Esa question

Options
Hi I went for an assessment for my esa I was in support group and then after my assessment I got put into work related activity group, I put in for esa before April 2017 how much will I get from esa now I’m in the other group and what do I need to do for this group, I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration as I think it is wrong as I suffer bad with anxiety And depression and I have been in the support group for 3 years can anyone explain further.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi I went for an assessment for my esa I was in support group and then after my assessment I got put into work related activity group, I put in for esa before April 2017 how much will I get from esa now I’m in the other group and what do I need to do for this group, I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration as I think it is wrong as I suffer bad with anxiety And depression and I have been in the support group for 3 years can anyone explain further.
    WRAG amount for you is £102.15 per week.

You’re not expected to look for work, but you can be asked to go to a work-focused interview and then do work-related activities. These activities are things that the DWP thinks will improve your chances of working in the future. More information in link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/about-the-esa-groups/

If you have issues going out because of your anxiety then speak to your work coach, it maybe possible to have telephone interviews instead of going to your local Job Centre.
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    So if I started the claim in January 2017 for esa does that mean I still get the £102 a week and thank you for that information when I see my work coach I will ask him about phone call interviews
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    And if I get paid fortnightly now on support group and a top up on universal credit monthly how will the payments work for the activity group
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    And if I get paid fortnightly now on support group and a top up on universal credit monthly how will the payments work for the activity group

From your question I infer you are receiving contribution based ESA and also receiving Universal Credit as a top up.

Your ESA amount is now £73.10 plus £29.05/week = £102.15/week = £442.65/month.

Your UC entitlement (assuming you are age 25 or over) is £317.82 plus £126.11/month = £443.93/month. So unless you have additional elements of UC such as the housing element your UC would be £1.28/month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    So will I get my payment monthly or fortnightly as On support group I was get £223 a fortnight and then £145 top up monthly on uc plus my housing element so how do the payments work on the work related activity group it’s confusing
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2019 at 12:46PM
    Options
    So will I get my payment monthly or fortnightly as On support group I was get £223 a fortnight and then £145 top up monthly on uc plus my housing element so how do the payments work on the work related activity group it’s confusing

ESA is paid fortnightly. UC is paid monthly. That doesn't change just because you've changed group. Your total income each month will be £210.09 less in the WRAG than in the Support Group.

After 365 days in the ESA WRAG your ESA will end and you will switch completely to UC. This will not make any difference to the total amount of money you receive. If you are successful getting put back into the ESA Support Group then your ESA will continue.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    I get what you mean now as you calculate over 52 weeks to get that amount I was adding £223+£223+£145 = £591 but I forgot you calculate it by 52 weeks and it comes out a different amount I get what you mean now
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    £102.15 a week x 52 = £5,311.08 then devide by 12 = £442.65 a month plus my housing benefit
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    I think I understand now
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    ESA is paid fortnightly. UC is paid monthly. That doesn't change just because you've changed group. Your total income each month will be £210.09 less in the WRAG than in the Support Group.

After 365 days in the ESA WRAG your ESA will end and you will switch completely to UC. This will not make any difference to the total amount of money you receive. If you are successful getting put back into the ESA Support Group then your ESA will continue.

I too was in support group for 3 years, after reassessment was put into wrag but knew it was wrong. After MR was sent with more evidence, I was still in wrag. I had a representative, filled in tribunal form. As there is no response time, I waited 6 weeks and then rang ESA people. They quickly done by paperwork and heard from tribunal, I was put back into support group. My claim was before 2017.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure