention of it on the side of the bus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure